Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I've been seeing it on HF too. Drai took a big discount, so he deserves a massive raise.

Most of HF doesn't know anything about hockey either.

When he signed that deal everyone laughed about it being an overpay and even people here were pissed (Barkov, a comparable at the time signed a ~$6M AAV deal about a month before). It only became a discount after he outperformed it starting in 18-19.

Dumb people are framing it like he did us a solid, he actually signed a great deal for himself at the time, just shot way above everyone's expectations (and maybe even his own) afterwards.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

When he signed that deal everyone laughed about it being an overpay and even people here were pissed (Barkov, a comparable at the time signed a ~$6M AAV deal about a month before). It only became a discount after he outperformed it starting in 18-19.

Dumb people are framing it like he did us a solid, he actually signed a great deal for himself at the time, just shot way above everyone's expectations (and maybe even his own) afterwards.

An understated point. A quick venture onto the mains confirms that quite readily.

Basically everything they cling to is emotionally-driven fanboy nonsense

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The perfect situation for the Oilers is finding a way to trade Nurse for Parayko

I wonder if the Oilers retained a bit, would that get the Blues to bite. I also wonder if Nurse would waive for STL.
3 way deal. I don't see Nurse waiving to St. Louis. He wants a shot at the cup

Edmonton - Parayko
NYR - Nurse
St. Louis - Trouba

Add picks and prospects or retain where it's needed

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think their path forward really comes down to Kane’s injury and what recovery times look like. If Kane is willing and they can put off any surgeries until just before the season to coordinate a return with the end of the regular season, that’s probably the best option.

But I think it would be smart to look into trading Ceci for the space to cover what they’re over and the Broberg/Holloway signings and if possible keep Kane off ltir to begin the season to try and accrue cap space. This way you are accruing cap for the deadline and if a sudden need for cap arises you can put Kane on ltir.

@Fourier would likely know what their best option is. But would that be a possibility? If they trade Ceci and can be under the cap without putting Kane on ltir could they accrue cap space throughout the year? And also if for whatever reason they find themselves with a need for cap space can they retroactively or just moving forward put Kane on ltir at that point and if they did so would that wipe out any cap space they had accrued to that point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, It comes down to if the LTIR puts you over the cap or not. So if we trade Ceci, and we are under the cap with or without Kane on LTIR, we can accrue available cap space.
If they were to trade Ceci and end up under the cap even with Kane's salary included they would be able to accrue cap space. If Kane was on IR and they needed to use LTIR they could simply do so retroactively and the accrued space would still be there.

Wrt to the bolded. Technically if they were under the cap they would not have Kane on LTIR but rather just regular IR. But yes, you are correct.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I've been seeing it on HF too. Drai took a big discount, so he deserves a massive raise.
Yeah he didn’t take a discount at the time. He took a fair value deal. He absolutely outplayed his contract and then some and does indeed deserve a raise as he has been severely under paid for 6 of the 7 years of his 8 year deal though.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I actually still argue that at the time, it was an overpay and had a pretty heavy amount of risk associated to it on the team side. It ended up being a great deal for the team in the end, but that is somewhat revisionist history IMO.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If they were to trade Ceci and end up under the cap even with Kane's salary included they would be able to accrue cap space. If Kane was on IR and they needed to use LTIR they could simply do so retroactively and the accrued space would still be there.

Wrt to the bolded. Technically if they were under the cap they would not have Kane on LTIR but rather just regular IR. But yes, you are correct.
So I just did some math, with Kane on the roster, Broberg and Holloway at 1M each, Lavoie at 850k, Stetcher and Kemp up and Perry, Ryan and Josh Brown sent down. That is a 22 man roster including Kane and we have about 220k in cap space. But with Kane on IR we are really running with 12 F and 7D so with Kane only on IR would we be able to bring up another F without their cap hit counting? So we would have an extra F but still have that 220K accruing?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
3 way deal. I don't see Nurse waiving to St. Louis. He wants a shot at the cup

Edmonton - Parayko
NYR - Nurse
St. Louis - Trouba

Add picks and prospects or retain where it's needed
Good Fantasy trade. But all three players have variations of no-trade. Two of the three teams would like to dump salary/create cap space not take on more (Rangers); re-distribute cap from defense to forward (St. Louis); and no indication the Oilers are prioritizing Nurse to move.

Fully agree though that Parayko would be a dream top 4 RD finishing piece for the Oilers Cup window team. Previously on record with willingness to consider waiving for his hometown.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Lol everyone outside of Edmonton said he was overpaid when he signed his contract. Now he took a discount?

Hell, most people IN Edmonton said he was overpaid, and honestly they were right. Leon obviously exploded after he signed his current contract but he's a straight up pioneer for the approach Montreal took the other day with Slafkovsky.

He does deserve a massive raise though that part is hard to argue.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Kane is a rare player that actually has stories about being called out of shape lol

In any case, I'm gonna take time to try to find these quotes from Stauffer and Gregor last week where people said that those guys said he was out of shape in camp this year, using their recorded shows. I never heard it myself.
You actually are making yourself look like an idiot. If you enjoy dishonouring yourself, please continue. It's quite fun seeing you embarass yourself

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I can't do Gregor. I've tried for years, can't do it. Doubles down on bad takes all the time.
I shook my head listening to his show so many times I had to stop since I was getting motion sickness. Ceci being better than Tanev was the last straw

Oilers are over the cap now while the Flames currently have the most cap space in the NHL. Tale of two cities.
I just love how they tried so hard to get Arvidsson and Skinner too and failed. I wonder if they tried for Henrique. Hell, Jon Cooper from TB actually called him to convince him to go there and Henrique literally stuck the finger at him over the phone to come to "DEADMONTON". I love what's happening with us now

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Isn't SI the magazine that's known for putting big girls in bikini's then complain that no one is buying the magazine anymore?
yes, but i think they realized what they did pandering to a demographic that wouldnt never buy anything anyway and reverted back to normal times.....hence the oilers flasher getting a spread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad