Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he's the next Devon Toews I'll be ecstatic. But that doesn't shield him from any and all criticism. Let's be real, he hasn't looked good in the Regular season. Had some positive flashes in the preseason this year and even last year. But if he's going to be realistic option on the right side, he's going to have to take some major steps forward.
I blame Oilers management much more than I blame Emberson.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Shows me exactly what I expected, they weren't prepared for the reality of not massively overachieving

You're telling me that a team from last year with multiple players having career high shooting % wouldn't be sustainable the next season? No waaaaaay. Nuck fans are morons. Evident enough from the 2014-2015 flames and the 2013-2014 avalanche seasons alike.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You're telling me that a team from last year with multiple players having career high shooting % wouldn't be sustainable the next season? No waaaaaay. Nuck fans are morons. Evident enough from the 2014-2015 flames and the 2013-2014 avalanche seasons alike.
I mean, I know it's shocking, but turns out unsustainable things tend toward unsustainability.

• Haha
Reactions: McAsuno

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This is of course the correct take. Emberson being forced into a role he wasn't ready for is classic Oilers management.
But continuing to let him "develop" at the NHL level is also bad, for the team and the player.

Of course its management's fault, no one has suggested otherwise, the player no being good enough is also just a problem. Two things can be true.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I blame Oilers management much more than I blame Emberson.

I get this perspective but it's not about "blame". It's that Emberson failed to see an opportunity and make the most of it. Now that the Emberson experiment failed its time to move on and find someone else.

Also Emberson hasn't looked good in a bottom pairing role either, so at some point you have to look at the player and be disappointed in them.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
leT's gO PeTEy

9RRSYR.gif

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I get this perspective but it's not about "blame". It's that Emberson failed to see an opportunity and make the most of it. Now that the Emberson experiment failed its time to move on and find someone else.

Also Emberson hasn't looked good in a bottom pairing role either, so at some point you have to look at the player and be disappointed in them.
He had some flashes in preseason and has played what, 3 whole games? His previous 30 games on an NHL worst team tell us he has some talent and capability. Whether he is able to find it again remains to be seen. But pulling the plug after 3 games where the whole team was shite?

Seems like the normal thing to do around here :D

Reactions: TB12 and North

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He had some flashes in preseason and has played what, 3 whole games? His previous 30 games on an NHL worst team tell us he has some talent and capability. Whether he is able to find it again remains to be seen. But pulling the plug after 3 games where the whole team was shite?

Seems like the normal thing to do around here :D

It might sound crazy and you can give it more time (if you want) but the expectations for the team are high and we can't afford to be dropping games while he may or may not find his game.

I just don't see the potential where you can trust this guy in a playoff series with the way he has been playing so far. Hopefully he proves me wrong though.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It might sound crazy and you can give it more time (if you want) but the expectations for the team are high and we can't afford to be dropping games while he may or may not find his game.

I just don't see the potential where you can trust this guy in a playoff series with the way he has been playing so far. Hopefully he proves me wrong though.
I get it. I just don't see where other options are going to come from this early on. And he doesn't need to be trusted in a playoff series. There's 5 months between now and then and I'm with you in that I doubt he's the guy come spring.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I get it. I just don't see where other options are going to come from this early on. And he doesn't need to be trusted in a playoff series. There's 5 months between now and then and I'm with you in that I doubt he's the guy come spring.

Personally I would want Liljegren from Toronto if the price is right. Have a 3rd team retain half the salary (5th round pick?) and acquire him for future considerations or a C level prospect (or even emberson). Leafs would just be happy moving off his contract for nothing IMO.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

The alternative to Emberson is spending more assets for another defenceman, one which we will have to overpay for given our bargaining position right now.

I don't disagree with you that Emberson has been poor, and it's not likely that he's going to magically turn into a second pairing defenceman after 10,30 or 50 more games.

I think you have to ride it out though, and accumulate cap space for a second pairing RHD at the deadline. Of course if there is an opportunity earlier than that you take it, but I don't think running out and pushing the panic button right now is the right thing to do

Reactions: McDoused

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree but usage matters.
If a player isnt being utilized properly it severely limits that players ability to suceed.
Playing a player like Emberson (who only has 30 games of NHL experience) in a 2nd pairing RHD spot and partnering him with an essentially useless mentor like Nurse is not in any way conducive to success.
Playing such an inexperienced player against the other teams best and 2nd best players (with a tire fire for a partner) is not going to boost Embersons confidence at all. Its going to undermine it.
So the team essentially messed with Emberson and then moved him down and many on this board see that small sample size being representative of the player.

My position...pump the brakes a bit and let Emberson settle in (appropriately) in a bottom pairing role and see how he does.
Judging the player without factoring in that he was misussed in the first couple of games and then hasnt settled in on the bottom pairing is a bit premature IMO.
He is a young player on a new team and his new team didnt use him properly at all in the first couple of games.
Give him time to settle in.

The real issue here for me is that this team had its collective head up its ass thinking that it could use Emberson as a 2nd pairing RHD in the first place.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad