Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I didn’t realise Corporate LTIR’s big signing so far was Ilya Samsonov.

Team LTIR lost 2 top 6 players (Mars & Stephenson) and 4/5 really good bottom 6 depth pieces and their starting goalie from the playoffs this year (Thompson).

They’ve taken a massive hit to their depth and locker room culture losing their Smythe winner and heartbeat in Mars.

This might be the year where treating players as callously as they do catches up with them.

I would not mind bringing in Barrie as a PTO.

Why? We have lots of depth D already.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I haven’t really chimed in on the Kane stuff because I don’t really care for all the rumours swirling out, most of which is baseless.

I do have concerns with Kane but I try and keep it mostly on the hockey side of things. My concerns are mostly due to where he fits on the roster and the accumulation of injuries. I don’t think he fits in the top 6. If hes happy in the bottom 6 then that’s great.

I will say though, he still had 20+ goals last. And also hes still a physical player when hes not scoring. People talk about Nurse, Descharnais etc being physical but those guys really don’t touch Kanes physical game. If we move on from him, we will probably be looking for another player like him. And honestly there aren’t many players like him.

But I mean if he doesn’t want to play in the bottom 6 or the team doesn’t want to deal with his off ice antics (if true), then thats one thing. But we probably aren’t going to know.

So I’ll just try and support him if hes on the team.

I’m not sure we get by the Cucks in the second round without Kane neutralizing some of their goons. I would be very leery of punting Kane. He’s a valuable unicorn to have around, even if he plays most of the year in the bottom six. A healthy Kane is an important playoff weapon.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
That’s interesting. If Savoie was offered, it could mean that Mcleod was offered to the market and competing bids were considered. Did Gazzola say anything related to that?

Also, yes that would be awesome if we now address an upgrade on D. That would be the cherry on top of this already awesome off season.
No nothing else. He’s not really connected. But it doesn’t sound like anyone knew he was available except us lol

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ya the report was they talked about it at the draft so it feels like they probably asked about McLeod, and JJ figured coming off game 7 of the cup finals that they didn’t need to move him unless it was really worth their while, so he set a high price and Adams finally caved
I could see that. Hope we hear more details from JJ soon, and maybe input by Pracey on the trade.

But that's some staunch negotiating by JJ. I like that it took a week to get done, stark contrast from how the Kostin-Yamo drop happened from what I saw on the Drop. It takes TIME to squeeze value.

No nothing else. He’s not really connected. But it doesn’t sound like anyone knew he was available except us lol
That's interesting. I wonder how much Savoie would get if properly shopped. Not that I'd shop him at this point, local kid is gonna be a player for us for a long long time.

I didn’t realise Corporate LTIR’s big signing so far was Ilya Samsonov.
Should be as dumb as their Mantha get last year. I like what I'm seeing out of Vegas, finally some incompetence.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
The talk from some of the media guys when everyone was trying to make sense of the trade was that Savoie wasn't that highly valued by other GMs, might not have been that much interest as you'd might expect.

No idea why, size/injury/behind the scenes personality could all be factors. We won't know until we start getting a real look a the player.
I would Ave been happy with a second for McLeod as we desperately needed the cap space. A developing top ten pick is still a homerun however it turns out.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Last year regular season, under Knoblauch we were really the best team in NHL.

Now we enter in this season with much stronger and deeper forward group and only difference in defence in VD out, JB and TS in. Does it really threat our season success if we go like this to December or TDL.

I am sure it doesn't and we will win many more games than last season.

When opportunity comes and if it comes, we can upgrade 2RD or 4C if needed, don't need to do it now and force things just to please some fans who have no vision and trust.

Ekholm trade is example of things that are never available in off season.
This is a reasonable take, but I feel the need to be more proactive when I look into things deeper when it comes to the upcoming trade deadline D market.

First thing is we are presently under some cap constraints and those constraints will be even greater the following season once the Drai & Bouchard extensions presumably go through (*knock on wood*), so an Ekholm type acquisition of a yet to be determined impact D signed for multiple years who is presumably paid a pretty decent chunk of cash is probably not in the cards for us. There are rare cases where a fairly good D gets retained for multiple years to lessen the cap issues like Jake McCabe, but that's a tough thing to bank on, a lot of teams don't like retaining significant chunks of cap for multiple years.

Second thing the pending UFA D market looks like it will be pretty trash this upcoming deadline, many of the good ones are on teams that are highly likely to make the playoffs and even amongst the ones that might fall short a percentage of them will likely be re-signed before hand. It's almost assuredly going to be a seller's market for D with limited options for buyers.

Then there is the 3rd type of D that might hit the market is the surprise/breakout players who elevated their game to a new level like Sean Walker was this year and those types of players tend to be underpaid cause they don't have the track record, this a potential source of the D we need, but you never know how many will pop up in any given year and even if the team they broke out on has any intention of trading them.

The fact of the presumptive weakness of the market I do think we should at minimum attempt to hedge our bets, acquiring a 4/5 D who might potentially fill the hole with Nurse and even if they fall short, they will likely backslide into being a superior D partner for Broberg over our present in-house options. I also believe the present market is softer for being able to acquire a 4/5D at a reasonable price than the upcoming deadline. Even a move that feels lateral to Ceci could be an improvement cause we have fully established that the Nurse - Ceci pairing does not work in the playoffs and just as a practicality you should try to have players we are comfortable sliding up in the event of injury. Not being able to slide up Ceci and instead turning to J. Brown or Stecher to fill a hole on the 2nd pairing in the playoffs, is not an enviable position to be in.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It sounding more like Kevyn Adams caved to Edmonton’s asking price in the end. They were having discussions since the Draft about McLeod and Savoie
Sounds like Adams valued McLeod a whole lot more than HF Oil ever did :laugh:. Holland would have caved and gave them Holloway then said something stupid like “You can’t get oranges from an apple tree” or some dumb shit.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
It’s shocking to me that Boqvist isn’t signed yet.

He must either have a couple offers on the table or he’s waiting for a team to make cap space
This is adam boqvist we on about correct???

Did i miss something? He have a big injury he recovering from?

Was he not highly touted coming into the league? I mean what went wrong?

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
This is adam boqvist we on anout correct???

Did i miss something? He have a big injury he recovering from?

Was he not highly touted coming into the league? I mean what went wrong?
He went to the jackets and fell off a cliff. But he went to the jackets so it could explain why he fell off a cliff.

• Haha
Reactions: GOilers88

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sounds like Adams valued McLeod a whole lot more than HF Oil ever did :laugh:. Holland would have caved and gave them Holloway then said something stupid like “You can’t get oranges from an apple tree” or some dumb shit.

He must have only watched the finals. McLeods drop in production from the regular season to the playoffs was massive.

Deapite being a 30 point player (McLeod had 4 points in 24GP and was -7 or a 14 point pace.

Considering he was given 13:12 minutes a night in the playoffs his TOI only dropped 1 minute from 14:15 in the regular season.

It's pretty obvious to me that McLeod received a bump in production in the regular season from playing with Draisaitl. His GF% went from 50% without Draisaitl to 74% with Draisaitl. From what I can tell 11 of his 30 points came from the short time playing with Draisaitl.

I wonder how many of his points came from being on the wing vs playing at center.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
He went to the jackets and fell off a cliff. But he went to the jackets so it could explain why he fell off a cliff.
I never really found his play to be that bad with CBJ to warrant him sitting in free agency for this long, unless he is waiting for a team to clear cap space for him... weird all around.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Oilers won't be going for any defensive help. Obviously adam Larson is the answer if the oilers should do anything. Priority is getting broberg signed and having him play in the top 4.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad