Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Lavoie is not signed yet, I wonder whats up with that? The kid seems to be a good skater, has a rifle, I wonder what his shortcomings are.

It would be nice to send Ceci back to Ottawa for Artem Zub if we are getting rid of Ceci. We obviously would have to sweeten the pot and somehow make the money work.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Only the finest Paulaner and Flammkuchen for Herr Draisaitl from now on!
As a German I have to intervene...Paulaner is not a good German beer...it's maybe famous but as all the big breweries it's not really good.

As someone already stated the small breweries are great especially in Franconia (northern part of Bavaria).

I couldn't leave this uncommented :)

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Lavoie is not signed yet, I wonder whats up with that? The kid seems to be a good skater, has a rifle, I wonder what his shortcomings are.

It would be nice to send Ceci back to Ottawa for Artem Zub if we are getting rid of Ceci. We obviously would have to sweeten the pot and somehow make the money work.
Lol you want Zub? That'll cost Ceci and at least 2 first rounders minimum sorry if the value isn't fair. Like the Sens are in drastic need of RHD and giving up their best isn't feasible.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

He'll be 24 years old and saw that there's zero chance he will get NHL games in after the free agency day we just had. Signing a Perry would have been a huge statement for him.

Its the age players like him need to get their chance if they're ever going to have an NHL career. That's not going to happen with the Oilers.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Ken had five years and was paid 25 million.

Jackson's performance yesterday is what we all wanted from Holland every damn year.

I don't feel bad for Ken whatsoever.
Let's not act like Holland didn't contribute to what Jackson was able to do yesterday.

Holland despite his flaws assembled a good team, with a good culture, and greatly improved our reputation as a team that was enjoyable to play for.

Even looking at who we signed all of Janmark, Brown, and Henrique are guys he brought in who stated they bonded with the guys in the room and enjoyed the city and the deep run; they aren't saying that if they weren't already here and gone through that experience.

Then Arvidsson said he talked to his friends and was greatly influenced by Ekholm (who Holland traded for) and Adam Larsson.

As for J. Skinner dude was just bought out having a bad season stats wise by his standards and is critiqued for never being in the playoffs. If you are his agent what team are you going to recommend he sign with? A team that just made it to the Finals so he's likely to pop his no playoffs cherry and 2 of the best centers in the entire league, an absolute no brainer.

While I appreciate the other guys we signed, I don't think anyone aside from this bunch was hotly contested.

In saying that also props to Jackson I don't think Holland would of been capable of doing so much in a single day and such reasonable contracts on top of that, also not sure Holland would have the balls to go over the cap to land Henrique and fix that issue later.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Now would be a great time for our scouts to pull a rabbit out of their hat. It doesn't escape me that the last 3 Cup winners found a huge piece or pieces of their d-core for next to nothing.

With Florida they got 2 top pairing quality D for next to nothing- Forsling was a waiver claim and Montour cost them a 3rd rd pick and even Mikkola was a notch better than Kulak while being signed for less.

VGK's entire roster was built and elevated in short order as a byproduct of high quality pro scouting, seeing more value in the players they were receiving than the teams that gave them up.

COL struck big landing Devon Toews for 2 2nd round picks.

----------------------------------

Maybe JJ and our scouts already landed our D-man that is going to do miraculous things for dirt cheap and I'm completely oblivious, but at this juncture I'm pessimistic despite liking both Stecher and Brown more than most scouts or hockey analysts.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Katz paid 200 million CAD for the Oilers and as of 2023 is worth 2.6 billion cad lol EIG were very foolish
Let’s not pretend that happened organically. The EIG could never have pulled the new arena off, the fortune of getting Mcdavid was something else though.

As for the Holland and ownership thing, I’m sure th owner is wondering why he’s writing large monthly cheques to members of coaching staffs Holland is responsible for hiring but don’t work for the team. Or players he signed.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was listening to some pod today with Doug Maclean. He said Ken Holland is leaving Edmonton because of ownership. Made it sound like ownership meddling/ owner did him dirty somehow.

Thought it was interesting because I’ve never heard that before.

This isn’t really that surprising. Katz hired JJ to be above Holland. I think it was smart because the Oilers needed a plan in place when Holland left since he was the PoHo as well.

JJ been running things for awhile. Firing Woodcroft and hiring Knoblauch was a JJ decision. Firing Wright and hiring Pracey was a JJ decision. Parkati and the new player development guy was JJ. JJ basically been stepping on Holland toes for a year.

You can understand why Holland is upset. I think Holland has done more good than bad but he has his warts. When he makes a mistake he’s not really proactive to try and fix it or find solutions to problems.

Holland would of never been able to pull off the first day of FA that Jackson just pulled off. If Holland was in charge he might of got Janmark, Brown, Arvidsson done but he would of missed Henrique and Skinner. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
As a German I have to intervene...Paulaner is not a good German beer...it's maybe famous but as all the big breweries it's not really good.

As someone already stated the small breweries are great especially in Franconia (northern part of Bavaria).

I couldn't leave this uncommented :)

Not sure how you feel about it, but I’ve always liked Erdinger better, personally. I could be wrong but I’ve never really seen any microbrewed German beers here, unfortunately. This may have changed in recent years but nowadays I usually only buy Alberta microbrewed since the laws were relaxed and the ensuing explosion of options. There’s a ‘German-Albertan’ microbrewery, Fahr, which is quite good too

BertMcDrai

Nov 26, 2018
Not sure how you feel about it, but I’ve always liked Erdinger better, personally. I could be wrong but I’ve never really seen any microbrewed German beers here, unfortunately. This may have changed in recent years but nowadays I usually only buy Alberta microbrewed since the laws were relaxed and the ensuing explosion of options. There’s a ‘German-Albertan’ microbrewery, Fahr, which is quite good too
It depends on which kind of beer you are drinking...if you a drinking "Hefe Weizen" or "Weißbier" These breweries are just fine, but if you are drinking Pilsner these are no good options.
Unfortunately I wasn't in that German Alberta microbrewery when I was there, maybe I will give a try next time :)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Only way they’re trading Ceci is if they have a RHD replacement lined up. I doubt they’re gonna push Broberg to play his offside in the top 4 all season long.

… I could see a Nurse trade though.
Even Stevie Wonder can see that Nurse ain't getting traded

I think Kane to LTIR is a real thing so I don't think they need to trade Ceci to be cap compliant BUT I think a savvy move would be to trade Ceci for, say, a 3rd rounder and use that pick as a trade deadline trade chip especially with their asset base a bit diminished with the draft day trade. I don't think they HAVE TO trade Ceci because of the Kane LTIR option but there's a possibility that both Kane gets LTIR'd and Ceci is traded. I think Stecher AND Brown were signed for a reason, that could be our new #6 and #7 with Carrick being the 8.
I don't think JJ is done cooking this offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It depends on which kind of beer you are drinking...if you a drinking "Hefe Weizen" or "Weißbier" These breweries are just finde, but if you are drinking Pilsner these are no good options.
Unfortunately I wasn't in that German Alberta microbrewery when I was there, maybe I will give a try next time :)

That’s usually what I’d have from either brewery, or dunkels. Been a while though for either. I’m going to see if I can find some microbrewed German beers next time, there is a specialty beer store nearby that has one of the best import selections in Edmonton

BertMcDrai

Nov 26, 2018
That’s usually what I’d have from either brewery, or dunkels. Been a while though for either. I’m going to see if I can find some microbrewed German beers next time, there is a specialty beer store nearby that has one of the best import selections in Edmonton
Hopefully you will get a good one, I only know some German special beers from smaller breweries which you can get in such beer stores, but the really good and small ones are usually not there but with today's possibilities and easy exporting you could maybe find some of them :)

Reactions: Oilhawks

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Let's not act like Holland didn't contribute to what Jackson was able to do yesterday.

Holland despite his flaws assembled a good team, with a good culture, and greatly improved our reputation as a team that was enjoyable to play for.

Even looking at who we signed all of Janmark, Brown, and Henrique are guys he brought in who stated they bonded with the guys in the room and enjoyed the city and the deep run; they aren't saying that if they weren't already here and gone through that experience.

Then Arvidsson said he talked to his friends and was greatly influenced by Ekholm (who Holland traded for) and Adam Larsson.

As for J. Skinner dude was just bought out having a bad season stats wise by his standards and is critiqued for never being in the playoffs. If you are his agent what team are you going to recommend he sign with? A team that just made it to the Finals so he's likely to pop his no playoffs cherry and 2 of the best centers in the entire league, an absolute no brainer.

While I appreciate the other guys we signed, I don't think anyone aside from this bunch was hotly contested.

In saying that also props to Jackson I don't think Holland would of been capable of doing so much in a single day and such reasonable contracts on top of that, also not sure Holland would have the balls to go over the cap to land Henrique and fix that issue later.
Skinner mentioned in his interview how both Knoblauch and Jackson made him feel wanted ever since the league allowed communication between them. Then Jackson repeatedly checked in on him July 1st which added to that feeling. Remember, this is a guy who was just bought out.

That's good culture.

Holland helped immensely in this area as he left behind an organization full of good work environment employees and practices. Jackson inherited a warm, loving home. He was then able to concentrate on other things, like the families finances.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Listened to the relevant part. Really interesting. Under pressure from ownership? Just guessing, but it sounds like Coffey and Katz probably were watching him like a hawk. Maybe even questioning certain moves.

I don’t mind it. But I can picture that annoying Kenny.

That’s the headspace veteran NHL mgmt guys operate in.

They can’t believe people question their decisions, have someone promoted above them or heaven forbid not have their contract extended.

Take a guy like Chia, he should be working at his local hardware store after the job he did here and yet he just moved onto another exclusive NHL gig.

Kenny’s record here was debatable at best and yet he probably assumed he could sit in this role until he wanted to leave making 1 signing a summer and then pontificating that his hands are tied due to the cap to anyone who would listen.

Hell, one of this biggest PoS in NHL exec history, Campbell, just got the HHOF nod.

I can’t imagine what the NHL would like if they actually hired bright, diverse minds for various roles instead of a collection of old white guy who played some level of pro hockey.

Reactions: stewy04

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm very biased fwiw, I heard all this the day after, I sort of half posted the truth on HF if anyone wants to confirm. It's why I have been adamant that Jackson was in charge since day one

They did do him dirty. I'm glad people are speaking up for Holland.

If you can work the owner's ear into creating a position above the POHO, without the involvement of the POHO, what does POHO even mean? It was then compounded by trotting Holland out at the presser.

Also, just my opinion here, but if you are next in line, and you see an old school, considerate, hockey person, treated this way, do you move towards the door or away? If the keys to hockey ops are the owners ear, and not hockey ops, then your future title is meaningless.

Not disagreeing with you really, in fact I'm agreeing with you. Here comes that "but" though, lol..... This is just how it is with many, MANY, privately owned companies that don't have a huge "HR presence" and lots of internal rules/regulations around how HR activities are handled. "Being friends with the owner" is a tale as old as time. Doesn't make it right, and certainly has lots of negative outcomes for people within the organization, but this isn't exactly new information in the NHL, as almost all franchises are renown for this type of internal politics.

I mean this is just objectively wrong.

The Avs lost Nichushkin and both their rentals in Walker and Trenin while adding nothing of substance. Their goaltending is a major weak point. Even Skinner's biggest detractors would take him in a heartbeat over Georgiev.

Vegas lost its top goal scorer. Pietrangelo is fading fast. Their goaltending is a massive question mark.

Stars just spent 7mil to add Dumba55 and Lyubushkin, two bottom pairing D to their roster to replace Tanev who was one of their top 2D in the playoffs, while also losing Pavelski, who obviously didn't produce in the playoffs but was one of their top producers in season.

I would need to do some serious mental gymnastics to try and convince myself that any of these 3 teams improved.

Canucks at best went lateral, and that might be generous when you look at their D going into next year. Debrusk doesn't move the needle and they lost other depth players on top of their rentals in Lindholm and Zadorov.

I never said any of them improved. I just stated they are all very dangerous still, and I don't think we'd be a clear favorite in any series with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad