Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claim & Somehow Assign Lavoie to Farm... because Oilers.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Of all the youth we lost the only one that bothers me is Holloway and is the only one that I think if we were more aggressive with contract negotiations we might of been able to do sooner and even matching the offer sheet wouldn't of bothered me.

Broberg I can't complain about, the kid seemingly really didn't want to be here, him + his agent + Armstrong forced his way out with an offer sheet we couldn't realistically match and talk about signing him sooner is stupid, if he didn't want to sign there isn't much we can do about it, people act like you don't need 2 willing parties to get a deal done. I view this similarly to how Marino, Schultz, Fox forced their way out to a team of their choosing, only Broberg got it done through the much less common offer sheet (and on the brightside we got more in return for him than CGY did for Fox).

I don't care about losing Bourgault, I never truly believed in him and his AHL scoring rates particular for an undersized player gave a pretty strong indication he was very unlikely to amount to much, I'm not a big Jarventie fan, but he is a lot closer to being NHL ready.

Lavoie is a depth forward, we are the only fanbase I know of who complains about losing a depth forward while being a serious Stanley Cup contender.

People can bitch about our scouting, but I don't see anything wrong with how Jeff Jackson handled these 4. If anything is to be learned from this I think it is merely to match the ruthlessness that other teams are coming at us with and don't be afraid of unconventional means to improve the team.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Of all the youth we lost the only one that bothers me is Holloway and is the only one that I think if we were more aggressive with contract negotiations we might of been able to do sooner and even matching the offer sheet wouldn't of bothered me.

Broberg I can't complain about, the kid seemingly really didn't want to be here, him + his agent + Armstrong forced his way out with an offer sheet we couldn't realistically match and talk about signing him sooner is stupid, if he didn't want to sign there isn't much we can do about it, people act like you don't need 2 willing parties to get a deal done. I view this similarly to how Marino, Schultz, Fox forced their way out to a team of their choosing, only Broberg got it done through the much less common offer sheet (and on the brightside we got more in return for him than CGY did for Fox).

I don't care about losing Bourgault, I never truly believed in him and his AHL scoring rates particular for an undersized player gave a pretty strong indication he was very unlikely to amount to much, I'm not a big Jarventie fan, but he is a lot closer to being NHL ready.

Lavoie is a depth forward, we are the only fanbase I know of who complains about losing a depth forward while being a serious Stanley Cup contender.

People can bitch about our scouting, but I don't see anything wrong with how Jeff Jackson handled these 4. If anything is to be learned from this I think it is merely to match the ruthlessness that other teams are coming at us with and don't be afraid of unconventional means to improve the team.
The issue Burnt is we are a soft, slower and old team and Lavoie is a 6'4" player that does not play soft, has a great short and decent speed. Our next callup in case of injury arguably if they want Philp to get lots of time in Bako is a 5'10 player in Hamblin.

We drafter Lavoi 38th overall spent lots of time developing him and justvtoss him aside now when he is the closest to playing ever and let's not forget led our team in preseason goals while playing less games than most. The issue is that the Oilers hire development staff while not valuing prospects at all

Reactions: Echodek

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I wonder what we'd have to trade them to get him and trade to a 2nd team to retain 50%? I'd rather have Kostin at $2 million than Perry at $1.4 million.
A rebuilding team that is focused on the future would certainly be interested in trading away an older guy who is sitting in the press box. They know he's not a significant part of their plans.

My guess is that if you offered them one of the picks acquired with the Blue's offer sheets then they would go for it.

Unfortunately I think any cap space that the Oiler's have left right now is probably ticketed for a D-man. The other question-- has Kostin's game declined to the point where he will never be on the ice for the Oilers either?

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don't think it means much, a lot of coaches like getting that first game out of the way for the depth guys so they feel in the mix even if they'll be health-scratched most nights and VAN has 5 RHD that would contest our 2nd best RHD for ice-time.
Looks like Myers went down last night so Vinny probably won’t be scratched again for a bit.

Reactions: McDoused

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I wonder what we'd have to trade them to get him and trade to a 2nd team to retain 50%? I'd rather have Kostin at $2 million than Perry at $1.4 million.
It’s too bad the Sharks have used all their retention slots already, just makes a potential deal that much more difficult. Kostin would be such a great fit in the 4th line rotation, he and Podkolzin would be an absolute menace together on the forecheck/cycle game imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s too bad the Sharks have used all their retention slots already, just makes a potential deal that much more difficult. Kostin would be such a great fit in the 4th line rotation, he and Podkolzin would be an absolute menace together on the forecheck/cycle game imo.
It would be a great fit IMO. There has to be a deal there if he's a HS.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
How many partners is Nurse going through this year before anyone looks at the elephant in the room, guy is going to destroy these younger dmans careers.

Gotta just sit nurse in the press box (his couch at home) for the next number of years.

Or try the Vegas approach, and have him not report to camp or something. Call Brad Mc. and ask him what he would do. Vegas seems to have no problem shedding contacts with no consequence.

Emberson was like... why is this guy over here/what he doing, multiple times in that first game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How many partners is Nurse going through this year before anyone looks at the elephant in the room, guy is going to destroy these younger dmans careers.

Gotta just sit nurse in the press box (his couch at home) for the next number of years.

Or try the Vegas approach, and have him not report to camp or something. Call Brad Mc. and ask him what he would do. Vegas seems to have no problem shedding contacts with no consequence.

Emberson was like... why is this guy over here/what he doing, multiple times in that first game.
How many partners? When Nurse looks bad after getting a good partner, then it will be settled. No offense to Ceci or Emberson, but they aren't a #4

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Wonder if "this year's Ekholm" could be John Carlson.
Has one more year on his contract after this one. I believe he's at an $8m caphit which I assume Washington could retain on (wouldn't even have to be 50%). He's got a 10-team no trade list and generally Americans have Canadian teams as 7 of them, but it's possible he'd be willing to waive for a year and a bit to chase another cup.
Washington just brought in Roy and Chychrun in the off-season too.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Carlson

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

How many partners before Nurse gets a legit top 4 D-man?

The latest plan from this org is a #7 LHD playing on his offside? This after a waiver wire D-man with 30 career games to his name didn’t work there for a game?

North

Jun 25, 2009
How many partners? When Nurse looks bad after getting a good partner, then it will be settled. No offense to Ceci or Emberson, but they aren't a #4
Nurse is paid to be the good one on a pairing.

He should be able to carry the pairing but he’s the guy who sewers the pairing.

His contract makes it virtually impossible to find a partner for him that can handle his very loose version of defense.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Klim Kostin at 1M, that's a yes from me. He would replace Perry. The guy doesn't pk or pp, but he hits like a freight train and will go with anybody. I would put him on a line with Podkolzin and Phil.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

They should have moved Broberg after the playoffs knowing he didn't want to be here but instead they thought they could strong arm him since he had no arbitration rights. Hopefully a lesson learned not to let high first round picks that have shown they can contribute at the NHL level to remain RFA's all summer.

North

Jun 25, 2009
They should have moved Broberg after the playoffs knowing he didn't want to be here but instead they thought they could strong arm him since he had no arbitration rights. Hopefully a lesson learned not to let high first round picks that have shown they can contribute at the NHL level to remain RFA's all summer.
RFAs are left to wait all the time.

St. Louis wanted to overpay him significantly c’est la vie.

The one thing I agree with is they knew he was not happy here so they should have traded him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad