Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don’t think our defense needs another slowish smallish defender.
Average speed. Plays both sides. Which other D on the roster is small other than part time Stetcher?

The issue is that we chose to sign Dermott, who isn't really getting the job done. Nor has he ever really established himself at the NHL level.

Brannstrom was a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You're right not every player gets better with more experience, but he has already proven over a short sample size that he has the ability to be an effective NHL player, and should improve with more time to adjust to the new team and get more comfortable in the NHL

. He played very well for 30 games on a horrifically bad San Jose team, and has now played mediocre to bad on the Oilers for 3 games. Why are you so willing to discount the good 30 games and take the 3 bad ones as who he is as a player?

Seems your mind is made up on him, no matter what he does.
I didn't watch his 30 games with San Jose. Did you? Who's saying he was good there? I'll make my judgements based on what I'm seeing, so far he doesn't look good, but i'm willing to watch more.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Average speed. Plays both sides. Which other D on the roster is small other than part time Stetcher?

The issue is that we chose to sign Dermott, who isn't really getting the job done. Nor has he ever really established himself at the NHL level.

Brannstrom was a missed opportunity.
I mean this basically describes Dermott lol.

Reactions: North

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Stu and his moustache can walk if he asks for 6.75

I'd rather pay 1M for wash up starters like LA than overpay Skinner for no reason by 4M
Yeah. It'd be a mistake to overvalue his experience here. Hopefully they can come to the agreement that he's a ~$4m goalie and they can get an extension done.

I've seen it mentioned before, but I like the idea of targeting MacKenzie Blackwood. Athletic goalie with a great glovehand and still some room for growth. A tandem of he and Skinner would be nice to run with if you could lock them up for under $7m combined.

Reactions: TB12 and La Bamba

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Arvidson played like 15 games and emberson 30. This is a bad take. Our offense is A plus.
Kane 24 in 77 games
Foegele 20 in 82 games
McLeod 12 in 81 games
Holloway 6 in 38 games
Gagner 5 in 28 games
Ceci 5 in 79 games
Carrick 2 in 16 games
Erne 1 in 24 games
Desharnais 1 in 78 games

Games played: 503
Goals: 76
Goals per game: 0.151

Podkolzin 0 goals last year in 19 games
Emberson 1 goal last year in 30 games
Dermott 2 goals last year in 50 games
Arvidsson 6 goals last year in 18 games
Skinner 24 goals last year in 74 games

Games played: 191 games
Goals: 33 goals
Goals per game: 0.173

Fair points... the goals per game from the groups are similar. Problem being that you also have to hope those new players can play close to 80 games as well as the pool of decent players has overall been reduced a LOT when the inevitable injuries hit.

I do think they'll have a harder time this year filling the net than they did last season... but we'll wait and see how their goals per game compares to last year. As I said in other posts... I may be overly pessimistic but as with everything we'll have to wait and see how the team performs once players start to develop chemistry with each other which takes some time.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Dermott is four years removed from having any semblance of ability to handle an NHL workload. Erik Brannstrom earned a raise with his play at that level and essentially met the expectations of it.

Dermott just isn't an NHL defenseman.
I’m not sure Brannstrom is either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
1729219744934.png

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Up front I'd like to see us upgrade on Podkolzin. The question is though, is it worth paying for an upgrade when he's likely just a placeholder until Kane eventually returns?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad