Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Does he though? Holland is pretty patient.

Does Holland go and hire an AHL coach at that point in time or does he go with the standard “veteran” coach to right the ship?

I am not even sure why I got sucked into this debate as I do not hate Holland at all.

My opinion is Holland was decent but he wasn’t operating like some of the best GM’s in the game and I am glad he wasn’t re-signed.

Its hard to say with Woodcroft.

Holland struggled canning Tippett. I feel he brought in Woodcroft because it’s easier to do mid to late season. Then the team turned it around. I don’t think Holland really wanted to hire Woodcroft in the first place but then got backed into a corner with the success. I think he would of rather hired another veteran coach.

That being said, once Woodcroft was the coach, I don’t think Holland would of fired Woodcroft when he did. I don’t think Jackson had faith that Woodcroft would pull this team out of its nosedive in time and stepped in. And I can’t blame him because the longer it went on, it was obvious that Woodcroft didn’t have answers.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its hard to say with Woodcroft.

Holland struggled canning Tippett. I feel he brought in Woodcroft because it’s easier to do mid to late season. Then the team turned it around. I don’t think Holland really wanted to hire Woodcroft in the first place but then got backed into a corner with the success. I think he would of rather hired another veteran coach.

That being said, once Woodcroft was the coach, I don’t think Holland would of fired Woodcroft when he did. I don’t think Jackson had faith that Woodcroft would pull this team out of its nosedive in time and stepped in. And I can’t blame him because the longer it went on, it was obvious that Woodcroft didn’t have answers.

If Holland's insane unwillingness to fire Tippett is any indication, I don't see a way in which he would be inclined to rid himself of Woodcroft that quickly all on his own.

That month in 21/22 where we basically could not win a game with Tippett was probably the most furious I've ever been as a fan of the Oilers. Holland just would not fire him. If memory serves it took an in person meeting with Katz for him to finally make the obvious decision.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Holy shit are Flames goofs ever obsessed with our team. The have more posts about free agency in that stupid E=NG thread than they do about their own fukn team.

WHAT A BUNCH OF SAD SACK LOSERS!!!
They can go cry themselves a river.

cope-harder.gif

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
If Holland's insane unwillingness to fire Tippett is any indication, I don't see a way in which he would be inclined to rid himself of Woodcroft that quickly all on his own.

That month in 21/22 where we basically could not win a game with Tippett was probably the most furious I've ever been as a fan of the Oilers. Holland just would not fire him. If memory serves it took an in person meeting with Katz for him to finally make the obvious decision.
I agree I don’t see KH firing Woody until it was far far too late to salvage the season

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
lol 5 blocks is a lot. You should see big US cities like Los Angeles, even the most touristy areas like the Graumann's Chinese Theater area with the Hollywood stars hand prints is a gong show literally two streets down.
Pretty sure all those mascots you take pics with at graumanns with are crackheads too.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Holland patience and loyalty is kind of a blessing and a curse. Its one of the reasons why he has built such great relationships within the hockey circle. But I think it has also prevented from fixing issues in a timely manner or not fixing issues at all.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Can someone summarize all of the off-ice rumors/drama surrounding Kane here at Edmonton? Keep watching all of these people talking about whether or not he has a role on the team, and they keep referencing off-ice issues but won't go in-depth.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can someone summarize all of the off-ice rumors/drama surrounding Kane here at Edmonton? Keep watching all of these people talking about whether or not he has a role on the team, and they keep referencing off-ice issues but won't go in-depth.
The only thing I can think of is that one time he said something along the lines of "it's nice getting more ice time" which turned into him apparently refusing to play in the bottom six and quitting on the team if he did.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You walk a few blocks from crypto.com arena and you might be in the worst area in the USA.

Totally, been there a few times, I still call it Staples (Center).

Say what you will about Canada but it generally is much safer and cleaner even in the worst areas. Unless you're in like that are Vancouver where everyone is injecting drugs right out in the open or whatever, that scared my then girlfriend worse than anything in the US, lol.

Reactions: Duke74

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The only thing I can think of is that one time he said something along the lines of "it's nice getting more ice time" which turned into him apparently refusing to play in the bottom six and quitting on the team if he did.

I never heard the quotes from the source but there have been posts on here in the last few days claiming people like Stauffer said on air that he came into camp this year out of shape.

For whatever that's worth.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

I was thinking about this a bit more. Obviously he didn't mean it as a slight to the Oilers (that would be insanity and a level of self-delusion only an ego like Zadorov would have), but he probably looked at his options and was offered around the same by decidedly worse rebuilding teams.

While I'm sure most here would only dream of a career earnings of his $8.8M (estimated), it's not an entirely massive amount as far as NHL players go nowadays. So while he was probably given the option to take a buriable 1 or 2 year contract with the Oilers (I doubt they offered him nothing, but maybe?), or to more than double his career earnings in 3 years with what should be a playoff team, I don't blame him for taking it. He isn't an Henrique who has banked tens of millions and is nearing the end of a career so takes the cut to win. The emotion Warren displayed at the end of season was palpable. He realized that last year was his best chance at a Cup, perhaps for the rest of his career. And while he was wildly inconsistent here, he had his moments and produced decently overall, including an excellent game or two in the Finals

Anyways, I would wish him luck, but like Vinny, he went to a division rival, so nope.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
No off ice issues with the Oilers other than the crazy ex occasionally dropping in with a dumb social media post.
Got into a couple of bench disagreements with Perry and Draisaitl, which is totally uncharacteristic behavior in a group of alpha males.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Even if the Kane rumours were true. The team got a taste of the finals. I believe this is the year it's 100% buy in from everyone. Everyone will play wherever the teams needs them in order to win.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I can sum it up nicely for you. Other teams fans still believe that he abused his wife despite being found innocent and being granted custody of his kid in California of all places. They can’t let his gambling addiction go even though by all accounts he is no longer gambling. They dislike the Oilers and Kane therefore spread unsubstantiated rumors about him being a bad team mate and demanding more ice time. None of this has been confirmed nor has anyone on the Oilers alluded to this being the case. There was an incident early in the year where Leon yelled at Kane on the bench and the media ran with it. In summary there is zero evidence to back up any off ice issues with Kane

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
No off ice issues with the Oilers other than the crazy ex occasionally dropping in with a dumb social media post.
Got into a couple of bench disagreements with Perry and Draisaitl, which is totally uncharacteristic behavior in a group of alpha males.

And this post is based on what?

Evander Kane is the man who got his clothes thrown into the shower in his last days in Winnipeg by his Jets teammates. He went to Buffalo, put up good numbers and got dealt for NOTHING just to get him away from those players off-ice. He was as publicly trashed by teammates in San Jose as any NHL player EVER is. It's not just about his problem gambling or messy divorce. Anna Kane is not his only accuser and the rest of his behavior completely falls in line with that of an abusive douchebag, whether or not she is also a loon.

Elliotte Friedmann says the Oilers relationship with him is currently "nasty". He's getting into fights with players on camera, during the game, who are blatantly accusing him of being lazy. Which, you know, he obviously is anytime he doesn't get to play with top-six players. He's the dude who complains about his icetime to the media during a 16 game win streak while he is completely worthless shift by shift. Oilers can't win a game and he's scoring though? Big smiles.

There's a justified quote that sums up Evander Kane. You meet an asshole that day? You met an asshole. You meet assholes all the time? You are the asshole.

He's so obviously a problem of a human being and the Oilers are going to be the fourth organization to flush him. Be it trade or LTIR. The latter suits him fine, I'm sure, since he doesn't want to show up for work most of the time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad