Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I mean if this what you believe you saw, fair enough.

The playoffs and my review of it was quite different.

On faceoffs he was decent and he was big part of the epic PK, but he was not good 5 on 5 and he was not protecting leads beyond the faceoff on his strong side.

And of course Knoblauch praised him, Knoblauch is a good and thoughtful coach
Ryan was awful. It's why he was in and out of the lineup.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The longer Holloway remains unsigned there is a chance he becomes the trade chip used to upgrade on Ceci.

We have enough top 9 wingers without him.

Eg. Ceci+Holloway for Carlo

Leaves us with just Broberg to sign while being just 1M over cap.
No way, he's one of very few of our forwards that is willing and able to play a physical game. Add in that we lost McLeod and then losing Holloway would really hamper our team speed.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The longer Holloway remains unsigned there is a chance he becomes the trade chip used to upgrade on Ceci.

We have enough top 9 wingers without him.

Eg. Ceci+Holloway for Carlo

Leaves us with just Broberg to sign while being just 1M over cap.
I can't see it happening. From what JJ has done the last week shows that he want's cheap young players to be NHL ready when Draisaitl and Mcdavid's extensions kick in. I think we get the Ceci replacement at the deadline.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
No way Henrique will be our 4C. He is too good.
We are overflowing with riches in the C position. Feels good.
iu

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I wrote in the trade thread but will just do a quick repeat here:

Love the opportunity for Hamblin to take the 4C spot.

Thought he did a great job while on the big team. For me, a 4C should be tenacious, physical, annoying, have a great “give a shit” meter, all of which Hamblin showed (imho)

Can he play up and down the lineup? No. Is he going to crack 20 points? No. Will he be responsible defensively and be a pest? Yes.

McLeod is not a 4C. He’s many more things, but I take Hamblin over him as a 4C every day.

Hope he gets a long, long, look at the beginning of the year!

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Thought he did a great job while on the big team. For me, a 4C should be tenacious, physical, annoying, have a great “give a shit” meter, all of which Hamblin showed (imho)

Can he play up and down the lineup? No. Is he going to crack 20 points? No. Will he be responsible defensively and be a pest? Yes.

McLeod is not a 4C. He’s many more things, but I take Hamblin over him as a 4C every day.

Agreed. A very successful season for Hamblin as a 4th C would be maybe 5 - 10 goals, a somewhat evenly sawed off +/- / FO%, and playing most of 82 games in the regular season. Stem the tide young man, and glory awaits.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think lots of people are forgetting about Hamblin. He was really good when he was up, scored a few goals when the 4th line was a black hole, then got sent down for no reason other than numbers.

He’s not a star, but he can skate, is smart, and I think can probably score between 5-10 goals. At worst he’s a placeholder that can more than hold up until the deadline IMO.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I can't see it happening. From what JJ has done the last week shows that he want's cheap young players to be NHL ready when Draisaitl and Mcdavid's extensions kick in. I think we get the Ceci replacement at the deadline.
This is what I’m thinking.

With Ceci, I’d love to see them swap him for a more suitable partner for Nurse but Jackson mentioned the other day they want to find a spot for Broby and get him more minutes so to me it seems like they want to get a good extended look at Broberg before making any decisions on the blue line.

Reactions: 3IR and bellagiobob

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I think lots of people are forgetting about Hamblin. He was really good when he was up, scored a few goals when the 4th line was a black hole, then got sent down for no reason other than numbers.

He’s not a star, but he can skate, is smart, and I think can probably score between 5-10 goals. At worst he’s a placeholder that can more than hold up until the deadline IMO.

i think placeholder is exactly righy unfortunately. just a guy to take on 30 or so games of wear and tear (platooning with Ryan et al) before the playoff caliber option emerges.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

He played 31 games last year and 10 games the year before. The team clearly likes him well enough as a tweener. He is 25 years old and was an assistant captain in Bakersfield. He is also crazy cheap at 775K, which helps a lot on the cap hit (125K cheaper than Ryan, and for a team squeezing every penny, that matters at least somewhat). The org likes him, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me at all for him to play a good majority of the season as the 4th C.

All that being said, I imagine that 4th line C will again be an area that they attempt to upgrade at the TDL.

Reactions: GOilers88

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Would waiving Ceci and Kulak, I'm not talking about a paper transaction hoping they clear, give the Oilers enough cap space to sign Holloway and Broberg, while having enough free cap room to ice a 23 man roster? Possibly signing another low cost D.

Theoretically if Kane doesn't go on LTIR.

Not saying Ceci and Kulak aren't tradable, just trying to flesh out all the options. Not saying waiving NHL defensemen is a particularly good plan. It's a bad plan. It's emergency plan Z.

I could see both Ceci and Kulak getting claimed freeing up 6M. One getting claimed would be either 3.25M or 2.75M in savings and whatever else you save by demoting players to the AHL.

Ceci only has one year remaining and is a RD while Kulak has two years and is a LD. Neither getting claimed would be minimal savings but you'd still have two servicible defensmen in the fold. Probably a bit perturbed but still in the system.

We found one dance partner with Buffalo but you never know what comes next... Don't want to wait until the last minute and having to flush future assets to move a viable player.

Get all of the permutations out of the way and clearly understood even if you don't find them appealing.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He won't play for Bakersfield but the contract is 1.15 so they can send him down as a paper transaction to get cap compliant to start the season, without a cap penalty. The full cap hit comes off. Then I'm guessing the plan is to put Kane on LTIR to start the season, but if they are cap compliant with Kane on day 1, they get the benefit of being able to accrue cap.
They can put Kane on LTIR before the season starts if needed to be cap compliant.

I mentioned this many years ago and was called stupid and dumb (literally) by some of the capologist posters here. They said I should stick to posting nonsense. Kind of like that accountant guy lately. lol They said it couldn't be done. That LTIR could only be used after the season started. That they were smart and I was not (literally). Turned out they were wrong. Never did get an acknowledgement of that. ;)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
They can put Kane on LTIR before the season starts if needed to be cap compliant.

I mentioned this many years ago and was called stupid and dumb (literally) by some of the capologist posters here. They said I should stick to posting nonsense. Kind of like that accountant guy lately. lol They said it couldn't be done. That LTIR could only be used after the season started. That they were smart and I was not (literally). Turned out they were wrong. Never did get an acknowledgement of that. ;)
Everyone should compete like Kelly McCrimmon. It's good for the game. The boys from TSN and sportsnet were saying that. Does this only apply to American teams and Toronto?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Everyone should compete like Kelly McCrimmon. It's good for the game. The boys from TSN and sportsnet were saying that. Does this only apply to American teams and Toronto?
Treating players like playing cards only works in desirable markets for players. Hot, southern places with low taxes will always be able to get away with that kind of stuff.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Treating players like playing cards only works in desirable markets for players. Hot, southern places with low taxes will always be able to get away with that kind of stuff.
I was talking about using the LTIR rules to a teams advantage. Using them as the latest loophole.

While you got my attention, I don't want hockey players on my team that don't want to play in hockey markets.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Really liked this analysis. I hear Lane Peterson (sp) is the same way

To maximize cap- it’s better to put him on LTIR after the season starts then you get the full 5.125M on LTIR. Doing it before you have the problem of getting right up to the LTIR max then you have issue re-activating Kane because you won’t have the cap

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’m still pretty inexperienced anytime cap issues arise, but assuming the Kane locker room rumours aren’t true and he’s just going on LTIR for the start of the year, my understanding is if Broberg and Holloway sign their qualifying offers and Savoie makes the team, we would be able to ice a full healthy roster with ~3.5m of LTIR overage allowance to play with.

If he returns during the season, all we should have to do is trade Ceci and not take any salary back in order to be compliant again.

I wonder if we’re “done” now, and we give Ceci some time to rebound on the bottom pair before Kane comes back in hopes of not having to add much in a trade to get rid of his salary. I could see Kane going on LTIR as a big reason Ceci wasn’t traded at the draft despite the rumours. It also allows us to be a bit more patient with Broberg if he has a difficult start to next season having to play the right side as I’ve seen suggested by the media.

The more I think about it, the more I’m blown away at the work that’s been done this summer. I’ve never been as excited for a season to start.

On another note, is there another site at all similar to cap friendly anyone uses for when it goes down this summer?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

If he’s up here- I’m cheering hard for him. How can you not like this guy. I want him to raise the cup for his mama bear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad