Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So I know I'm late to the party (I've been really sick), and I should really read through a dozen pages in the waiver thread. But I'm lazy and I hope someone will help.

Can someone please summarize how VGK were able to take one of our waiver eligible players Lavoie, claim him and demote him to their AHL club?

I thought I knew how waivers worked... Basically if a player isn't good enough to make your NHL club, other teams have a chance to put him on their NHL roster. But if they claim him, he can't be sent to the AHL without clearing waivers. In which case, they would almost certainly be claimed and kept by their original team.

So I know there was a lot of back and forth. But if we wanted to put Lavoie in the AHL and couldn't without VGK claiming him back. How could VGK put Lavoie in the AHL without us claiming him back? Because they have higher waiver priority than us?

Perhaps my brain is too simple to understand the intricacies. But if VGK can claim a player off of waivers and put that player in their AHL system, why wouldn't everyone be doing this?

Couldn't SJS claim whoever they want from other NHL clubs and put them in their own AHL system? Basically steal everyone's overripe prospects?

I just don't get it.
First feel better yo.

2nd, as I understand it, if the team waives a player and their claimed, then the team that claims him waives him again, if that original team claims the player without any other claims, it's treated as if that player has "passed" through waivers and they can go to the AHL

If this situation, if Nucks or Avs hadn't f***ed the Oilers, the Oilers would have claimed Lavoie back, he would have been considered to have cleared waivers and could be sent straight to Bako.

Because there was another claim, the Oilers were required to either keep Lavoie in the NHL or waive him again, they did, Vegas claimed (without any other claims) him "back" so it's like he cleared waivers and he's in Hendo.

If that makes sense.

Reactions: jukon

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
First feel better yo.

2nd, as I understand it, if the team waives a player and their claimed, then the team that claims him waives him again, if that original team claims the player without any other claims, it's treated as if that player has "passed" through waivers and they can go to the AHL

If this situation, if Nucks or Avs hadn't f***ed the Oilers, the Oilers would have claimed Lavoie back, he would have been considered to have cleared waivers and could be sent straight to Bako.

Because there was another claim, the Oilers were required to either keep Lavoie in the NHL or waive him again, they did, Vegas claimed (without any other claims) him "back" so it's like he cleared waivers and he's in Hendo.

If that makes sense.
So it's a bizarre loophole created by teams not making claims when VGK claimed, but making claims when we claimed?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So it's a bizarre loophole created by teams not making claims when VGK claimed, but making claims when we claimed?
exactly that, had no one "tried" to claim Lavoie when the Oilers did, he would have "cleared" waivers and would be in Bako, but that "right (I guess you can call it)" passed to Vegas when the Oilers re-waived him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I guarantee that Alvin the chipmunk GM in Van upgrades his top 4 before us. Their D is also terrible. Deharnais just got 1 game so far lol. Their goalies haven't been terribad
Van fans say that Desharnais was always meant to be a project. Two million per for a project? That’s not smart.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
exactly that, had no one "tried" to claim Lavoie when the Oilers did, he would have "cleared" waivers and would be in Bako, but that "right (I guess you can call it)" passed to Vegas when the Oilers re-waived him.

Could there have been any logic to why COL or VAN would submit a claim when we waive Lavoie but not when VGK waive him?

Or it can only be defined as just GMs messing around?

Reactions: TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
Could there have been any logic to why COL or VAN would submit a claim when we waive Lavoie but not when VGK waive him?

Apparently Colorado had some injuries so it could have been legit they put the claim in when we won it.

Then when we put Lavoie on waivers, the Jets put Kahkonen (spelling?) on waivers and Colorado claimed him because they need goaltending too.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Apparently Colorado had some injuries so it could have been legit they put the claim in when we won it.

Then when we put Lavoie on waivers, the Jets put Kahkonen (spelling?) on waivers and Colorado claimed him because they need goaltending too.
Sure, but that's also a lie, because the order of who got first "dibs" on waiver claims was still set from last season, so Colorado was FULLY aware they weren't going to "win" this claim.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure, but that's also a lie, because the order of who got first "dibs" on waiver claims was still set from last season, so Colorado was FULLY aware they weren't going to "win" this claim.
Colorado could have been counting on what happened last year to happen again.

Vegas did the same thing with Florida and Grigori Denisenko last year as they did with us and Lavoie. Vegas claimed Denisenko then waived him, but Florida chose not to re-claim. If that happens again, Lavoie ends up in Colorado.

There's no downside for them to put in a claim just in case.

Reactions: Faelko

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Lemieux sucks, but I wouldn't mind having him as an extra forward. I don't think they put in a claim though (who will they waive?)

North

Jun 25, 2009
I’m not saying it’s legit or I believe it to be. Just that there is a realm of possibility that they were on the up and up.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Van fans say that Desharnais was always meant to be a project. Two million per for a project? That’s not smart.
They’re already getting high with copium about that contract

Colorado claimed a goalie when lavoie was waived by the oilers so they didn’t claim
Lavoie the second time

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They’re already getting high with copium about that contract

Colorado claimed a goalie when lavoie was waived by the oilers so they didn’t claim
Lavoie the second time
Lolz that doesn't matter, they can claim as many people as they can fit

I’m not saying it’s legit or I believe it to be. Just that there is a realm of possibility that they were on the up and up.
Lolz ok sure. So the avs front office is just largely not smart then by this logic

I was thinking the same thing. He's not particularly good at hockey, but he will punch a face here and there and he's an absolute rat. Might take some of the physical heavy lifting off of a guy like Perry
His fancies last year, according to cap site we all use now, were passable for a bottom-6 forward.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I was hoping a good defenseman would be waived while the Oilers were at the bottom of the standings but they had to go and win a game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was hoping a good defenseman would be waived while the Oilers were at the bottom of the standings but they had to go and win a game.

Stetcher is a +5 in 9 games with the Oilers playing primarily with like Nurse or Kulak.

Last night he fought a guy half a foot taller than him to stand up for our goalie.

What the f*** does this guy have to do to get a fair shot here? He's probably as good as Ceci is, maybe better in some respects.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Stetcher is a +5 in 9 games with the Oilers playing primarily with like Nurse or Kulak.

Last night he fought a guy half a foot taller than him to stand up for our goalie.

What the f*** does this guy have to do to get a fair shot here? He's probably as good as Ceci is, maybe better in some respects.
I liked Stetcher when it wasn't cool to like Stetcher. The problem with Stetcher is he has difficulties staying healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad