Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think Larsson will ever play here again because of the very reason he left.
I don't think you can downplay the allure of the potential of a Championship. Larsson is in the part of his career where he is at the point where he either goes for it or he retires without one. He's not in a position where he can wait out a rebuild or wait for a core to age into their mid-20s.

When Adam left, the Oilers were still in a rut. They weren't the deep roster they were today. And his job was primarily the guy that made sure the team didn't singlehandedly lose hockey games when their scoring lines weren't on the ice.

His Dad's passing was tragic, but time frequently heals those wounds. And Adam is still a very popular person in that locker room and in the community.

I think it would make a lot of sense for him to consider a run as an impending UFA and if he fits in the same manner as Ekholm did, it would really be strange for him to overlook the potential success story should he stay through the team's full competitive window.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If last season is any indication of how Larsson is trending, they'll be able to do way better.

Dunn and Larsson were getting massacred against elite comp. Oleksiak and Borgen had some of the toughest minutes in the league last year covering for them because they ended up needing a huge offensive zone push and still couldn't saw off even.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
If last season is any indication of how Larsson is trending, they'll be able to do way better.

Dunn and Larsson were getting massacred against elite comp. Oleksiak and Borgen had some of the toughest minutes in the league last year covering for them because they ended up needing a huge offensive zone push and still couldn't saw off even.
Will they? Not many options available.

I threw out the name Jokiharju earlier but not sure if he’s a top 4 dman

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He was worse-than-Ceci bad last year. Maybe it's a one-off, but if he keeps trending that way, it could be ugly.

Hard to say who is available until it shakes out. With the way the Kraken tried to load up, they might not be sellers. If they are, Borgen would be the UFA to target. He's what people think Larsson is to the Kraken. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a big extension though.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think you can downplay the allure of the potential of a Championship. Larsson is in the part of his career where he is at the point where he either goes for it or he retires without one. He's not in a position where he can wait out a rebuild or wait for a core to age into their mid-20s.

When Adam left, the Oilers were still in a rut. They weren't the deep roster they were today. And his job was primarily the guy that made sure the team didn't singlehandedly lose hockey games when their scoring lines weren't on the ice.

His Dad's passing was tragic, but time frequently heals those wounds. And Adam is still a very popular person in that locker room and in the community.

I think it would make a lot of sense for him to consider a run as an impending UFA and if he fits in the same manner as Ekholm did, it would really be strange for him to overlook the potential success story should he stay through the team's full competitive window.
I guess you can never say never as long as a player is still playing. Didn't Stauffer allude to a familiar face?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Bouchard will be getting 25 min a night next season, so they will need 2 dman putting in 17 min a night. It was reported they tried moving Ceci at the draft so his days are very numbered, I have a feeling Ceci will end up back in Pittsburgh they are familiar with him and are very weak on RD

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't want a Larsson do-over we need a puck mover.

I have one particular affordable, in current salary and likely trade ask, natural RD in mind but I'm not going to reveal the name for the lone fact someone will take it to the trade board and those fans of the club he currently plays for will ask triple his value.

This RD, who I will not reveal under any circumstances, is an all around defenseman that isn't noted for offense but can help cover for Nurse as well as help reduce Bouchard's minutes. You know it's killing me I can't mention his name.

If we do get this RD obviously I'll report back that I knew we would get our man.

• Haha
Reactions: Sanchez and PaPaDee

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Depends how concerned they are with handedness. List of UFAs next season:
1) Burns
2) Orlov
3) Ekblad
4) Provorov
5) Petry
6) Pionk
7) Gavrikov
8) Lindell
9) Theodore
10) Chychrun
11) Marcus Petterrsson
12) McCabe
13) Larsson
14) Savard
15) Dumoulin

A lot of those are going to be on playoff teams so that list will shrink, but there's usually one expected playoff team that falls off and misses the following year. If I had to bet on one it would be Vegas, LA or Winnipeg. So Pionk, Gavrikov, or Theodore could be options. Is Jeff Petry completely washed?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Has anyone watched Philp much? Because honestly I haven't.

Is he a guy that has a legit shot at the 4th line C spot? I know he missed some time sitting out this past season, but is there any comparisons people have for him? Definitely has good size for a bottom-6 role

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Has anyone watched Philp much? Because honestly I haven't.

Is he a guy that has a legit shot at the 4th line C spot? I know he missed some time sitting out this past season, but is there any comparisons people have for him? Definitely has good size for a bottom-6 role
He has a strong finish to his pro season 2 years ago and probably would have pushed for a roster spot, but he kinda retired and didn't play all last year, so he's a behind the 8ball, but exactly a good bottom-6er who's hard to play against.

Reactions: Skolman

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Holloway, Broberg, trade, mystery signing.
Some guy named Leon perhaps, that would encompass the 3 signings. I can't see any more significant signings outside of the re-signings. The trade will probably be a cap move if a trade does happen (Ceci, Kane, Kulak), sure hope it's not Kulak. I'd like to see the Broberg and Holloway signings get done sooner than later just to put to rest any chance of an offer sheet happening.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Broberg hit another level we won’t need to trade Ceci. Just waive Ryan at the start of season we should be good for cap space

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Who the hells playing 4C this year?

Probably Holloway or Janmark. There are plenty of options

There just aren’t really many good options otherwise . It would be costly with the extra term, but a guy like Connor Murphy (50% retention would get him down to 2 years a 2.2) would be a nice get, and Chicago’s already shown to be willing to do it (McCabe to TO)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd wince out of distress but optimistic curiosity if we brought back Schultz for cheap

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It is much better to be cap compliant with Kane on LTIR because then they can accrue cap space. That appears to be the direction JJ is taking. That's if he goes on LTIR.

It doesn't matter when you put Kane on waivers. You get the full 5.125M regardless if it's before or after the season starts. They could put him on now and spend just under 5 million on players (they are around 300k over right now) and still be good when the season begins. That or just put him on and do nothing or just spend some of it and then more when the season starts.

Then the problem you stated comes up. What do you do when he is ready if you signed players to replace his cap hit? That and they would not be able to accrue cap space as they would be over with these same players they brought in to replace his space. That's why Stone waits. Maybe convince Kane to limp along until March, then LTIR him until the playoffs. ;)

It's telling though that the Oilers will possibly have 5mil on LTIR and not really need the player due to their forward depth. A truly healthy Kane would be fun to watch. :)
You don’t accrue LTIR space. You can be in LTIR before or after the season starts. After the season you get the whole 5.125 and before the season you only get the amount of LTIR space you are over by. I.e- they put Kane in LTIR with the oilers 300K over the cap- they only get 300K of LTIR space. After the season starts it is the full amount. That’s why teams always play the waiver wire and place their players in LTIR after the start.

I'd wince out of distress but optimistic curiosity if we brought back Schultz for cheap
Why? He is horrid now. People are sleeping on Stetcher. He has got metrics playing top 4 on a crappy Arizona team

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Not particularly familiar with the Podcast, but it's followed by Stauffer so I'm assuming this is legit.
The bottom line is that Kane needs to be 100% and get his hernia taken care of. I would assume that surgery is required so the sooner he gets it the better. If he's stalling to get it or doesn't want to get it but likely needs it then that could be an issue. Kane needs to be able to play a physical brand of hockey to maximize his effectiveness, if he can't do that due to his health that is a real problem.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Has there been anymore whispers about division realignment? I remember before Utah became official there was chatter about Colorado and Utah moving to the Pacific with us and Calgary going to the Central

At this point I would guess that’s a year or two away if it’s going to happen at all

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Has there been anymore whispers about division realignment? I remember before Utah became official there was chatter about Colorado and Utah moving to the Pacific with us and Calgary going to the Central

At this point I would guess that’s a year or two away if it’s going to happen at all

I don't think the league would separate us and Calgary. That would be absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad