Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Broberg probably could've tried to play better in pre-season if he wanted a legit shot to play minutes last year.
I feel like Broberg saw the Oilers make room for Bouchard by trading Barrie and felt like they should have done the same with him.

The thing is Bouchard showed he had the ability to take over the offense from the back end which made Barrie expendable.

Broberg didn’t show an ability to replace any of our LD.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It isn't a bad idea to explore, but they can't get a marginal return (with the cap space) while expecting Dermott to be an everyday at 3LD.
Dermott shouldn't even be in the league at this point, let alone being called a top 4 and better than Broberg by some Oiler fans early on. Beyond the top pairing and Kulak, its pretty sad.

Reactions: Tom Brady

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Dermott shouldn't even be in the league at this point, let alone being called a top 4 and better than Broberg by some Oiler fans early on. Beyond the top pairing and Kulak, its pretty sad.
lolz, Dermott is fine as 6/7, he just can't be in the top-4, you are correct, and probably shouldn't play everyday.

That said if they move Kulak and get a solid 2RD back for the space. They could recall Gleason and go

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - new 3RD
Dermott/Gleason - Stetcher
Gleason/ Dermott

With both Kulak and Emberson headed out.

North

Jun 25, 2009
lolz, Dermott is fine as 6/7, he just can't be in the top-4, you are correct, and probably shouldn't play everyday.

That said if they move Kulak and get a solid 2RD back for the space. They could recall Gleason and go

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - new 3RD
Dermott/Gleason - Stetcher
Gleason/ Dermott

With both Kulak and Emberson headed out.
That bottom pairing is a bad idea.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dermott, Stetcher and Emberson on a team with good defensive depth are #6 or #7D at best. I cut Emberson more slack because of his inexperience. I like the tools that he brings but he is still quite raw.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
If only we’d given him a chance instead of making him a #7 Dman for 2 years after making a few mistakes…

The spot he “had” to take was Kulak’s, and failed every time.

I’m not so sure they would have made it to game 7 of the finals with Broberg in over Kulak, are you?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It isn't a bad idea to explore, but they can't get a marginal return (with the cap space) while expecting Dermott to be an everyday at 3LD.
It made a lot more sense back when we had a borderline blue chip LD that had all the qualities of today's preferred defenseman.

Dermott sucks.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The spot he “had” to take was Kulak’s, and failed every time.

I’m not so sure they would have made it to game 7 of the finals with Broberg in over Kulak, are you?
Broberg literally stepped into the 2nd pairing to fix up the disaster that was Darnell Nurse and thrived lmfao, something Kulak and Ceci couldn't do. He is just a better player than Kulak and now that he's finally playing on his proper side, the gap looks even bigger. Putting off his contract negotiation and letting it go to offer sheet is pure negligence.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Broberg literally stepped into the 2nd pairing to fix up the disaster that was Darnell Nurse and thrived lmfao, something Kulak and Ceci couldn't do. He is just a better player than Kulak and now that he's finally playing on his proper side, the gap looks even bigger. Putting off his contract negotiation and letting it go to offer sheet is pure negligence.

I’m surprised you’re such a big fan, being an advanced stats guy

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Our too 4 should have been Bouchard, Ek , Broberg and Nurse. Kulak being #5. Good enough to win a cup

Our fxxx around management decided to fxxx around and found out. Amateur hour.

Also starting to look at Arvidsson not doing anything the first 6 games and being invisible today against Dallas as a bad sign. He's not fitting well at all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our too 4 should have been Bouchard, Ek , Broberg and Nurse. Kulak being #5. Good enough to win a cup

Our fxxx around management decided to fxxx around and found out. Amateur hour.

Also starting to look at Arvidsson not doing anything the first 6 games and being invisible today against Dallas as a bad sign. He's not fitting well at all.

He saved a goal from going in. He was brought in to play with McDavid or Draisaitl and the team bailed on that plan by like game 2.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If only he earned a spot out of camp the 3 previous camps so that we knew exactly what we had in him over a full season. Instead he shit the bed.
I can't fault the Oilers for not playing him when he wasn't ready. He needed that year in the AHL. I can fault them for not realizing what they had after he had an amazing playoffs though. 4.5M and a tough decision needed to be made at that point, we didn't make it.

I feel like Broberg saw the Oilers make room for Bouchard by trading Barrie and felt like they should have done the same with him.

The thing is Bouchard showed he had the ability to take over the offense from the back end which made Barrie expendable.

Broberg didn’t show an ability to replace any of our LD.
Nurse being so completely shit in the playoffs, while Broberg was solid with upward potential. It's not an easy decision still, and were stuck with Nurse. But if they could have pulled something off that was near impossible we'd be in a much better spot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean probably a pretty good chance they could have kept both Holloway and Broberg if they didn't have that dead cap from Connor Brown. I said it then, it's extremely reckless for a GM to "not give a shit" about the salary cap for the next season when every other team was going to get a spending boost, and that's basically exactly what happened. The Blues had more cap space than what they knew to do with while the Oilers were stuck hoping to McLeod both Holloway and Broberg and they paid the price.

Holland bears a lot of the blame for putting the team in a bad spot.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean probably a pretty good chance they could have kept both Holloway and Broberg if they didn't have that dead cap from Connor Brown. I said it then, it's extremely reckless for a GM to "not give a shit" about the salary cap for the next season when every other team was going to get a spending boost, and that's basically exactly what happened. The Blues had more cap space than what they knew to do with while the Oilers were stuck hoping to McLeod both Holloway and Broberg and they paid the price.

Holland bears a lot of the blame for putting the team in a bad spot.
Atleast the Brown contract averaged out and he helped out in the playoffs. I don't view Brown or his deal negatively for that reason.

Different decisions in the offseason could have allowed us to keep Broberg. Not signing Arvie gets us there. But then again, at that point we didn't predict the Broberg offersheet.... that others around the League were able to predict.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Atleast the Brown contract averaged out and he helped out in the playoffs. I don't view Brown or his deal negatively for that reason.

Different decisions in the offseason could have allowed us to keep Broberg. Not signing Arvie gets us there. But then again, at that point we didn't predict the Broberg offersheet.... that others around the League were able to predict.

I feel like Draisaitl asked for 2 good wingers in his exit meeting, which fair enough was not an unreasonable ask. You're not going to want to play with Foegele and McLeod forever.

Maybe they could have passed on signing Henrique but he does make the team better and took a bit of a discount.

The Brown bonus IMO probably cost them two 1st round picks, but that's kind of a fitting cherry on the top of the shit sundae which has been the Oilers drafting and development the last 10 years.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

Sorry, maybe I missed that, but just wondering who predicted the offersheets?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sorry, maybe I missed that, but just wondering who predicted the offersheets?
Friggin Flames Fans on HFboards predicted it like weeks before it happened. Flames podcasts were talking about it too.

Of course they are ultra focused on all things Oilers, so they would be talking about it. But if those asshats could see it, you gotta know GM offices around the League could see it coming.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I’m surprised you’re such a big fan, being an advanced stats guy
I mean he's definitely not as good as the +/- indicates and definitely benefitted from some puck luck. But the reality is that Darnell Nurse looked like a complete pylon when playing with Ceci/Kulak during the playoffs and when Broberg was moved into the pair it was actually fine.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
honestly feels like every single move this org made in the summer is backfiring.
Skinner- Good move he is working hard.
Arvidsson- Much worse than he even was last year
Emberson- Not an NHL player
Dermott- Awful
J Brown- Lol
Henrique- Fine
Savoie- Could be fine, still way too early to tell.
Foegele Out- Good
Holloway- Could use him
Broberg- I can’t even shit on him right now.

What’s funny is if you don’t sign J Brown and Arvidsson you could have kept Broberg and Holloway and have probably had a better team. And I still don’t think Broberg is all that good but he is better than Brown, Dermott and our AHL guys.

He looked passable at times and like a deer in headlights for a lot more time. He didn't outplay Desharnais until the last season. To keep him at $4.? million we would've needed to move Ceci and Kulak and ran bare bones on the 3rd pairing. He wanted to leave and his agent likely went hunting for an offersheet. The worst part of it is that he dragged Holloway into it as well. Straight up Broberg can f*** himself, not because he took the bag but because he didn't earn the bag here in spite of being given so many chances to do so and even then he was still bitter and wanted out.
What’s funny is if we replace Arvidsson with Holloway we probably have a better lineup. Arvidsson has been next to useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad