Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
This makes no sense to me. Ceci is a 4/5 on at least half the NHL teams. So if you wanna trade him for a top 4 in Edmonton you are looking at least double the salary. He isn't getting moved strictly for cap reasons.

It's not complicated. Someone has to go.

We are over the cap and still need to sign Holloway and Broberg. Even if they sign for cheap we still need to dump 2.3M.

We can absolutely get a better defenceman than Ceci at the deadline and use the accrued cap to bring in a more expensive player or have the team selling retain.

Reactions: fresh meat

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Parayko would be great, but he doesn't work if Nurse is still here too, too long for guys who aren't the feature players with all the feature players needing extensions.
He's not really making feature player $ like Nurse is though. With the cap going up he will be underpaid before long (Parayko, not Nurse).

Reactions: McDoused

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's not really making feature player $ like Nurse is though. With the cap going up he will be underpaid before long (Parayko, not Nurse).
I guess Bryan, but again you need to re-up all of Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard, they come first, and you don't get rid of Nuge and Hyman to do it.

If Nurse is still here, Parayko's contract is too long to make sense.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I guess Bryan, but again you need to re-up all of Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard, they come first, and you don't get rid of Nuge and Hyman to do it.

If Nurse is still here, Parayko's contract is too long to make sense.
I don't mind paying good $ for our top 4D. I guess the issue would be if Broberg continues to progress and then we can't afford him.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I don't mind paying good $ for our top 4D. I guess the issue would be if Broberg continues to progress and then we can't afford him.

This is kind of why I hope we get Broberg and Holloway sign for 2 year deals at a slightly higher cap hit. If they breakout this year we won't be able to afford them next year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
They wouldn't trade us Tanev because of the optics, their fanbase is more obsessed with the Oilers than anything the Flames do.

Had nothing to do with Ceci, the Flames all things considered would probably take Ceci right now no questions asked so would a number of other teams, it's the Oilers that aren't offering him.

That's probably part of it. I'm just going on the rumor that I heard which is that calgary didn't want to take on ceci's contract. I wouldn't underestimate just how cheap that calgary ownership group is. I don't think they weaponize their cap at all.

Either way my point is that moving ceci now makes more sense. You can get out of that contract. You dont have to worry about him having a short term injury or see his value decrease. Like I said you want to be flexible and ready if their is a guy on waivers or a player on the block.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The notion that Nurse has had “bad season after bad season” is preposterous. This is the first “bad season” he’s had.

I agree his cap hit is an issue. But the disrespect the player gets is hilarious.
The notion that this is the first bad season for Nurse is preposterous.
Its not about disrespect at all...its about reality.

Just to be clear I am speaking specifically about his defence here as well.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Player A) usually good, makes the occasional bad play

Player B) consistently bad

“I’ll take the guy that is reliably bad every time”

Nurse is approaching being “reliably bad” in almost every playoff game at this point. Those are the only ones that matter to this team in its current state, and you could make a very strong argument that he was our worst d man by some margin this playoff season.

If he were playing like that as a rookie player he’s probably getting scratched at some point.

Reactions: guymez

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not every team you think is going to make playoffs will, and I'd even take a guy playing his off side as a LH shot over Ceci on this team come playoffs.

I'll run through every possible option for you.
Anaheim - Cam Fowler 1 year left, Dumoulin pending UFA. Not sure if Dumoulin is an upgrade, I know he used to be but haven't followed him since his time with the Pens.
Calgary - Andersson 1 year left - RH shot, definitely a massive upgrade on Ceci.
LA - Gavrikov - LH shot, LA could very easily miss this year
Seattle - Larsson RH shot, could very easily miss this year
Vegas - Theodore LH shot, but plays the right side as well. Could easily miss if they get into injury troubles or if their goaltending gamble falls apart.
Columbus - Provorov, LH shot but an upgrade on Ceci
St. Louis - Nick Leddy 1 year remaining, LH shot but and upgrade on Ceci
Winnipeg - Pionk, RH shot. Someone might drop out of the Central with Nashville's retool and possibility of Minnesota bouncing back.
Pittsburgh - Pettersson - LH shot but upgrade on Ceci
Washington - Chychrun LH shot who can play R side. Not sure I'm sold on him but might bounce back this year.
Buffalo - Jokiharju RH shot. Possible upgrade depending how he continues to develop.
Detroit - Jeff Petry - not sure if he's still an upgrade haven't watched him recently.
Montreal - Savard (not my favourite pick but probably still an upgrade), Matheson LH shot 1 year remaining.

There's options out there for sure.

This post needs to be bookmarked for all confused why the team isn’t swinging for the fences for a finishing piece on defense every July.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Bob said on today's show he does not expect Holloway or Broberg to sign right away. Expects them to sign 2 year deals in the low 1's sometime in August. He doesn't see anyone offersheeting and referenced Podkolzin and Hoglander, both signing 2 year deals at 1M and 1.1M per.

Also says that the Oilers have been creative at creating cap space in the past. He doesn't see anything imminent with someone like Ceci but that they need to clear 3-3.5 in cap space.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse is approaching being “reliably bad” in almost every playoff game at this point. Those are the only ones that matter to this team in its current state, and you could make a very strong argument that he was our worst d man by some margin this playoff season.

If he were playing like that as a rookie player he’s probably getting scratched at some point.
This is the crux of the problem, Once the level of the competition is elevated to SC caliber thats when Nurse really flounders. This has been the case for some time now.

I honestly dont know how much more evidence is required for some fans to acknowledge this.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bob said on today's show he does not expect Holloway or Broberg to sign right away. Expects them to sign 2 year deals in the low 1's sometime in August. He doesn't see anyone offersheeting and referenced Podkolzin and Hoglander, both signing 2 year deals at 1M and 1.1M per.

Also says that the Oilers have been creative at creating cap space in the past. He doesn't see anything imminent with someone like Ceci but that they need to clear 3-3.5 in cap space.
Two year deals could be risky. That's going to take them right to an arbitration they probably can't afford.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Ceci? No he's not good he can go. If the team just traded him for nothing the team would be better off to start the year.
It’s quite shocking how similar the career stats are for the two veteran righties Cody Ceci and Adam Larsson. The biggest difference is that Larsson is probably a bit more physical. The flip side of that being Ceci isn’t constantly putting his team on the PK.

Yet by your evaluation one is so bad that it’s the old ‘addition by subtraction’ chestnut, and the other guy you’re willing to spend big to reacquire. :dunno:

To be clear I don’t really like either of these guys playing higher than second pair. Ideally lower as they age. But Ceci has been loyal and that counts for something to me.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It’s quite shocking how similar the career stats are for the two veteran righties Cody Ceci and Adam Larsson. The biggest difference is that Larsson is probably a bit more physical. The flip side of that being Ceci isn’t constantly putting his team on the PK.

Yet by your evaluation one is so bad that it’s the old ‘addition by subtraction’ chestnut, and the other guy you’re willing to spend big to reacquire. :dunno:

To be clear I don’t really like either of these guys playing higher than second pair. Ideally lower as they age. But Ceci has been loyal and that counts for something to me.
Larsson has never brought great offense, he's harder to play against and he has significantly better awareness when he plays.

Moving on from Ceci with only Broberg as his replacement is absolutely addition by subtraction.

Loyalty to Nuge counts, Loyalty to McDrai counts, Loyalty to Ceci is a great way to hold a franchise back.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Two year deals could be risky. That's going to take them right to an arbitration they probably can't afford.
Kind of have to with the bouch and drai contracts. Really need to win it all in the next two years with the current contracts we have for Henrique arvidsson Ekholm and the new drai (hopefully) and bouch contacts.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Not every team you think is going to make playoffs will, and I'd even take a guy playing his off side as a LH shot over Ceci on this team come playoffs.

I'll run through every possible option for you.
Anaheim - Cam Fowler 1 year left, Dumoulin pending UFA. Not sure if Dumoulin is an upgrade, I know he used to be but haven't followed him since his time with the Pens.
Calgary - Andersson 1 year left - RH shot, definitely a massive upgrade on Ceci.
LA - Gavrikov - LH shot, LA could very easily miss this year
Seattle - Larsson RH shot, could very easily miss this year
Vegas - Theodore LH shot, but plays the right side as well. Could easily miss if they get into injury troubles or if their goaltending gamble falls apart.
Columbus - Provorov, LH shot but an upgrade on Ceci
St. Louis - Nick Leddy 1 year remaining, LH shot but and upgrade on Ceci
Winnipeg - Pionk, RH shot. Someone might drop out of the Central with Nashville's retool and possibility of Minnesota bouncing back.
Pittsburgh - Pettersson - LH shot but upgrade on Ceci
Washington - Chychrun LH shot who can play R side. Not sure I'm sold on him but might bounce back this year.
Buffalo - Jokiharju RH shot. Possible upgrade depending how he continues to develop.
Detroit - Jeff Petry - not sure if he's still an upgrade haven't watched him recently.
Montreal - Savard (not my favourite pick but probably still an upgrade), Matheson LH shot 1 year remaining.

There's options out there for sure.

I guess we just disagree on what a viable replacement option looks like. I only see two RHD that you listed that are a clear upgrade on Ceci are
-Andersson. If they aren't trading us Tanev, they aren't trading us Andersson.
-Larsson. A player that requested to specifically play somewhere that's not Edmonton when he was under contract here.

I'd rather just put Broberg there if we're prepared to have a LHD in the 2nd paring RD slot. And I'd prefer to not do that.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Thats absurd. The guy is criminally underrated here. Who else had points in game 7 of the SCF? which other D scored in game 7 of the division finals? He was a mainstay on the best PK in the NHL, he can play all over the ice surface in any situation, but the defining characteristic is that for an RHD he gets paid peanuts. Where are you going to find a RHD you can (and do) play against opposition elites for under 4M? Other than top draft picks still on ELCs.... where can Edmonton get better value than Cody Ceci?

If we trade him for cap space we're going to have to watch Mikael Backlund and Elias Petterson make an absolute pilon out of Josh Brown all year long.

You cut yoyr 2 best defensive RD (Desharnais/Ceci) in one offseason and dont replace them and you're kneecapping this team.

Im all for upgrading the position but if you trade Jordan Eberle for peanuts and roll into the season without a right shot in the top part of the lineup, you're Peter Chiarelli. (aka diarrhea)
Jesus Christ- what team are you watching? Ceci gets murdered 5v5 no matter who he is on the ice against. He rocks an xGAR% of 2 (Bouchard has an 88)Is near the bottom of the league in controlled zone exits and puck retrievals. He is below replacement level D. He is really, really bad.

I tend to agree. I don't care what stats away from Nurse people want to try and pump. The end of the day I watched this guy get hemmed in hundreds of times last year because of his own terrible puck retrievals. He generally struggles on clearing the net front and breaking up the cycle. He's a whole lot of average with no real redeeming quality in terms of above average qualities, and that's a player you'd rather be playing on your bottom pairing. His cap space can be used on a better player at the deadline or in a mid season trade once cap has accumulated. There's plenty of options out there depending on which teams make and don't make playoffs with upcoming UFAs.
His stats away from Nurse still suck. Nurse’s go up. Ceci managed to bring down Kulak’s numbers too. Like he is horribad

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
I have no idea who is available and whose contracts end in the next 2 seasons. In a perfect world Parayko.
Parayko makes 6.5, no?

Some people think Broberg can step in just like that, but I don't.

If we want a cheaper but better version of Ceci on RD, it'll be tough to find

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Kind of have to with the bouch and drai contracts. Really need to win it all in the next two years with the current contracts we have for Henrique arvidsson Ekholm and the new drai (hopefully) and bouch contacts.
Not if we have viable players who can play on entry level contracts. Too bad our drafting record is horrendous, development in the Oiler's system is subpar, and the picks we don't blow at the draft are traded for immediate help.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Parayko makes 6.5, no?

Some people think Broberg can step in just like that, but I don't.

If we want a cheaper but better version of Ceci on RD, it'll be tough to find
Something along those lines. Cheaper will be hard for sure. I'm not expecting it unless we could deal with a team willing to retain salary.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nurse vs Klefbom isn't much of a debate. Nurse at his best was better than Klefbom but Klefbom was younger and had a better brain. AS it stands we will never know what Klefbom could've become if his shoulder was good. The better comparison would be who was the best bang for your buck and it is hands down a healthy Klefbom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad