Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fun fact:

Bowman signing Seth Jones to a 9M+ deal is what (more or less) directly lead to Nurse’s contract.

Yeah, GTFO with this rumour. It better not be true.

Think the org was desperate to make any splash they could to distract from the scandal. Luckily Holland was open to helping them free up cap space and trade them Seth's bro to make it all easy!

But yeah, no Bowman pls.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Bowman doesn’t seem like a Jackson hire to me

Probably too much baggage. Was just looking at his trade history. He did pretty well to retool before his top guys couldn't really dominate anymore. Made lots of winning trades in Chicago.

Stakes so high with this hire. Feeling the stress

3 Cups was plenty for Kaner

$115M career earnings. Gotta squeeze every last possible penny still with no chance at a cup. So crazy

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If you think 4.5-3.3=1.4 then I'm glad you didn't become an accountant.

By buying him out we save a total of $1.2 more than we would by burying him in the minors, not $1.2 million total. We save $4.5 million.

The important thing anyway is the distribution of those savings. We are saving $9 million over the next three seasons and then paying $4.5 million over the three seasons after. With the rising cap, the penalty that we will be paying in years 4-6 will become a smaller percentage of the cap every season.

Hes arguing with a guy who was actually an accountant. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Probably too much baggage. Was just looking at his trade history. He did pretty well to retool before his top guys couldn't really dominate anymore. Made lots of winning trades in Chicago.

Stakes so high with this hire. Feeling the stress

$115M career earnings. Gotta squeeze every last possible penny still with no chance at a cup. So crazy

In all seriousness, I don’t understand why he’s bothering with a bubble team like the DRW. Might as well just retire if he’s not willing to go outside the big metro areas in the East

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bowman seems like a dumb rumour. Based off how this org has operated since JJ took over, Bowman doesn’t strike me as the guy JJ would hire.

Have a feeling we go in a different direction.

Not to bring politics into this, but prior to joining the Oilers JJ was very sanctimonious politically on twitter. Some might even say woke.

May mean nothing, but doesn’t strike me as the type to shrug off Bowman’s history unless he’s a total hypocrite.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
In addition to all the moral objections to Stan Bowman didn’t he basically dismantle the dynasty Hawks?

Dynasty ended when Toews and Seabrook dropped off. Same will happen one day with McDrai. Don't think he did that bad a job of retooling to win 2 more cups.

Think the worst move happened right before he took over. Last GM forgot to qualify a bunch of important guys in the 2010 run. One of the most bizarre events in NHL history lol.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fun fact:

Bowman signing Seth Jones to a 9M+ deal is what (more or less) directly lead to Nurse’s contract.

Yeah, GTFO with this rumour. It better not be true.
For sure if we would target Bowman I'd just be wondering why we didn't just keep Holland.

Do people think we would get Bowman just because we have a history getting players with off ice issues? (Kane and Perry?) If so that's just funny.

Reactions: oobga

ilovetheshowlost

Sep 8, 2016
Besides Mark Hunter, and now Bowman.. have there been any other GM names connected to us? I can't even think of other potential candidates. Allegedly we want someone with experience, so I imagine whoever it ends up being will be a name we are at least somewhat familiar with.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
For sure if we would target Bowman I'd just be wondering why we didn't just keep Holland.

Do people think we would get Bowman just because we have a history getting players with off ice issues? (Kane and Perry?) If so that's just funny.

We really should have our pick of anyone out there available. Chance to GM McDavid, Draia nd Bouch to a cup after what everyone just saw. Katz willing to pay whatever a guy is worth, maybe even more if needed. It's a once in a lifetime job opportunity for a guy to boost their reputation for life.

Now it's a matter of knowing what is out there and picking the right guy. I do really hope there are way better choices in Jackson's view right now than Bowman.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wasn't Bowman the one that f***ed up the Versteeg, Bolland, and (I'm missing one but I can't remember) qualifying offers by just straight missing the deadline?

Wasn't that like essentially a 6 million dollar extra cap hit that year when the total cap was like 45 million? That's like a 12 million dollar f*** up this year.

Yeah no thanks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We really should have our pick of anyone out there available. Chance to GM McDavid, Draia nd Bouch to a cup after what everyone just saw. Katz willing to pay whatever a guy is worth, maybe even more if needed. It's a once in a lifetime job opportunity for a guy to boost their reputation for life.

Now it's a matter of knowing what is out there and picking the right guy. I do really hope there are way better choices in Jackson's view right now than Bowman.
I'd guess whatever GM we get would be focused on advanced stats/ analytics. That was something that Holland seemed quite dismissive of.

I'd say Holland's attitude of buying the person kind of killed us with the Campbell deal, but maybe explains why he'd go extra hard after Hyman too.

Reactions: oobga

Hollywood55

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Bowman seems like a dumb rumour. Based off how this org has operated since JJ took over, Bowman doesn’t strike me as the guy JJ would hire.

Have a feeling we go in a different direction.
That same guy also linked Bowman to the penguins last year. It's not a legitimate rumor.

Kinda surprised that Tanev and Guentzel haven’t signed yet
Hope the leafs lose haha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay