Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Another thing to point out is that fans of other Canadian teams (other than Montreal) haven't seen their team make the SCF since 2011 or 2004, so they likely wouldn't know or remember what it actually takes for a team to be a cup contender

Reactions: Oilhawks

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Why do you think he scored most of his goals early in the season? Don't you think it could be because of a well reported, extremely debilitating injury that occurred halfway through the year? Probably. Even if he was healthy, scoring all of your goals in bunches doesn't make them any less valuable than a player that scores the same amount of goals evenly spread throughout the season. He contributed 24 goals this season, when he scored them doesn't matter.

Any player's stats will look bad if you cherry pick certain games in which they did well and remove them from their body of work. Pretending like good games against non-playoff teams don't count is ridiculous. Did you know Kane scored a hat trick to single handedly win us a game against Seattle? Did you know Seattle was a top 10 team in goals against last season? Oh but that game was in November so it doesn't count, right?
Okay. Let’s use your logic than. So an unhealthy Kane scored 24 goals. Using your trending- how much does he score when healthy 40?

Quality of competition does matter. I’m sorry if that bothers you- but it does matter. Also- were you aware that power forwards who play Kane’s game tend to be injured more and produce less as they enter their 30s? His injury wasnt “debilitating” or he wouldn’t be playing. Ironically, cherry picking stats is being done by you by saying he scored 24 goals. He scored them in a small sample of games. Most of the season he did nothing.

I admire your naivety. You somehow think Kane is going to be less injured and produce like a 25 year old as he ages. His whole body of work shows a player who is poor defensively and gets caved when not playing with the two best players on the team.

His 5.125M is much better spent on a top 4 d man. I’ll bet you right now Kane never scores more than 24 goals in a season again. I hope I’m wrong- history tells us otherwise

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
yes, but i think they realized what they did pandering to a demographic that wouldnt never buy anything anyway and reverted back to normal times.....hence the oilers flasher getting a spread

That was Playboy. SI is the rag that used AI to write articles after it fired it's entire human staff. in fact, that Drai article has a whiff of AI about it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Okay. Let’s use your logic than. So an unhealthy Kane scored 24 goals. Using your trending- how much does he score when healthy 40?

Quality of competition does matter. I’m sorry if that bothers you- but it does matter. Also- were you aware that power forwards who play Kane’s game tend to be injured more and produce less as they enter their 30s? His injury wasnt “debilitating” or he wouldn’t be playing. Ironically, cherry picking stats is being done by you by saying he scored 24 goals. He scored them in a small sample of games. Most of the season he did nothing.

I admire your naivety. You somehow think Kane is going to be less injured and produce like a 25 year old as he ages. His whole body of work shows a player who is poor defensively and gets caved when not playing with the two best players on the team.

His 5.125M is much better spent on a top 4 d man. I’ll bet you right now Kane never scores more than 24 goals in a season again. I hope I’m wrong- history tells us otherwise
While I want to agree with you that Kane will play bottom 6 from here on. Two things that leads me to believe he can still score 24 is one, he comes back fully healed and 2nd, RNH might be better off playing bottom 6 with Henrique and RNH is more of a special team guy now. And even if Kane scores 20, that's still good

Let's pretend a line up with a healthy Kane in the playoffs

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Drai-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Perry/Holloway
Janmark-McLeod-Brown

Last edited:
Reactions: foshizzle

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
While I want to agree with you that Kane will play bottom 6 from here on. Two things that leads me to believe he can still score 24 is one, he comes back fully healed and 2nd, RNH might be better off playing bottom 6 with Henrique and RNH is more of a special team guy now. And even if Kane scores 20, that's still good

Let's pretend a line up with a healthy Kane in the playoffs

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Drai-Arvidsson
RNH-Henrique-Perry/Holloway
Janmark-McLeod-Brown
The problem is TOI.
How many minutes is Kane going to get in a bottom 6 role?
A $5.125M player in a bottom 6 role is a bit of an issue as well.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I actually still argue that at the time, it was an overpay and had a pretty heavy amount of risk associated to it on the team side. It ended up being a great deal for the team in the end, but that is somewhat revisionist history IMO.
Everyone was screaming that it was an overpay at the time. Turned out to be one of the best contracts we had..

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

For someone throwing out barbs you should probably think about taking a look in the mirror.

It really isn't that complicated. Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs. Those teams aren't as good as the playoff teams. That means that good players are much more likely to pad their stats against bad teams.

In the games Kane scored in, just shy of half were playoff teams which is roughly in accordance with the ratio of playoff teams to non playoff teams. That is not a bad ratio, or a bad thing. This is common sense. Good players score more against bad teams.

This is the type of nonsense you see from Nuck and Flame fans trying to explain away why Oiler players score a lot of points.

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The problem is TOI.
How many minutes is Kane going to get in a bottom 6 role?
A $5.125M player in a bottom 6 role is a bit of an issue as well.
That's going to become common on the Oilers. Once Holloway improves, he's going to bump down RNH as well. So all RNH, Kane, Henrique playing in the bottom 6, that's actually would be a good problem to have.

McDrai also need to spread out the minutes. I get their injuries is one of the reason we didn't win the cup but I also believe they were burnt out the last 2 games from playing too many minutes.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
For someone throwing out barbs you should probably think about taking a look in the mirror.

It really isn't that complicated. Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs. Those teams aren't as good as the playoff teams. That means that good players are much more likely to pad their stats against bad teams.

In the games Kane scored in, just shy of half were playoff teams which is roughly in accordance with the ratio of playoff teams to non playoff teams. That is not a bad ratio, or a bad thing. This is common sense. Good players score more against bad teams.
I can only imagine that oobga is still on here lamenting Kane being out of shape (costing us the cup), and how he's a horrible person, and terrible in the room, and no body likes him or his pouty ways. So glad i put him on ignore...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's going to become common on the Oilers. Once Holloway improves, he's going to bump down RNH as well. So all RNH, Kane, Henrique playing in the bottom 6, that's actually would be a good problem to have.
I dont think that Holloway is bumping any of the top 6 forwards this season.
He needs more time.

The minutes will be pretty spread out this year with all the depth we have now.
Proabaly more spread out than say 2 seassons ago (so i agree with you there) but Drai and McDavid are still going to get close to 20 minutes on seperate lines. That means their linemates will be up in the high teens as well.
There just isnt a lot of time left over for lines 3 and 4. Kane wont be happy in a bottom 6 role eiher...that has played out already.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I dont think that Holloway is bumping any of the top 6 forwards this season.
He needs more time.

Proabaly more spread out than say 2 seassons ago (so i agree with you there) but Drai and McDavid are still going to get close to 20 minutes on seperate lines. That means their linemates will be up in the high teens as well.
There just isnt a lot of time left over for lines 3 and 4. Kane wont be happy in a bottom 6 role eiher...that has played out already.
I can't remember which game it was but McDavid played 17 mins and that's one of the best games he has looked.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So I just did some math, with Kane on the roster, Broberg and Holloway at 1M each, Lavoie at 850k, Stetcher and Kemp up and Perry, Ryan and Josh Brown sent down. That is a 22 man roster including Kane and we have about 220k in cap space. But with Kane on IR we are really running with 12 F and 7D so with Kane only on IR would we be able to bring up another F without their cap hit counting? So we would have an extra F but still have that 220K accruing?
No. Players on IR count against the cp but provide no additional cap relief. To gain cap relief the player must be on LTIR.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If you're looking for a laugh go check out the "Oilers have the best forward group" thread on the mains.

It's basically a consortium of Flame, Nuck and Leaf fans telling themselves it's all ok.

I felt like I just lost brain cells reading the garbage from the posts.
There's even a sens fan by himself proclaiming that their players are better than the Oilers.
Reminded myself again why I avoided the mains. 99% of Oiler threads there are always involving the same suspects or dumb ass leafs, nucks, and flames fans. Bunch of morons.

Reactions: Duke74

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No. Players on IR count against the cp but provide no additional cap relief. To gain cap relief the player must be on LTIR.
What about emergency call ups? If we were running with 12F and somebody got injured would we be allowed an emergency call up or because we are carrying an extra defender we wouldn’t be allowed the emergency call up?

It wouldn’t be ideal to run with only 12F while Kane is out but it is an option and the team does have experience running 11-7 and with a extra defender like Stetcher I’m sure you could use him at fwd if absolutely necessary

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

This is the type of nonsense you see from Nuck and Flame fans trying to explain away why Oiler players score a lot of points.

Lol, this is nothing like Canuck fans or Flames fans say, well, because I’m an Oiler fan talking about my team. Having analytical breakdown of your players can help you decipher whether or not a current player is delivering value. You thinking that this is explaining away how oilers players score a lot of points is mind blowing to me. I’m not going to bother to produce how badly he drops off when not playing with 97/29, or how the ice is tilted the wrong way when he is on, or any other evidence because all you see is the ideological Kane- which is him ripping through LA in Calgary in his first year here. He has never done that before and that is never happening again.

I think that 5M he gets paid has more value elsewhere in the roster (defence). You think it have more value in Kane. We won’t agree so I’ll just end it here

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lol, this is nothing like Canuck fans or Flames fans say, well, because I’m an Oiler fan talking about my team. Having analytical breakdown of your players can help you decipher whether or not a current player is delivering value. You thinking that this is explaining away how oilers players score a lot of points is mind blowing to me. I’m not going to bother to produce how badly he drops off when not playing with 97/29, or how the ice is tilted the wrong way when he is on, or any other evidence because all you see is the ideological Kane- which is him ripping through LA in Calgary in his first year here. He has never done that before and that is never happening again.

I think that 5M he gets paid has more value elsewhere in the roster (defence). You think it have more value in Kane. We won’t agree so I’ll just end it here

Never said anything about any of that. Was just talking about the laughable assertion that scoring against non-playoff teams is some sort of black mark, but whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad