Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I don't buy the whole "toughness" thing anymore. Being tough to play against doesn't mean big and strong. It means being relentless on pucks, constant forecheck pressure, and everyone no matter their size finishing their checks. Being a dogged nuisance that won't let you catch your breath. This doesn't require punching faces or throwing devastating hip checks. Conor Garland plays a tougher game than most players in the league and he's tiny.

But that's just me.

I feel the same about the silly "we're sooooo old" that everyone is spouting now. Like the team is a bunch of geriatrics out of a nursing home. It's a mean nothing buzzphrase being used in lieu of meaningful talking points and critiques.
COL won the cup with the least amount of hits in the NHL....

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't buy the whole "toughness" thing anymore. Being tough to play against doesn't mean big and strong. It means being relentless on pucks, constant forecheck pressure, and everyone no matter their size finishing their checks. Being a dogged nuisance that won't let you catch your breath. This doesn't require punching faces or throwing devastating hip checks. Conor Garland plays a tougher game than most players in the league and he's tiny.

But that's just me.

I feel the same about the silly "we're sooooo old" that everyone is spouting now. Like the team is a bunch of geriatrics out of a nursing home. It's a mean nothing buzzphrase being used in lieu of meaningful talking points and critiques.
Well when you know that someone has your back it makes a difference for a lot of players. Right now it isn't like that at all.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Well when you know that someone has your back it makes a difference for a lot of players. Right now it isn't like that at all.
I don't disagree. But I don't think you need size or fighting ability for that.

Just heart and desire. Which could be a much larger and more concerning discussion regarding the team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't disagree. But I don't think you need size or fighting ability for that.

Just heart and desire.
I agree, but when you're always getting the business and no one is there to push back you have our current team. Only Nurse and Skinner did that yesterday.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I agree, but when you're always getting the business and no one is there to push back you have our current team. Only Nurse and Skinner did that yesterday.
It's disappointing that the team is choosing to play soft because I don't think they're a soft team.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd also take a flier on JP if he hits waivers in Pitt. He was a bit of spark plug at times here before.

Speed and physicality are the two things that we can actively address by waiver or trade today. Putting pucks in and keeping them out is something that the team is going to have to figure out as the season progresses though.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'd also take a flier on JP if he hits waivers in Pitt. He was a bit of spark plug at times here before.

Speed and physicality are the two things that we can actively address by waiver or trade today. Putting pucks in and keeping them out is something that the team is going to have to figure out as the season progresses though.
If he can't crack Pittsburgh's roster as a winger with their *checks notes* one legitimate top-6 winger, there's almost no chance he'll be an upgrade here.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

But that's just me.

You take out Perry and Ryan and we probably drop to near league average in age. Off the top of my head the “old” players outside of those two are Ekholm, Hyman, RNH, Skinner, Janmark and Henrique.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

85F23469-66E1-4E8C-B107-05576A6C7E86.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad