Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
5a83d405b9d7729a79baebef21be6443.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
When we lost in game 7 this year, it was gutting, and I had the same feeling as I did in 2006, and figured that this was going to linger for a long time, but I now realize that a large part of the feeling I had in 2006 was that it was a one and done scenario, and while this years loss is still painful, it really has been reduced fairly quickly by the hope that we have another good opportunity to win it all next year.

This iteration of the Oilers need to give themselves permission to be the best version of themselves in certain situations. They finally got over the Conference Final hump, but I think the Finals are a different animal that they weren't quite mentally prepared for and it cost us early.

There are a bunch of reasons we lost, but the biggest one may very well be the fact that we habitually shot glove on Bobrovsky in Game 1 despite him being arguably the best glove side goalie in the NHL. Had we shot blocker on him one or two of those breakaways we had on him probably go in and its a whole different ball game.

I don't foresee them overlooking those details if they get back next year. Small things like mis-scouting goalies or not preparing where to shoot on goalies won't be a thing again.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Anyone else not at all sold on Nashvilles moves yesterday? They’ve locked themselves into a heck of an old core.
I’m half sold. Adding two 40 goal scorers and Skjei to a squad that had 99 points last year is a pretty good off season. They will be very hard to beat even if it’s only for a season or 2.

Reactions: bellagiobob

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I think they're going to be really good for 1-3 years, but after that is a question mark. They play quality fundamental hockey, scoring goals was the only weak point which they addressed in spades.
I agree. Stamkos and Marchessault are big time adds and completely change the complexion of the team. They already had the elite goalie and the #1 D, just needed someone other than Forsberg to score goals.

Reactions: McOilers97

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I 100% blocked him

Surprised the obvious troll hasn't been deleted yet tbh.

Anyone else not at all sold on Nashvilles moves yesterday? They’ve locked themselves into a heck of an old core.

They made good moves, but not anything game breaking. Nashville has always been in an awkward spot where they are good but not good enough. This doesn't really change things.

Reactions: Faelko

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I agree. Stamkos and Marchessault are big time adds and completely change the complexion of the team. They already had the elite goalie and the #1 D, just needed someone other than Forsberg to score goals.
If Forsberg-O'Reilly-Stamkos is line 1, that's a pretty deadly trio. I like them to contend for the div title in the Central.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The DVD finally worked!
The still can't believe the dumb OBC sent that out. That's so embarrassing

I honestly think we may have done better. The Stamkos they got is the one who had less 5v5 points than Foegele last year. Marchy is a great add and same with Skjei

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Really good pieces and players.

Skjei I think will help a lot.

But I am not sure who’s getting Forsberg, Marchessault, Stamkos etc the puck. They only have 1 O’Reilly. Their center depth is poor.

I think Brunette is a good coach though and will find at least ways to unlock them. It’s probably great for their fans, and business side.

They should make the playoffs easier than this last year.

Theres a clear divide between the top 4 and bottom 4 in the central.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
It feels similar to when Minnesota added Parise and Suter. They're clearly better in the short term, although I'm not convinced they're good enough to truly compete for a cup. Long term some of those contracts will hurt them.

They're not in a market that could necessarily stomache a rebuild, so they've gone out and built a team that should be fun to watch, and should be a solid team in a tough central division. This isn't the way to build a cup winner, but you have to feel good for Preds fans getting something exciting to watch.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The still can't believe the dumb OBC sent that out. That's so embarrassing

I honestly think we may have done better. The Stamkos they got is the one who had less 5v5 points than Foegele last year. Marchy is a great add and same with Skjei
PP points are still points. Preds needed a PP boost and they certainly got it.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Surprised the obvious troll hasn't been deleted yet tbh.

They made good moves, but not anything game breaking. Nashville has always been in an awkward spot where they are good but not good enough. This doesn't really change things.
this could be said of a lot of teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad