Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Sure, but at the end of the day its kind of meaningless. Our team had 2 spots for grabs and Lavoie didnt make it.

At this point of our curve i dont give a shit about where the players drafted or when.
My point is we would be in much better shape if we could draft and develope rather than trading for players and chasing free agents.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
All these moves are the ones that ensure the Oilers have the most cap flexibility throughout the season. That remains goal on every move management makes. Lavoie, McLeod, Broberg, and Holloway are the immediate casualties.

One can disagree with the concept, but if the team holds a playoff spot all season and uses double retention to snag 1-2 impact players at the deadline then I imagine Bowman/Jackson consider that a win.

Reactions: TB12 and K1984

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Sure. We’ve lost a lot of prospects this summer. Holloway, Broberg and a couple years ago we lost Kesselring. They’re all NHL players now and some pretty good ones. Lavoie had a great camp and seems NHL ready. He had some very good games and he played good with Leon. Losing more young prospects with decent ceilings is never a good thing.

We at least have Savoie and Jarventie. But giving up a prospect for nothing doesn’t seem like good thing. It may come back to bite us because Lavoie has good potential. Is that sufficient for you?

Plus we have only 12 forwards. We could’ve kept up Lavoie as a 13th forward couldn’t we?
First of all back off with the attitude I was genuinely asking since you seemed VERY upset about the waiver claim. I certainly don’t agree that Lavoie was comparable to Holloway simply because Lavoie doesn’t have NHL legs and can’t figure out the proper angles or positioning to help make up for his lack of speed which wouldn’t do him or the team any favours while playing in the bottom 6. I certainly don’t think there was ever any consideration that he could fit into the top six as well. I agree he looked good in pre season and that it sucks we lost him for nothing but on the other hand I would rather the room for Dermott and would rather a guy like Philp get that call up based on his camp performance rather than the guy who has had 5 opportunities to work on the one aspect of his game that would have likely given him the shot. Again I agree it sucks but this is a casualty of war and agree with other posters that say we could have a shot at claiming again down the road.:cheers:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
All these moves are the ones that ensure the Oilers have the most cap flexibility throughout the season. That remains goal on every move management makes. Lavoie, McLeod, Broberg, and Holloway are the immediate casualties.

One can disagree with the concept, but if the team holds a playoff spot all season and uses double retention to snag 1-2 impact players at the deadline then I imagine Bowman/Jackson consider that a win.

It's early, so another competing team could also find LTIR room at some point in the year, but currently I believe we are the only team in that class that has the significant amount of cap space at the deadline that we are looking at.

When it comes to competing for deals, it becomes a lot easier to make them if you don't have to send $ or contracts back (what cost us Tanev last year) and you don't HAVE to find a double retention partner, deal can just be down straight up. This isn't to mention the lower cost associated with doing deals with this flexibility, or as you said, the opportunity to add a crop of players via double retention.

This strategy can be judged in early March. All we know for now is we are way better positioned to load up compared to year's past, and in a much better position compared to peers to load up.

Reactions: Biltmore

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Of course Vegas claimed Lavoie. The Oilers still refuse to prioritize development, there was no reason to expose Lavoie to waivers for the sake of keeping who? Chances are that he doesn't amount to much but this is just a small part of a larger issue with this organization in terms of internal development

North

Jun 25, 2009
Pretty ugly losing Holloway, Bro and Lavoie in one off-season through IMO avoidable mistakes. Hopefully there is a masterplan in works (accruing cap space/flexiblity I guess?) but looks more sloppy then genius plan.
Avoidable mistakes? They made offers during the season and Broberg and Holloway decided to wait.

Then they made offers based on comparable at the end of the season and Broberg and Holloway chose offer sheets that significantly overpay them.

Lavoie is big and has a shot but can’t skate for shit.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I believe if you click "following" up top instead of it being clicked on "For You", it will do it by time for everybody you follow
For me both following and for you are complete random as far as time goes. Will have one tweet from one minute ago, next one is from 10 hours ago, then next one is from 5 minutes ago, etc. And then of course the random refresh and you can never find the tweet you were trying to read.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Avoidable mistakes? They made offers during the season and Broberg and Holloway decided to wait.

Then they made offers based on comparable at the end of the season and Broberg and Holloway chose offer sheets that significantly overpay them.

They seemed pretty keen to sign but were lowballed, especially Holloway? Unless Im missing something or the reporting has been updated, seems like we took our sweet time and then gave both a pretty lukewarm offer.

Essentially walked them into being even more prime candidates for a offer-sheet. Especially for Holloway as I do believe Bro was planning an exit anyways potentially.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Mistakes were still made.

They put themselves against the wall cap wise and in Broberg's case he should've been dealt long before offersheet

Reactions: Faelko

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I guess I’m eating crow..
Though I dunno why Vegas wants Lavoie
Because some teams value young cheap players with upside. The Oilers value Corey Perry and Derek Ryan who are extremely old, barely passable NHL players at this point in their career.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Problems all around.
Worst goaltending duo, worst defense group, slow bottom 6 and J.Skinner hasn't looked good at all.
Mix in No cap space. Draft picks and sad management decisions.

Let's see how far McD can take us this year. Bottom 5 team without him.

Please tell me this is sarcasm, and I'm just not picking up on it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
They seemed pretty keen to sign but were lowballed, especially Holloway? Unless Im missing something or the reporting has been updated, seems like we took our sweet time and then gave both a pretty lukewarm offer.

Essentially walked them into being even more prime candidates for an offer-sheet. Especially for Holloway as I do believe Bro was planning an exit anyways potentially.
Nope. We made offers based on comparables during the offseason. They didn’t like them and chose the offer sheet route.

Based on performance to date this narrative that they were lowballed is a joke.

Mistakes were still made.

They put themselves against the wall cap wise and in Broberg's case he should've been dealt long before offersheet
I’m not going to argue that. He was clearly unhappy and wanted out.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Meh on losing Lavoie, I question his offensive upside, I think he can chip in offense, but not enough to be highly impactful and as I've said before he doesn't touch enough areas of the game outside of offensive production to be a great 4th line option for us.

I think the Cameron Wright signing signalling we are going the LTIR path is far more interesting than losing Lavoie.

I also contend our proper spilled milk player loss is Dylan Holloway, I think he'll earn his contract and contribute in a meaningful way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad