Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This has to be the next hurdle to cross.

So far in every season we have had about a 4-6 week stretch of being shit that ends up costing us home ice by the second round. In a round about way, the choice to be unprepared to start the season may have cost us the cup by virtue of not having home ice in the Final. There is no way we lose both Game 1 and 2 at home, or Game 7 for that matter.

We have the best team in the NHL, so we need to actually act like it from October to April without the Oiler-esque stretches of unforeseen ineptitude. This time I think we actually have the coaching staff to make that a reality, Woodcroft had difficulty preparing the team for anything.
I think thats the difference.
I mean the team did lose 3 in a row a few times under Knoblauch but they never seemed to drift too far away from Knoblauchs system where as under Woodcroft the team would just get lost and have a hard time getting their game back.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I mean the team did lose 3 in a row a few times under Knoblauch but they never seemed to drift too far away from Knoblauchs system where as under Woodcroft the team would just get lost and have a hard time getting their game back.

I think the difference is when they slipped under Knoblauch it was a result of maybe taking a night off, being tired, or an underperformance glitch somewhere in the lineup (goalie, Nurse falling apart, PK/PP hitting a little rut, etc). Adjustment or re-alignment was all that was needed to get back on track.

Under Woodcroft it would seem like total team would implode at the same time making it seem like there was no way back. Even in 22-23, we didn't collapse to start the season like we did in 23-24, but in hindsight, we weren't all that far off. Our special teams were the only thing keeping us in the realm of .500 all the way into December before we got our bearings. We didn't have the special teams bump this year, making it impossible to win. Woodcroft did it two years in a row with the horrid starts, but only really truly got credit for one.

Reactions: guymez

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Brannstrom signed in Colorado.

I'm over the moon about getting all of our guys re-signed. But it still sucks watching guys like that go to the 'smart' teams that always seem to find players out of the scrap heap.

Don't know how he fits, but I still want them to sign Boqvist.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Knoblauch's team is like Knoblauch's personality, no panic and a commitment to the system. Really shows this team really has some fortitude to it.

Could the Oilers make a trade with UTAH for Shea Weber's rights and use his LTIR?
Adding another HHOFer, I like it ;)

Reactions: guymez

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Brannstrom signed in Colorado.

I'm over the moon about getting all of our guys re-signed. But it still sucks watching his like that go to the 'smart' teams that always seem to find players out of the scrap heap.

Don't know how he fits, but I still want them to sign Boqvist.

I don't think that's a good fit for the Avalanche to be honest.

Having a fast, skilled defence is great, but that defines 5 of their 6 D men. 5 of those 6 D men are also under 6'1. Brannstrom isn't that great to begin with, if you're going to acquire a project they probably would have been better served to pick one up that's a bit bigger and more physical. The quick counter defence that they smoked teams with in 2022 is great if you have a 4 line attack, but it's much more difficult to get away with it when you're a one line team like they are now.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
other than Nashville every other team in the west got worse. the oilers got better, hoping for a healthy season player wise. the oilers are in a really good spot.

That only works if we send equal unwanted healthy salary back.
you mean cody ceci?

Reactions: Gordian Knot

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Just looked at CapFriendly and Jesus this team is old as hell lol.

Five players 25 or under, sheesh.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This is the last year on his deal, if Pittsburgh is not in a playoff spot at the deadline, yeah ... I ain't even joking. The Oilers should seriously think about this.

For Crosby I think the idea of coming to Canada and ending Canada's Cup drought, helping McDavid take the next step (kinda of like a Wayne + Mario teaming up for the 1987 Canada Cup moment) would be very appealing. It would be an incredible way to round out one of the greatest careers in NHL history. 4 Cups would also match Gretzky.

It would cement his legacy for sure. 8.7 cap hit at 50% retained could be made to work.
Interesting idea!! While I suspect Crosby will just stay where he is if he did want one more shot it would be a cool move. Double retention on his deal would be very cheap money wise. About $500K for Pittsburgh and $250K for team two. That would put his cap hit at about $2.175M.

He also controls pretty much every aspect of where he plays. The only kicker is that he seems to be very close to MacKinnon.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just looked at CapFriendly and Jesus this team is old as hell lol.

Five players 25 or under, sheesh.

This is actually my biggest concern for the upcoming season, and BY FAR the biggest concern for 2026-27 and onwards. But that future problem is exactly that, a problem for another day.

We are going to start seeing father time affect a huge portion of our roster. Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Kane, Henrique, Arvidsson, and Skinner are all well into the downward production slope of their careers. We aren't going to get a 100+ point RNH season or 50+ goal Hyman season again, that is behind them. So we can expect some lesser production from these players and likely some more injuries. It's just the way it works. Now, I don't think they are all going to step off a cliff together this year or anything, but on the aggregate, it should be noticeable next year.

The good thing is that for the playoffs, when the game is completely different, and you need that team game, having veterans will be very useful. Barring injuries in the playoffs that is, because as we saw this year, it can screw you out of a cup win. I will go to my dying breath 100% convinced that a healthy Drai lands us the cup this year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's not a concern that we are an older team. If the Oilers win a cup this year. Every teams become a farm team for the Oilers. It's already starting to look like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad