Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

We Old, you know who "we" are out there.

I saw that Jett Luchanko, who made the Flyers out of camp, is born 2006-08-21.

So there's a player who will play NHL games this year born after the Oilers' '06 Cup run LOLz.

Not many guys that I watched as a kid have children playing in the NHL yet, but that'll be the day when I start feeling old.

The list in NFL continues to grow and is always a reminder that age is catching up to me.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers are the only team that can claim Lavoie and send him directly to the AHL. I cannot think of any reason why they would not do so.
The only hiccup at this point is if a team who finished higher than Vegas also put in a claim yesterday for him. Wouldn’t they get priority to add him to their roster (not the AHL) before it wraps back around to Edmonton?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Makes sense now to why Vegas grabbed him, but of all the shit teams in the NHL none of them looking for potential offensive help?

Maybe the guy really isn't all that great and just hyped because we have nothing for prospects

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

We Old, you know who "we" are out there.

I saw that Jett Luchanko, who made the Flyers out of camp, is born 2006-08-21.

So there's a player who will play NHL games this year born after the Oilers' '06 Cup run LOLz.

Not as old as some guys here, but next March, I will officially be an adult longer than I have been a child. It's such a mindfuk. Luckily, I may have already gone through a midlife crisis, so hopefully another doesn't happen later in life.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Makes sense now to why Vegas grabbed him, but of all the shit teams in the NHL none of them looking for potential offensive help?

Maybe the guy really isn't all that great and just hyped because we have nothing for prospects
I don’t think anyone here has ever called him great. Mostly I’m just seeing people saying he appears to be a better option than a 39 year old Corey Perry and deserves a shot at this point in his career based on his performance, both in the AHL and this preseason.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Puck Pedia providing Waiver clarification.

I am, sincerely, trying to figure out what the Knights were thinking here.

The only thing I can come up with is someone thought he was hurt enough to go on to either LTIR or SOIR so they could keep him for now.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

Lavoie is what he is, a slow developing big body with a good shot that has been slowly rounding out his skating, forechecking and defensive game. He is on other teams radar around the league (see VGK) given his assets, but at present he is still a bubble player. This is a great situation for Edmonton because he is knocking on the door and we get to send him down for 1 more season of polish, where there is good reason to believe he can at least offer us something useful at the 4th line level in the near future, eith some upside under the hood. This might light a fire for him too knowing he is close. Its a good thing (albeit a bit lucky as Schwindt was no guarantee for VGK to win that claim).

Puck Pedia providing Waiver clarification.

I am, sincerely, trying to figure out what the Knights were thinking here.

The only thing I can come up with is someone thought he was hurt enough to go on to either LTIR or SOIR so they could keep him for now.

Isnt it safe to assume that they put multiple claims in on different players and didnt expect to win them all? When they got Schwindt who was slightly higher priority for them, Lavoie had to go back on waivers. Seems straightforward?

Reactions: The Nuge and belair

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Lavoie is what he is, a slow developing big body with a good shot that has been slowly rounding out his skating, forechecking and defensive game. He is on other teams radar around the league (see VGK) given his assets, but at present he is still a bubble player. This is a great situation for Edmonton because he is knocking on the door and we get to send him down for 1 more season of polish, where there is good reason to believe he can at least offer us something useful at the 4th line level in the near future, eith some upside under the hood. This might light a fire for him too knowing he is close. Its a good thing (albeit a bit lucky as Schwindt was no guarantee for VGK to win that claim).
So we know that, but they waived him again. Joe isn't trying to figure out why someone might want him, that's part understood, the "why claim him then immediately waive him" thing is puzzling because it makes absolutely no sense, especially keeping Schwintt over him.

Isnt it safe to assume that they put multiple claims in on different players and didnt expect to win them all? When they got Schwindt who was slightly higher priority for them, Lavoie had to go back on waivers. Seems straightforward?
Seems dumb, the Knights look really dumb here. By that logic.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Think they have room for both, especially with Karlsson on IR

That and I wonder if they are seeing if they can sneak the guy down. Costs nothing to try add free depth

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Think they have room for both, especially with Karlsson on IR

That and I wonder if they are seeing if they can sneak the guy down. Costs nothing to try add free depth
They were just winging it then thought "woah we have a lot of forward here" lol.

I think RL is still a good prospect. Teams not taking him isn't indicative of his potential but more due to the fact that rosters are already set for most groups and it's harder for them to fit him in.
I actually think this might be a boon for him and the team. He might end up getting a look (assuming the Oilers claim him back) and he might make himself stick.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Seems dumb, the Knights look really dumb here. By that logic.

Why would that be dumb? Isnt it actually... the opposite of dumb? Seems pretty smart.

What is the downside here, exactly? They liked both players and wanted to ensure they filled their roster slot with the best possible option. There was no guarantee of winning either claim. If there were 5 good young wingers and you liked them all, why not put in claims for all 5 and just keep the best? If one of them isnt reclaimed, you get free depth for your AHL team. Win win.

This is the pareto optimal way to ensure the best roster for game 1. Any other option has less chance of netting the best possible roster. Doing otherwise seems very... Chiarelli or Tambellini.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think RL is still a good prospect. Teams not taking him isn't indicative of his potential but more due to the fact that rosters are already set for most groups and it's harder for them to fit him in.
I don't know there are some bad rosters out there. For a former high second rounder that has size and can shoot you'd think one of these shit rosters would be all over him.

Why wouldn't SJ/CBJ try him out and see if he's found money, they aren't playing for anything this year. They really are clubs that can get away with throwing him onto the 2nd line and given him a couple months to figure it out or cut bait with him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lavoie is 24 and has had 3 full season in the AHL, the last two of pretty heavy top line/PP deployment and I believe last year he even took on some PK deployment. I’m not sure how much more development there is left for him at that level at his age. At some point you need to take him out of the kiddie pool and throw him in the deep end to see if he swims.

In my opinion the best time to do that would be the beginning of the season where the competition is still ramping up. Get him some looks in the top 6 and see how he handles himself. Doesn’t need to be a long term trial, a few weeks and you’ll have a better idea on him. Doing so can also help you keep 5v5 minutes down for other guys early in the season.

Skinner - MCD - Hyman
Lavoie - Drai - Arvidsson
RNH - Henrique - Podkolzin
Janmark - Ryan - Brown
Perry

This is what I’d like to see. Each of your middle 6 lines has two guys who are bonifide top 6 players along with a younger guy who has some scoring potential. You have some pretty good scoring depth spread over 3 lines and your 4th line features a trio of guys with strong defensive abilities and a pair of guys who have shown good chemistry.
The development gap continues and remains to become a competent two-way player that can utilize size, reach and physical strength to evolve into a reliable bottom six NHL player. He's got an NHL shot with holes in game and mental approach that's been career limiting. The NHL onramp requires Lavoie to become a reliable, consistent every shift player with high motor. Lots of development growth needed still away from the glory zone and in mental approach to match NHL level job requirements.

A window phase team coming off a game 7 Cup run isn't going to wait upon that to happen with no clear roster opening and a team talking about critical need for a better start this season. All signs with their roster decisions and coach's straight forward media avails reinforce the roster construction and deployment will be stabilized to start this season. Just like when he took over a floundering team and first move was to lock in on a consistent roster and notably six d deployment. No way Knoblauch goes full blender early in season.

Now get to NHL twenty game mark if there's stalled team success or roster holes, it's easier to elevate guys like Philp and Lavoie who have been immersed in competitive big minutes and critical situational play.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Me too, but you can just totally see it right? lolz

We won't know until tomorrow, but that's my guess, or there abouts. (Might be like $850K or something)
I think they have to wait until after opening day to sign Dermott so they can lock in their cap situation with wright signing + Savoie call up and Kane to LTIR

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The only hiccup at this point is if a team who finished higher than Vegas also put in a claim yesterday for him. Wouldn’t they get priority to add him to their roster (not the AHL) before it wraps back around to Edmonton?

Someone else could claim him, but he’s kind of a no brainer claim for us, because it’s unlikely anyone who finished above us last year is claiming him, so if he makes it to us, we shouldn’t need to keep him up

Reactions: Smagger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad