Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Just looked at CapFriendly and Jesus this team is old as hell lol.

Five players 25 or under, sheesh.
Just goes to show that the time is now, we’ve spent years and years being a ‘young’ team

JJ has positioned the team to have its best season in the McD era going into next season

Besides, the most important thing is that the core drivers are prime age aka McDrai and Bouchard

Reactions: TB12 and Oilers88

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is the last year on his deal, if Pittsburgh is not in a playoff spot at the deadline, yeah ... I ain't even joking. The Oilers should seriously think about this.

For Crosby I think the idea of coming to Canada and ending Canada's Cup drought, helping McDavid take the next step (kinda of like a Wayne + Mario teaming up for the 1987 Canada Cup moment) would be very appealing. It would be an incredible way to round out one of the greatest careers in NHL history. 4 Cups would also match Gretzky.

It would cement his legacy for sure. 8.7 cap hit at 50% retained could be made to work.

Oh yeah, if he is actually wanting another run, we'd be beyond foolish for not making a call to see if there was anything there. Obviously I have ZERO insider information, so this is pure speculation, but I've always thought Crosby wanted to be a Penguin for his entire career. I personally, again all speculation, would be quite surprised if he went anywhere else for even 1 game.

I agree though, that IF he was willing to entertain such an idea, Edmonton would be the obvious landing spot if they could make the money work somehow.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We should take the Vegas Stone route and LTIR Kane until the end of the season. Of course the league will then step in and close that loophole.

I think it's pretty obvious that we are planning to do that exact thing. At least put him on LTIR until the trade deadline, when he has a modified 16 team NTC and we could potentially trade him. I would rather they LTIR him all year though, and just keep the player as he really is a unicorn when he is healthy.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yup, the west is ours for the taking. The only teams that improved are not enough of threat for us, not yet anyways. Utah and Nashville got better but I don’t think they’re as good as our team yet.

The main contenders were always going to be Avs, Vegas, Canucks and Stars. All of them got worse.

This season has to be about having a dominant regular season and have home ice in playoffs.

Truly believe that with the atmosphere in our building, it’s a difference maker.

I think the Avs are still clearly as good as we are, and maybe better. Vegas is still really good, but I think got worse. Canucks still a great team with great tending, which can be the deciding factor in any series. Stars are still a great young team as well, with lots of depth scoring and good tending.

Truthfully, of those 4, only Vegas got worse in any real way IMO.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Credit to Rico's wife for being supportive. Anyone who's lived in FL or California knows that once you get sand between your toes, it's hard to leave especially if you can afford it. That's just the way it is. That's a good woman he's got there.

I wonder if some of our other young parents on the team reached out to the Henrique's on the family side. One thing Florida and California maybe don't have is a core of young families like we do.

Basically all our support guys are dads with young families. Hyman. Kane. Ekholm. Ryan. Nurse. RNH. Perry. Brown. Kane. Gagner. Even Skinner and Pickard. The Oilers wives and girlfriends group is probably one of the best young kids support groups in the league at this point, tbh.

That kind of thing on top of our world class education system probably helps sell Edmonton quite a bit to a young and wealthy mother tbh.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think the Avs are still clearly as good as we are, and maybe better. Vegas is still really good, but I think got worse. Canucks still a great team with great tending, which can be the deciding factor in any series. Stars are still a great young team as well, with lots of depth scoring and good tending.

I'm not seeing it, especially now that Nichkushkin is probably a goner too.

Their team is Mackinnon, Rantanten, Makar, then a whole lot of mediocre with Lekhonen being the tallest midget of "the rest." Shaky goaltending, one dimensional/small defense, and a reliance on MacKinnon playing 23+ minutes at least every night to win them games.

They thrive on steam rolling teams for 5-7 min stretches where they rack up offence, but have difficulty sustaining for 60 minutes. I think Nashville is better than them as we sit here today to be honest.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm not seeing it, especially now that Nichkushkin is probably a goner too.

Their team is Mackinnon, Rantanten, Makar, then a whole lot of mediocre with Lekhonen being the tallest midget of "the rest." Shaky goaltending, one dimensional/small defense, and a reliance on MacKinnon playing 23+ minutes at least every night to win them games.

They thrive on steam rolling teams for 5-7 min stretches where they rack up offence, but have difficulty sustaining for 60 minutes. I think Nashville is better than them as we sit here today to be honest.
I don't know how the Avs coaches and players could trust Nichushkin going forward. That's two playoffs in a row where he couldn't keep his personal problems from yeeting himself out of Colorado's line-up with little to no notice. The resulting lack of depth scoring then causes the Avs to crash out of the playoffs shortly thereafter.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His family was a big factor? I thought his family was in California still when we traded for him?

Nevertheless, glad his family likes Edmonton
Needed to have the wifey on board with staying.

They all got worse, pretty clearly too.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Not to look past them because I think they're good, but the Avs are incredibly top heavy now. Thin at forward, talented but kinda soft at D, and I think Georgiev is flat-out not very good.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
When we lost in game 7 this year, it was gutting, and I had the same feeling as I did in 2006, and figured that this was going to linger for a long time, but I now realize that a large part of the feeling I had in 2006 was that it was a one and done scenario, and while this years loss is still painful, it really has been reduced fairly quickly by the hope that we have another good opportunity to win it all next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad