Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Stunning that an elite of the elite organization like Vegas would simply waive such a hot young player. Horrific asset management. How could they possibly expose such a quality young player that lit up the pre-season!?

Right? Am I doing this right?
I was very against the Oilers waiving Lavoie so what you're saying is indirectly aimed at me but I gotta admit that this made me chuckle.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Nope. They want to accrue cap space which is why he was waived in the first place. He could be a useful call up if there’s an injury to a winger down the road or a winger underperforming.
I might be mistaken but they can both have Lavoie on the roster and accrue cap.

Currently they have 1M in cap space with 14 fwds (including Kane and Savoie) and 6 defenders. If they sign Dermott to league min and designate Savoie after the first day while recalling Lavoie they would have 14 fwds (technically 13 with Kane on IR) and 7 defenders with about 350k in cap space accruing.

I might be wrong about that but I’m pretty sure that’s right. So they’d still be out of ltir and accruing and it gives them a chance to give Lavoie a shot and if he isn’t showing well after a few weeks send him down and either call up Philp or just run for awhile with one less guy and have even more cap accruing.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I was very against the Oilers waiving Lavoie so what you're saying is indirectly aimed at me but I gotta admit that this made me chuckle.

I have no problem with people wishing Lavoie wasn't waived - I'm even one of them.

It's more the hyperbole, panic and lack of perspective people had (not necessarily you) when we lost him was so over the top I couldn't help but mock it. Waiving and losing a player like this is relatively routine for almost everyone, but only here is it an indication that the apocalypse is on the horizon.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Currently they have 1M in cap space with 14 fwds (including Kane and Savoie) and 6 defenders. If they sign Dermott to league min and designate Savoie after the first day while recalling Lavoie they would have 14 fwds (technically 13 with Kane on IR) and 7 defenders with about 350k in cap space accruing.

I might be wrong about that but I’m pretty sure that’s right. So they’d still be out of ltir and accruing and it gives them a chance to give Lavoie a shot and if he isn’t showing well after a few weeks send him down and either call up Philp or just run for awhile with one less guy and have even more cap accruing.
Same quandary as Philp. Either could be on the NHL roster but reality is playing big minutes and important situational play trumps press box deployment and erratic maybe ice-time. Knoblauch is locked into this roster and needs to get them going early coming off a 107 game season and a schwack of personnel changes. Save the cap and have both work through big minutes in the A (unless Oil do a deckchair move for Lavoie).

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
We just picked up Lavoie off of waivers and signed Dermott to a 2 way deal
tenor.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I actually expect the Flames (or someone else) to f*** with the Oilers so they either don't get him or they can't send him down (though that would be tough)
I was totally going to post this same thing on Twitter. Would totally be a Flames thing to do to pick him up particularly after their guy also got claim. Dress him for the next few games including the Sunday BOA, before then sending him down again if nothing else just to f*** with kid in hopes of damaging one of their "prospects".

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Pretty hilarious we get Lavoie back.

I have a hard time believing this was "part of the plan" but its nice that things break our way for once. I was pretty annoyed initially that we let an asset walk out the door.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Bold prediction.

John Gibson is an Oiler at some point this season.
That's not a bold prediction, it's a completely irrational one.

Why exactly would the Oilers be picking up an expensive, struggling goaltender with 3 years left on his deal? :laugh:

Vegas after waiving Lavoie today

View attachment 913555

I claimed Lavoie as a gag
Sounds like Vegas put in two waiver claims and didn't expect to get both players, and had to make a choice between them as they couldn't afford both.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Same quandary as Philp. Either could be on the NHL roster but reality is playing big minutes and important situational play trumps press box deployment and erratic maybe ice-time. Knoblauch is locked into this roster and needs to get them going early coming off a 107 game season and a schwack of personnel changes.
Lavoie is 24 and has had 3 full season in the AHL, the last two of pretty heavy top line/PP deployment and I believe last year he even took on some PK deployment. I’m not sure how much more development there is left for him at that level at his age. At some point you need to take him out of the kiddie pool and throw him in the deep end to see if he swims.

In my opinion the best time to do that would be the beginning of the season where the competition is still ramping up. Get him some looks in the top 6 and see how he handles himself. Doesn’t need to be a long term trial, a few weeks and you’ll have a better idea on him. Doing so can also help you keep 5v5 minutes down for other guys early in the season.

Skinner - MCD - Hyman
Lavoie - Drai - Arvidsson
RNH - Henrique - Podkolzin
Janmark - Ryan - Brown
Perry

This is what I’d like to see. Each of your middle 6 lines has two guys who are bonifide top 6 players along with a younger guy who has some scoring potential. You have some pretty good scoring depth spread over 3 lines and your 4th line features a trio of guys with strong defensive abilities and a pair of guys who have shown good chemistry.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

They can accrue but as you say it wouldn’t be much. I think listening to the various Bowman interviews that they want to accrue as much as possible to improve the roster at or near the TDL.

I’ve maintained that Lavoie would best be served as an injury call up on a scoring line putting him in a position to succeed. If he plays 10-20 games in a scoring role and does well he might be a valuable trade chip lessening the draft capital we might need to score an upgrade at RD.

But either way it would be nice to see him get a legitimate shot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Assuming Vegas trying to see if we actually want the guy back or if they can use him for depth in the AHL.

The Oilers are the only team that can claim Lavoie and send him directly to the AHL. I cannot think of any reason why they would not do so.
Can we do that if there is someone after us that puts a claim in?

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Assuming Vegas trying to see if we actually want the guy back or if they can use him for depth in the AHL.

Can we do that if there is someone after us that puts a claim in?
Nope. We have to be the ONLY team to put a claim in, even if we win the claim. So someone above us may try and screw with us.

If they do and we win the claim, he would have to go BACK through waivers to get sent down : /

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad