Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Broberg..Whatever. Overpay him. Good for STL

I would have liked to Keep Holloway. It could have EASILY been done.

I think Jackson got cocky and arrogant and thought these 2 would "take less" like others did, but those others alrrady made a boat load of $$.

He did not prioritize them at all. I don't like Brobergs attitude. He has had 1 foot out the door (and the prick talked to Holloway about leaving on offersheets). Holloway should have been a priority.
Sigh…McLeod was treated the exact same way. The difference? He sucked it up and took the reasonable RFA deal and earned a higher contract the next year. Unfortunately that contract is exactly why he’s no longer with us along with the fact he couldn’t stake a claim to 3C.

Holloway and Broberg (save for Broberg being in the press box for too long) have not been hard done by and were not being hard done by. They were oft injured and only recently showed any semblance of a pulse.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Jackson comes across as an arrogant pompous know it all. He nickel and dimed Holloway while signing an ancient relic right in his face. I'm sure Holloway felt slighted.

Whats done is done. I just hope these guys in a panic don't trade away Savoie and Reilly for another aging bum.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jackson comes across as an arrogant pompous know it all. He nickel and dimed Holloway while signing an ancient relic right in his face. I'm sure Holloway felt slighted.

Whats done is done. I just hope these guys in a panic don't trade away Savoie and Reilly for another aging bum.
That would be beyond stupid. Unless we can get a top #2/#3 RHD on a decent contract for those guys we need them to inject some youth to the team over the next couple of seasons. I'd kill for a 22 year old Clattenburg on this team right now too.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Sigh…McLeod was treated the exact same way. The difference? He sucked it up and took the reasonable RFA deal and earned a higher contract the next year. Unfortunately that contract is exactly what he’s no longer with us along with the fact he couldn’t stake a claim to 3C.

Holloway and Broberg (save for Broberg being in the press box for too long) have not been hard done by and were not being hard done by. They were oft injured and only recently showed any semblance of a pulse.
No one was lining up to offer sheet Mcleod. It was a perfect storm for Broberg and Holloway. Both high draft picks and coming off impressive playoff runs.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018

I hated the Jackson hire from day 1. His only previous experience as an executive was a brief tenure as an AGM for a failure of a Leafs team. Handing him the reigns to the back half of McDrai’s career is an incredibly big gamble by Katz.

He still has goodwill with a large portion of the fanbase because we’re dopamine junkies who were enthralled with the social media notifications and “confirmed signing with link” posts during free agency, but before long most of the fan base will have turned on him. He has already done more harm than good to this point.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I did buy the koolaid that broberg priced himself out of Edmonton with his offer sheet signing.....but that 3 game statline is extra spicy right now.

Currently, Holland killed the team with the Nurse signing. Broberg is better than we thought.

But no reason to come to that conclusion after 3 games unless you like wallowing--- like I do.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I hated the Jackson hire from day 1. His only previous experience as an executive was a brief tenure as an AGM for a failure of a Leafs team. Handing him the reigns to the back half of McDrai’s career is an incredibly big gamble by Katz.

He still has goodwill with a large portion of the fanbase because we’re dopamine junkies who were enthralled with the social media notifications and “confirmed signing with link” posts during free agency, but before long most of the fan base will have turned on him. He has already done more harm than good to this point.
So, the large majority of "experts", talking heads, etc. were also ALL wrong when it came to their view and feelings on this team? Everyone was tricked by Jackson, and none them actually know what they are talking about? Not only did the moves in the offseason, that most people like, backfire, but those moves also caused our top players from last season, proven players, who have played together for a while now, to also fail. Skinner, Arv., and company have made Hyman, McDavid, RNH, Bouchard, and Ekholm (Arguably the best 1st line and top D pairing in the NHL last season) to now become crap? wow. Jackson must be some kind of super idiot, how the heck did he trick so many people? myself included, I feel like such as idiot.

I thought the slow start might of had to do with the combination of...

-a high amount of turnover (Skinner/Arv./Pod/Emb./Dermott - IN, Ceci/Broberg/Holloway/Vinny/Kane (injury) - OUT)
-Stanley Cup Final Hangover/Short Summer(Offseason)
-small sample size

what a dummy I am. But, at least I'm not alone. Oh well, last year was fun, might as well watch the NFL.

Reactions: bzur

North

Jun 25, 2009
No one was lining up to offer sheet Mcleod. It was a perfect storm for Broberg and Holloway. Both high draft picks and coming off impressive playoff runs.
And yet they were still question marks because it was a small sample size.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So, the large majority of "experts", talking heads, etc. were also ALL wrong when it came to their view and feelings on this team? Everyone was tricked by Jackson, and none them actually know what they are talking about? Not only did the moves in the offseason, that most people like, backfire, but those moves also caused our top players from last season, proven players, who have played together for a while now, to also fail. Skinner, Arv., and company have made Hyman, McDavid, RNH, Bouchard, and Ekholm (Arguably the best 1st line and top D pairing in the NHL last season) to now become crap? wow. Jackson must be some kind of super idiot, how the heck did he trick so many people? myself included, I feel like such as idiot.

I thought the slow start might of had to do with the combination of...

-a high amount of turnover (Skinner/Arv./Pod/Emb./Dermott - IN, Ceci/Broberg/Holloway/Vinny/Kane (injury) - OUT)
-Stanley Cup Final Hangover/Short Summer(Offseason)
-small sample size

what a dummy I am. But, at least I'm not alone. Oh well, last year was fun, might as well watch the NFL.
Spot on IMO.
I dont expect this trend to continue (I expect they will win tonight) but I think that you might agree that (after what happened last season) this start and the goal differential is a little disconcerting.

I am not as confident that the quality of the defence, the PK and the reduction in the overall team speed will be as easy to solve.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo the lack of intensity isn't as big a problem as simple execution. We play good enough to win, but with much worse lapses than the other guys, and it's not forced by a physical disadvantage.

I wonder if this zone defense really is hard to truly instill, just like last year. You'd think that the team would have mastered it by now, but we've had huge turnover in the roster. It might even throw off the players who have already learned it.

Clean up the lapses and we'll win games

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Imo the lack of intensity isn't as big a problem as simple execution. We play good enough to win, but with much worse lapses than the other guys, and it's not forced by a physical disadvantage.

I wonder if this zone defense really is hard to truly instill, just like last year. You'd think that the team would have mastered it by now, but we've had huge turnover in the roster. It might even throw off the players who have already learned it.

Clean up the lapses and we'll win games
Username checks out. I like it!

Reactions: Mr Positive

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
At this point I think I am just going to use Oilers Mad Libs to express my frustration at the start of every season:

1729041073083.png

There are some unanswered questions about this roster, but I'm not all that worried about any of that right now. I still think this is a really good team, and expect that at some point they will get their act together. But to be honest, I would almost prefer that the problem were something small and fixable around the roster. My fear is that this is a lot deeper. Simply put, this is exactly like what happened last year. Despite all of the talk about this team maturing over the last year, learning from their experience, having a more stable coach, etc, they are doing the same shit they have done throughout the McDavid era. Slow starts to games/series/seasons have been a recurring theme across multiple seasons and coaches, and is the reason they've never won a division title, it has cost them at least one playoff series, and they just can't seem to shake it. I don't think we can just snap our fingers and fix this- there is something ingrained in the DNA of this roster which causes them to dip their toe into the water every time they are in a new situation.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I guarantee that Alvin the chipmunk GM in Van upgrades his top 4 before us. Their D is also terrible. Deharnais just got 1 game so far lol. Their goalies haven't been terribad

Reactions: ConnorNova0929

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So I know I'm late to the party (I've been really sick), and I should really read through a dozen pages in the waiver thread. But I'm lazy and I hope someone will help.

Can someone please summarize how VGK were able to take one of our waiver eligible players Lavoie, claim him and demote him to their AHL club?

I thought I knew how waivers worked... Basically if a player isn't good enough to make your NHL club, other teams have a chance to put him on their NHL roster. But if they claim him, he can't be sent to the AHL without clearing waivers. In which case, they would almost certainly be claimed and kept by their original team.

So I know there was a lot of back and forth. But if we wanted to put Lavoie in the AHL and couldn't without VGK claiming him back. How could VGK put Lavoie in the AHL without us claiming him back? Because they have higher waiver priority than us?

Perhaps my brain is too simple to understand the intricacies. But if VGK can claim a player off of waivers and put that player in their AHL system, why wouldn't everyone be doing this?

Couldn't SJS claim whoever they want from other NHL clubs and put them in their own AHL system? Basically steal everyone's overripe prospects?

I just don't get it.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad