Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
He complained about ice time multiple times in the media this year, so it's believable on that front.

If he's not waiving his NMC, then he'll get his chance to redeem himself on the ice if he can stay healthy and get moved at the trade deadline if he doesn't. Can't see a situation where they buy him out though, that would be 4 years of penalties for a temporary problem.

Yeah, I don't see a buyout either unless it's a complete toxic waste dump in the dressing room with him, and even then...I think they have enough players to tell him to shut the f*** up, play his best so he can get the trade he wants(?) in season

Reactions: Tarus

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

So it's actually 1.15M. 250k in performance bonuses. Not worried about this at all.
Depends on what the bonuses are. Are they meaningful games played/performance metrics, or are they fluff metrics to allow us to push part of the hit to next year.

I'm just surprised, he didn't do a lot this year. $1.4 total seems really high.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They must like Perry in the room.
They could sign a good vet at league minimum for that role, bring back Gagner for the good locker room harmony.

I'm usually glass half full but this is a dumb signing. Perry is cooked and the Oilers need to get younger and faster. If the contract was buriable then sure but this one doesn't seem to be.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He complained about ice time multiple times in the media this year, so it's believable on that front.

If he's not waiving his NMC, then he'll get his chance to redeem himself on the ice if he can stay healthy and get moved at the trade deadline if he doesn't. Can't see a situation where they buy him out though, that would be 6 years of penalties for a temporary problem.

Idk man.

I think as long as he's not throwing other guys under the bus or tearing other guys down none of that's a problem.

Give me 23 guys who want the puck on their stick in the dying seconds of a one goal game. You want guys that want to play and that are confident.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
If we lose/buyout Kane we 100% need to add some toughness.
That's the problem. Kane, with his blend of toughness and hands, is a damn unicorn. You can't find those types of players much anymore, you have to draft them. I'd be ok with giving him another shot, since he did have to recover from a horrific hand injury and also the sports hernia but if he's a problem in the room... you drop him.

I said it before but it's time to move on from the guy. Wrong side of the slope age wise and value for what you're paying, and if there are problems in the room forget it. Sad, because if he'd matured and grown up, learnt from past lessons... he's an extremely valuable sort of player.

Sad end to his time here but not real surprised to hear of issues with him.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Yup. I don't know what the problem is. Some speculating that new management is pissed that he didn't go on LTIR and there was the rumour that he whined about his ice time at the exit interview

His contract becomes an NTC by the TDL so maybe he's gone then. What a mess
If that's true, he's a selfish fkn player and hasn't matured. Want him back but man .. Don't like this...

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
They could sign a good vet at league minimum for that role, bring back Gagner for the good locker room harmony.

I'm usually glass half full but this is a dumb signing. Perry is cooked and the Oilers need to get younger and faster. If the contract was buriable then sure but this one doesn't seem to be.

Apparently Gagner's more cooked than Perry. Team wouldn't even play him.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sorry, if he burnt his bridge here that is all on him. This is a team that wants to win. If he's not doing his part he can f*** right off.

Where has it been reliably reported that this is a thing?

All I've seen is Friedman reporting that even though people are talking about it on Twitter, it seems like it's not a thing a week ago. 😂

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a team out there that was willing to give Perry 2 mil.

He's not very good, but clearly we'll respected around the league

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Depends on what the bonuses are. Are they meaningful games played/performance metrics, or are they fluff metrics to allow us to push part of the hit to next year.

I'm just surprised, he didn't do a lot this year. $1.4 total seems really high.
He was a very useful player in the regular season. I think if you load manage him with 40-50 games in the regular season you might see him be a bit more effective come playoff time.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Henrique is probably still asking for his wife’s permission to stay in Edmonton

Next time I come for a game 6 you guys are going to need to arrange me a tour of the nicer neighborhoods.. jus tin case I ever get offered the GM job I so richly deserve. The (very) long drive from the airport to Ice District likely doesn't sell the city's best assets (though I did enjoy seeing a few mountain bikers getting started near what must have been the Mill Creek Ravine?

Reactions: Canovin

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Some saying Friedman reported that things have gone "very very sour" with Kane and that he might get bought out.

If that's the case, and he wouldn't waive for a trade, he's going to have burned up any and all goodwill with a fanbase that has been (mostly) very supportive with him.

Not sure I am really that surprised. Hes had several weird interviews. He hasn’t been happy about being in the bottom 6 or PP. I am guessing hes the one who didn’t want to go on LTIR and as a result wasn’t effective in the playoffs. Perry and Kane spat. Etc

But hopefully the rumours are false.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Stauffer alluding to the Oilers being in on a R shot D as a depth 8th / call up.. smaller guy. I'm going to go with Boqvist, which isn't a bad shot to take. Around 200 games NHL experience, is what he said. So it all lines up with Boqvist.
That was Brown. Already done and signed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He was really good with the Leafs. Made me wish we got him at the TDL last year.
Edmundson is a 30 year old bottom pairing Dman. That contract both term and AAV is crazy, If you're giving a player like that term, you get him at around 1.5-2m. 3.8m over 4 years is baffling.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Perry contract mainly, but then went off about Pickard getting 1mil 2 years.

Lol. 400K is nothing really. Would have preferred 1M but he got 4M from the Hawks last year. He's got value around this League.

Also alot of Perry's value goes unseen on the ice. He was only okay for us but management and the coaches, guys in the room, know alot more than we do in terms of what he brings overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad