Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
What if Vancouver signs Klingberg for 975K ?
good-great.gif

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Nobody. I’d have him as the Gagner replacement. He can be the 13th forward and locker room presence, who comes in when there’s an injury, or someone’s struggling.

He played a minute and a half a night on the PK his last year here, and has a 20 goal season. That’s pretty much what you’re describing. It’s better than counting on a guy like Lavoie who doesn’t PK, and has never scored a point at the NHL level

Was the PK better when he was on it, or better this year without him on it? Which PKer do you replace him with to improve the PK?

He scored 20 goals glued to Draisaitl's line. Aren't we talking about a depth position? I didn't realize you were suggesting he play 2RW. I think Arvidsson's a better fit.

Reactions: Duke74

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Whose ice time would you take to give to Yamo?
The injured player who isn't in the line-up, also I think he's got enough hockey sense that if he bought in he could probably do D. Ryan''s role (at this stage of his career) better than him except for the faceoffs and possibly the penalty kill.

I don't think Yamo is the right fit for what we lack and I would explore other avenues first, but if he wants to sign for cheap he is IMO better depth option than Caggiula or Lavoie.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The injured player who isn't in the line-up, also I think he's got enough hockey sense that if he bought in he could probably do D. Ryan''s role (at this stage of his career) better than him except for the faceoffs and possibly the penalty kill.

I don't think Yamo is the right fit for what we lack and I would explore other avenues first, but if he wants to sign for cheap he is IMO better depth option than Caggiula or Lavoie.
Thats fair.
Originally I just couldnt see a spot for him but if he is willing to sign at League minimum and take a part time role then what does it hurt?
I also didnt know that he could PK which really makes a difference.
If he couldnt PK then its an absolute no go for me.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
And you know that how? "Facts? Fans don't know shit about what goes on. Stop blowing smoke."
Yeah he traded for Henrique, signed Janmark and Brown but didn't discuss the possibility of resiging or a future with the Oil. Oh right hollamd was in his office pouting while JJ did everything. Sorry I forgot.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He played a minute and a half a night on the PK his last year here, and has a 20 goal season. That’s pretty much what you’re describing. It’s better than counting on a guy like Lavoie who doesn’t PK, and has never scored a point at the NHL level

I get this logic at the TDL, but the first half of the year should go towards seeing if Lavoie (and others) can steal a role, instead of automatically writing them off because they've never done it.

If none of the in-house options can challenge Ryan or Perry for their spots, then you can address the need at the trade deadline, where someone like Yams won't cost you more than a song and a dance.

Personally I have Philp stealing the 4th line spot, but Lavoie failing to take Perry's. Though the fact he's only making league min, likely keeps him on the roster as the 13th forward over Ryan.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Nobody. I’d have him as the Gagner replacement. He can be the 13th forward and locker room presence, who comes in when there’s an injury, or someone’s struggling.

He doesn't have the experience like Gagner. I see Perry taking that over.

Away from Drai Yamo would score 6 goals on the 4th line if we are lucky. He's too small for a grinder and we have better options for the top 9.

Reactions: Duke74

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The problem I had with Yamamoto in the past was that he was often put in situations he shouldn’t be because we didn’t have the depth. We have depth now, so might be better?

But I think at the end of the day, he’s not skilled enough to be in the top 6 and he’s not big enough to play in the bottom 6.

I will always appreciate how hard he plays. I also think the dude took so much abuse away from the play because hockey players are jerks.

I don’t mind him as an AHL call up who can come up when theres an injury. My only fear is once again, hes well liked on this team and hes going to keep getting put in positions before others because hes well liked.

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The problem I had with Yamamoto in the past was that he was often put in situations he shouldn’t be because we didn’t have the depth. We have depth now, so might be better?

But I think at the end of the day, he’s not skilled enough to be in the top 6 and he’s not big enough to play in the bottom 6.

I will always appreciate how hard he plays. I also think the dude took so much abuse away from the play because hockey players are jerks.

I don’t mind him as an AHL call up who can come up when theres an injury. My only fear is once again, hes well liked on this team and hes going to keep getting put in positions before others because hes well liked.

It's this for me. If everyone could look at him with a completely sober lens I would have time for him as AHL depth, but you just know they won't.

There are some moves to be made to save people from themselves, and not signing Yamamoto (or other retreads that people somehow still think have promise) is one of them.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
It's this for me. If everyone could look at him with a completely sober lens I would have time for him as AHL depth, but you just know they won't.

There are some moves to be made to save people from themselves, and not signing Yamamoto (or other retreads that people somehow still think have promise) is one of them.

Taylor Hall is an MVP who increases team speed and skill level so, just sayin…

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Was the PK better when he was on it, or better this year without him on it? Which PKer do you replace him with to improve the PK?

He scored 20 goals glued to Draisaitl's line. Aren't we talking about a depth position? I didn't realize you were suggesting he play 2RW. I think Arvidsson's a better fit.

You’re not replacing anyone with him. He’s filling in when you’ve already lost someone. If Janmark goes down with an injury, would you rather have Yamo draw in, who has PK experience, or Lavoie, who doesn’t even PK in the AHL?

Right. But he still had the skill to score 20 goals. Erne, Hamblin, and Lavoie combined for 3 goals in 62 games for us this year. If they could get that many games due to injury, it’s not unreasonable to think Yamo could see a fair bit of time as a fill in next year. And he’s definitely putting up more than 3 goals. Even as a 4th liner.

Exactly. It’s about improving depth.

I get this logic at the TDL, but the first half of the year should go towards seeing if Lavoie (and others) can steal a role, instead of automatically writing them off because they've never done it.

If none of the in-house options can challenge Ryan or Perry for their spots, then you can address the need at the trade deadline, where someone like Yams won't cost you more than a song and a dance.

Personally I have Philp stealing the 4th line spot, but Lavoie failing to take Perry's. Though the fact he's only making league min, likely keeps him on the roster as the 13th forward over Ryan.

Training camp, sure. But the regular season is not for experimenting. We can’t risk McDrai, Nuge, etc having to play themselves into the ground again because of a bad start.

Yamo’s still going to cost you a mid pick at the deadline, and we already only have 4 draft picks for next year. Why waste an asset? If Lavoie can’t beat out Yamo for a roster spot in camp, he doesn’t deserve it.

He doesn't have the experience like Gagner. I see Perry taking that over.

Away from Drai Yamo would score 6 goals on the 4th line if we are lucky. He's too small for a grinder and we have better options for the top 9.

Yamo’s entering his 8th year in the NHL. He has plenty of experience, and you can never have enough leadership.

Probably like 10. But as I mentioned above, even 6 is still better than the depth options we had last year

Reactions: frag2

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah he traded for Henrique, signed Janmark and Brown but didn't discuss the possibility of resiging or a future with the Oil. Oh right hollamd was in his office pouting while JJ did everything. Sorry I forgot.
We were talking about the work that JJ did during free agency, and how you figured all the work was done by Holland. Don't move the goal posts. More than likely it had been somewhat discussed (certainly not during their initial signing or trade, because that's an asinine stretch and a half), but it was JJ that hammered out the deals that were signed late in the day.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
We were talking about the work that JJ did during free agency, and how you figured all the work was done by Holland. Don't move the goal posts. More than likely it had been somewhat discussed (certainly not during their initial signing or trade, because that's an asinine stretch and a half), but it was JJ that hammered out the deals that were signed late in the day.
If you are steadfast that discussing a possible extension in the initial signing is asinine, I certainly wouldn't go that far, and also would suggest that it would be a distinct possibility.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Its been a week or so since jackson saod new GM would be named and we still havent heard a peep?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad