Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Team should just move Kulak. Right side is too scary looking as is to move Ceci without bringing in a replacement IMO.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Broberg - Ceci
Brown

Will get us to the deadline. Would open up enough space to sign both Broberg and Holloway to a small raise and still have some wiggle room to spare without running a barebones roster.
Agreed

I like Kulak, but he's a 15 - 16 minute a night guy who doesn't get used much on the PK while still making nearly 3 mill. He's too expensive for the limited role he's playing, especially with the team looking to slot Broberg in full time.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Wait are there still people complaining that JJ hasn’t done enough? I mean I know he didn’t do much to the back end yet but we were one of the top defensive teams in the league after KK started coaching
a few players also had the worst defensive metrics in the playoffs. 1 player in particular who does every year

Macblender

May 5, 2014
There is literally nothing out there that surefire upgrades out D right now except maybe through trade. May as well search for the big piece at the deadline, hopefully another Ekholm style deal as the RHD on the market are pretty crap next free agency period.

As it is we have the best offence in the league and are rolling back a D core (ex desharnais but I think Broberg is much better) that after the terirble start was one of the top teams in the league at preventing goals over 70 ish games.

We are fine - look at XB, 2026 1st + whatever prospects required for a lofty upgrade retained this deadline.

Edit: especially as mentioned we can run a compliant 20 man roster with Kane not even on the LTIR and our forwards still look unreal with Holloway as 4C between Kane and Perry LOL.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm probably gonna get criticism for this, but our biggest trade piece is Broberg. If he is playing well in the season and Oilers are looking to upgrade the top4, he will be the one who is asked to be the main piece in a trade.

What would it take for people to be fine with him getting moved?
What?? You just said he's a top 4 Dman. Why on earth would you trade him when defence is our biggest need? He's already upgraded our top 4

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here are the stats involving those three over the last three years.

Regular Season:

Playoffs:

One thing that these don't tell you is circumstance when the combinations are on the ice. For much of the time Nurse was probably taking the more challenging match-ups. That said Kulak seems to come out well in this.
Kulak seems to be really good value.
Ceci is basically underwhelming but thankfully he isnt expensive.

All things considered Nurse should have the capability of consistently making his D partner better.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
a few players also had the worst defensive metrics in the playoffs. 1 player in particular who does every year
And that one player has a full NMC and is so close with our franchise player that he is is co best man at his wedding. We are not I repeat not trading Darnell Nurse anytime soon. Now Ceci I could see going for cap reasons and Stetcher can easily replace his minutes for a quarter of the cost. It Ceci or Kulak that is being moved on the backend. We will do a move for a top 4 d man at the deadline provided we can make space. I get it Nurse is not the greatest D man. But one nobody is trading for him (at full cap) and two Connor and Leon would lose it if he was traded. JJ seems like a guy that can the read room

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
What?? You just said he's a top 4 Dman. Why on earth would you trade him when defence is our biggest need? He's already upgraded our top 4
It's just how other teams will see the Oilers in terms of assets. If they want a a veteran top 4 dman, they will ask for Broberg. I would be in favor of keeping him, I just wanted to know what other posters would feel a fair return would be.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers cap situation got a little clearer, still some work to do to get Holloway and Broberg Signed. Will probably need to go with a 20 or 21 man roster and squeeze some pennies.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Only concern with Savoie is that he's been a bandaid since getting drafted. Hopefully he gets the help he needs to get past beign injury prone now that he's joined a competent front office

Macblender

May 5, 2014
The Oilers cap situation got a little clearer, still some work to do to get Holloway and Broberg Signed. Will probably need to go with a 20 or 21 man roster and squeeze some pennies.

Works with 20 and we would be $600k below the cap. Not sure how cap accrual works for the deadline but that with Ceci out I am sure we could add something decent

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Have to say, this Savoie add makes me pretty excited about the potential boosts it could have for a number of our other prospects come training camp. It's been a while since we've had a high pedigree pure skill forward come into rookie camp.

I hope he's nowhere near the NHL roster this season. Get down to Bakersfield and just cook. Add the strength, round out the two-way game and build some chemistry with the guys we hopefully get to call up at fifteenth l different points throughout the year.

Reactions: McDrai

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Works with 20 and we would be $600k below the cap. Not sure how cap accrual works for the deadline but that with Ceci out I am sure we could add something decent
Thats with Ryan and Stecher, Hollway and Broberg will probably cost more then that vets so could be tight.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe I am biased but I think trading Broberg would be a massive mistake

Then I’d be biased too. Trading Broberg would be a massive risk at the very least. He looked great in the playoffs and was really starting to piece things together in the AHL beforehand. Cost controlled top 4D is what this team needs, trading him would have to be for a slam dunk 2nd pair RD IMO

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
You have to look at the future while also looking at the present when looking at what it appears is the plan. Broberg will just be entering his prime as he replaces Ekholm. Holloway will hopefully be able to replace Kane minus the fighting. Savoie will even possibly able to replace Skinner after Skinner moves on to the new higher contract with his new team the following offseason.

IMHO and if all goes fairly well, these are the reasons why I seriously doubt any of the 3 young guys I just named get moved for any reason. We have 3 major new contracts coming up in the next few years and need to be able to afford them. We finally may have a future laid out while also living in the present.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Agreed

I like Kulak, but he's a 15 - 16 minute a night guy who doesn't get used much on the PK while still making nearly 3 mill. He's too expensive for the limited role he's playing, especially with the team looking to slot Broberg in full time.
I disagree with ~$3M being too expensive for the 3rd d-pairing, I know a lot of people have these old beliefs about the 3rd pairing is the place you scrimp on money and just ice the best ~$1M player you can get, but I'll say the mindset around the league has very much been changing.

The 3rd d-pairing is every bit as impactful as the 3rd forward line and is generally one of the easiest and most cost effective means of gaining an edge on another team or not giving an edge when your 3rd pairing gets caught out like say on an icing and the top line for the opposition comes out. BOS and VGK kind of identified this and it's become far more normal that teams will spend a little extra on the 3rd D pair for quality.

Though for us obviously if Broberg can handle those same minutes and make $1M that's only to our benefit and we can use those cap savings elsewhere.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
You have to look at the future while also looking at the present when looking at what it appears is the plan. Broberg will just be entering his prime as he replaces Ekholm. Holloway will hopefully be able to replace Kane minus the fighting. Savoie will even possibly able to replace Skinner after Skinner moves on to the new higher contract with his new team the following offseason.

IMHO and if all goes fairly well, these are the reasons why I seriously doubt any of the 3 young guys I just named get moved for any reason. We have 3 major new contracts coming up in the next few years and need to be able to afford them. We finally may have a future laid out while also living in the present.
If, if they open the vault and max / max McDavid and Draisaitl, they can't keep affording middle 6 / middle pairing players at hefty contracts. They will absolutely need prospects pushing up to challenge for spots. This is a really deft move, to get a guy who 2 years ago was a top 10 draft pick and has, aside from injuries, kept it up (even getting a cup of coffee in the A and producing 5 pts. in 6 GP). He's right on the cusp of breaking in I think. Good skater, slick hands stickhandling, good passer, good shot, and allegedly a good motor.

I don't know how much Kalle Larsson's recruitment philosophy of high compete / motor, high hockey IQ and speed play into this (he was in Dubuque, where Savoie played a year before transitioning over to the WHL juniors) but it sure seems like it's getting traction. Parkatti too, on the analytics side.. I wonder how much these guys behind the scenes are playing into decisions. Whatever the hell is happening this is not the bush league front office we have had to endure for years.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Just a thought - maybe the 1st half of a D upgrade?

Next step, Savoie + Ceci for a legitimate top 4 D?

Savoie arguably has significantly more universal trade value as a cost controlled top offensive prospect than McLeod, a niche known quantity with limited growth potential.

Ceci + McLeod = meh, no thanks
Ceci + Savoie (maybe plus a pick) = you had my curiosity but now you have my attention

/just a thought…
//what’s a team with a surplus of top 4 D and a prospect pool that could use more pop?

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just a thought - maybe the 1st half of a D upgrade?

Next step, Savoie + Ceci for a legitimate top 4 D?

Savoie arguably has significantly more universal trade value as a cost controlled top offensive prospect than McLeod, a niche known quantity with limited growth potential.

Ceci + McLeod = meh, no thanks
Ceci + Savoie (maybe plus a pick) = you had my curiosity but now you have my attention

/just a thought…
//what’s a team with a surplus of top 4 D and a prospect pool that could use more pop?

You don’t trade a cost controlled Savoie after just getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad