Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Oilers and Leon Draisaitl Destined for Split

:monkey:

Sports Illustrated should stick to the swimsuit magazines (aren't those gone?) instead of clickbait nonsense :laugh: How does this poorly reasoned shit get published? "Where will the salary cap space come from?" Have you heard of a thing called trades, son?

Also lol at "That's roughly $40 million invested in six players who have a combined zero championships." Oh, how many teams have half the cap tied up in 6 (or less) players that haven't won the Cup? Hmm...I imagine it's quite a few more than just the Oilers

So, the options are: 1) take less than market value 2) get paid with the Oilers 3) apparently somehow get paid a lot more elsewhere

And the conclusion is: options 1 and 2 are not happening, it will be 3 no matter what because random dude that doesn't even have a headshot on Sports Illustrated said so

"Make sure you bookmark Breakaway OnSI for the latest news, exclusive interviews, recruiting coverage, and more!"
giphy.gif
He also seems to think that the Oilers' cap overage this year and the need to sign RFA Broberg, who might get $1.2 M, is the reason they'll have to low ball Draisaitl's contract for next year lol.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
This sounds a bit hopeful for the writer.

Oilers and Leon Draisaitl Destined for Split

:monkey:

Sports Illustrated should stick to the swimsuit magazines (aren't those gone?) instead of clickbait nonsense :laugh: How does this poorly reasoned shit get published? "Where will the salary cap space come from?" Have you heard of a thing called trades, son?

Also lol at "That's roughly $40 million invested in six players who have a combined zero championships." Oh, how many teams have half the cap tied up in 6 (or less) players that haven't won the Cup? Hmm...I imagine it's quite a few more than just the Oilers

So, the options are: 1) take less than market value 2) get paid with the Oilers 3) apparently somehow get paid a lot more elsewhere

And the conclusion is: options 1 and 2 are not happening, it will be 3 no matter what because random dude that doesn't even have a headshot on Sports Illustrated said so

"Make sure you bookmark Breakaway OnSI for the latest news, exclusive interviews, recruiting coverage, and more!"
giphy.gif
I saw that and wondered if I should post as well. Basically the Trolling Stone of sports.

Reactions: frag2 and Oilhawks

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you just not see a trend? I believe you’re an accountant right? In your day job- are you not required to see patterns and trends? I’ll break it down for you. The trend is that it shows lack of consistency and a pattern of disappearing when games got more intense. His scoring pattern shows him essentially going on a November heater more so than a consistent goal scorer. He is also having more trouble competing against teams that present greater defensive structure and stronger goaltending.

I’ll use your simplistic take and expand it. McLeod’s playoff performances don’t matter because “regular season counts”, and Nurse is a 9.25M because he scored 29 goals (does that season not count), Ceci is an excellent defenseman because he played 12 good games (same amount of games as in November).

Why do you think he scored most of his goals early in the season? Don't you think it could be because of a well reported, extremely debilitating injury that occurred halfway through the year? Probably. Even if he was healthy, scoring all of your goals in bunches doesn't make them any less valuable than a player that scores the same amount of goals evenly spread throughout the season. He contributed 24 goals this season, when he scored them doesn't matter.

Any player's stats will look bad if you cherry pick certain games in which they did well and remove them from their body of work. Pretending like good games against non-playoff teams don't count is ridiculous. Did you know Kane scored a hat trick to single handedly win us a game against Seattle? Did you know Seattle was a top 10 team in goals against last season? Oh but that game was in November so it doesn't count, right?

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If you're looking for a laugh go check out the "Oilers have the best forward group" thread on the mains.

It's basically a consortium of Flame, Nuck and Leaf fans telling themselves it's all ok.
I love the "we'll have to wait and see how it looks" comments about a team that was 2 goals away from the cup (without Kane), and swapped Foegele and Carrick for Arvidsson and Skinner :laugh:

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I love the "we'll have to wait and see how it looks" comments about a team that was 2 goals away from the cup (without Kane), and swapped Foegele and Carrick for Arvidsson and Skinner :laugh:

"Canucks forward group is deeper."

I don't want to jinx it, but if everything goes right from a health perspective it really will be enjoyable watching these clown fanbases squirm next season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't want to jinx it, but if everything goes right from a health perspective it really will be enjoyable watching these clown fanbases squirm next season.
Totally, look at Joshua, if anything he'll shoot 30% next year. Petterson will have a his 150 pts season and that Swedish kid will score 40 along with Debrusk's 50. totally lol.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think their path forward really comes down to Kane’s injury and what recovery times look like. If Kane is willing and they can put off any surgeries until just before the season to coordinate a return with the end of the regular season, that’s probably the best option.

But I think it would be smart to look into trading Ceci for the space to cover what they’re over and the Broberg/Holloway signings and if possible keep Kane off ltir to begin the season to try and accrue cap space. This way you are accruing cap for the deadline and if a sudden need for cap arises you can put Kane on ltir.

@Fourier would likely know what their best option is. But would that be a possibility? If they trade Ceci and can be under the cap without putting Kane on ltir could they accrue cap space throughout the year? And also if for whatever reason they find themselves with a need for cap space can they retroactively or just moving forward put Kane on ltir at that point and if they did so would that wipe out any cap space they had accrued to that point?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think their path forward really comes down to Kane’s injury and what recovery times look like. If Kane is willing and they can put off any surgeries until just before the season to coordinate a return with the end of the regular season, that’s probably the best option.

But I think it would be smart to look into trading Ceci for the space to cover what they’re over and the Broberg/Holloway signings and if possible keep Kane off ltir to begin the season to try and accrue cap space. This way you are accruing cap for the deadline and if a sudden need for cap arises you can put Kane on ltir.

@Fourier would likely know what their best option is. But would that be a possibility? If they trade Ceci and can be under the cap without putting Kane on ltir could they accrue cap space throughout the year? And also if for whatever reason they find themselves with a need for cap space can they retroactively or just moving forward put Kane on ltir at that point and if they did so would that wipe out any cap space they had accrued to that point?
Correct me if I'm wrong, It comes down to if the LTIR puts you over the cap or not. So if we trade Ceci, and we are under the cap with or without Kane on LTIR, we can accrue available cap space.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So looking at other team's depth, and it won't be easy.

I wonder if you could convince Minny to move Spurgeon home to Edmonton?

I know he's coming off injury last year and he's not young, but he's quite good and would improve the top-6. If he played with Nurse, that might be a nice pair.

Or make a 3 way deal with the Sharks and Caps.

To Wsh: 2026 6th (EDM) and Brandon Coe

To SJ: Ceci & 2026 4th

To Edm: TVR & Dowd

Then flip Kulak to the Habs for VAN's 2025 3rd

SO you look like

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisailt - Arvidsson
Nuge - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Dowd - Perry
Ryan

Kane on LTIR

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - TVR
Nurse - Stetcher
Brown

Cap space and everyone signed. Caps also get under the cap this way

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So looking at other team's depth, and it won't be easy.

I wonder if you could convince Minny to move Spurgeon home to Edmonton?

I know he's coming off injury last year and he's not young, but he's quite good and would improve the top-6. If he played with Nurse, that might be a nice pair.

What’s wrong with our depth?

The time to do that deal isn’t now anyways. You put Kane on LTIR and then at the deadline, if Broberg hasn’t proven to be a top 4 guy, you move Ceci out for a retained top 4 dman. Teams usually don’t want to retain now, but at the deadline it’s not a big deal, and despite having to be dollars in, dollars out, Ceci for a double retained dman means you can literally add any dman in the league (up to 13 million AAV)

Jackson has already said he will sit down with both Leon and Connor together to get them to talk about what kind of salary structure they want in the future, I think the idea is getting them to agree with each other to take a little less in order to win. He's not just talking to Leon.

The truth of the matter is your life style isn't going to be any different at $105 million vs $100 million especially when you're already extremely wealthy as both of them are.

Ya no player has ever made over 150 million in their career, and Leon will both be more like 170-210 before their next deal is up. I also don’t think it’s crazy to think that they take less. And it’s probably safe to assume that the two of them already more or less know what they’re making on their next contracts.

Oilers are over the cap now while the Flames currently have the most cap space in the NHL. Tale of two cities.

They kind of have to. If they end up a bubble team again, it REALLY hurts their pick they have to give Montreal. You don’t want to give them the 11th overall pick and draft 30th when you could give them the 30th and draft 3rd. They have to either contend or be a bottom feeder, and we all know they aren’t contending next year

Reactions: Canovin

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What’s wrong with our depth?

The time to do that deal isn’t now anyways. You put Kane on LTIR and then at the deadline, if Broberg hasn’t proven to be a top 4 guy, you move Ceci out for a retained top 4 dman. Teams usually don’t want to retain now, but at the deadline it’s not a big deal, and despite having to be dollars in, dollars out, Ceci for a double retained dman means you can literally add any dman in the league (up to 13 million AAV)

Ya no player has ever made over 150 million in their career, and Leon will both be more like 170-210 before their next deal is up. I also don’t think it’s crazy to think that they take less. And it’s probably safe to assume that the two of them already more or less know what they’re making on their next contracts.

They kind of have to. If they end up a bubble team again, it REALLY hurts their pick they have to give Montreal. You don’t want to give them the 11th overall pick and draft 30th when you could give them the 30th and draft 3rd. They have to either contend or be a bottom feeder, and we all know they aren’t contending next year

The first contract is honestly the important one, by that stage you're "rich" but you're not really "rich rich" as in you can go buy a $20 million mansion and buy your parents a $5 million house and have $100k vacations every other week in the summer.

Once you get that first contract though, it's kind of like well you've moved into a income class where at some point there's not even a lot left to buy.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Correct me if I'm wrong, It comes down to if the LTIR puts you over the cap or not. So if we trade Ceci, and we are under the cap with or without Kane on LTIR, we can accrue available cap space.
I think that’s right but the scenario I’m kind of envisioning is we trade Ceci and with Kane on the roster and everyone signed we end up a few hundred thousand under the cap. So we start the year like that to accrue cap but let’s say there’s a situation between the start of the year and the trade deadline where we have the opportunity to add a player who has a sizeable cap hit. At that point would it be best to make paper transactions to get as close to the upper limit as possible to maximize the ltir space then put Kane on ltir (knowing they can push his return to the playoffs) and then acquire the player.

So essentially we accrue cap space from the start of the year until say January/Feb then we make paper transactions get as close to the cap as possible, put Kane on ltir, acquire the player we want now using his ltir space. Then at the deadline would we still have the ability to spend that cap space that we accrued earlier in the season?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

The Canucks weren’t even really the “deeper” forward group last year which is what I find so funny. They just had a slightly better 3rd line. But we are definitely the deeper team now. Our potential 3rd line next year of Kane - Henrique - Brown is better than a ton of second lines around the league

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The first contract is honestly the important one, by that stage you're "rich" but you're not really "rich rich" as in you can go buy a $20 million mansion and buy your parents a $5 million house and have $100k vacations every other week in the summer.

Once you get that first contract though, it's kind of like well you've moved into a income class where at some point there's not even a lot left to buy.

For sure. 70-100 million is comfortably set for life. The second 100 million contract is just accumulating generational wealth. Especially for Leon who can benefit from the low tax rate (like 15-25%) for foreigners

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who might be available at the deadline if we leave upgrading our defense until then?
Not a lot of UFA's as I believe most the good RHD are on playoff teams.

Feel like a hockey trade would have to happen to upgrade on Ceci. Even before free agency I felt this was the case.

Lots of new GM's the past year or so, maybe some are looking at moving on from someone from previous regime.

As flawed as a guy like Ceci can be at times at his dollars there really isn't a lot of guys that are better.

But you never know what shakes out.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad