Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
wow, Schwartz's top pupil, Hart, going UFA. Wonder if we try to get him, must be screams from the longest tenured Oiler in coaching and maybe top 3 tenured in all coaching/management to get him.

• Haha
Reactions: Markham30

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Just because they can save less money in an alternative fashion (by burying him in the minors) doesn't mean we aren't still saving $4.5 million over the next 6 years by buying him out.

Don't make me dig up my math degree, scan it and post it lol.
My professor in college begged me to be an accountant after I saved wealthy people millions just by recognizing a three stage investment tax loophole. Let's not go there. ;)

On a 5 million dollar contract.

If you didn't buy him out you would save 3.3M.

You buy him out and those 3.3 million in savings are gone because you cant send him to the minors. For all intents and purposes his cap hit is 3.9m.

4.5 minus 3.3 = 1.4m

That is what you are saving over six years instead of leaving him in the minors.

That doesn't even begin to address the trade option.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Good. We want it to be radio silence. Don't need all these big promises coming out here and there, and it never happens.
but we will still hear PLayer X is talking to the oilers--leaked from their agent to try and get a better offer somewhere else. Like TO, oilers are always used as a stooge by agents to try to get a better offer from somewhere else

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
My professor in college begged me to be an accountant after I saved wealthy people millions just by recognizing a three stage investment tax loophole. Let's not go there. ;)

You buy him out and those 3.3 million in savings are gone because you cant send him to the minors. For all intents and purposes his cap hit is 3.9m.

4.5 minus 3.3 = 1.4m

That is what you are saving over six years instead of leaving him in the minors.

If you think 4.5-3.3=1.4 then I'm glad you didn't become an accountant.

By buying him out we save a total of $1.2 more than we would by burying him in the minors, not $1.2 million total. We save $4.5 million.

The important thing anyway is the distribution of those savings. We are saving $9 million over the next three seasons and then paying $4.5 million over the three seasons after. With the rising cap, the penalty that we will be paying in years 4-6 will become a smaller percentage of the cap every season.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
wow, Schwartz's top pupil, Hart, going UFA. Wonder if we try to get him, must be screams from the longest tenured Oiler in coaching and maybe top 3 tenured in all coaching/management to get him.
Nobody is signing a player about to go on trial for sexual assault and, if they do, they deserve all the negative publicity that comes with that decision.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah they should just throw away 3.3M in real dollars for no reason. Like it or not but the real dollars are part of the equation and a big reason why it costs so much to dump a bad contract. This isn't a video game. These kinds of million dollar mistakes cost people their jobs.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That would be quite the... uh.. choice

Controversy aside, my memories of him are that he was quite a busy GM, but mostly inherited a dominant core that smoothed over his bigger mistakes(the Saad/Panarin trades etc)

I realize that I have not lived in Edmonton for 30 years, but hiring Bowman would have the same reaction as the Eskimos hiring Eric Tillman. The moment Tillman got hired fans were not happy. Bowman turned a blind eye and tried to cover up shit 10 times worse than what Tillman did.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Sounds like Patrick Kane is about to re-sign in Detroit
Ah damn, that's too bad

Always held out a little bit of hope he might come to Edmonton after all that noise about the Oilers being interest in the last few years. He'd be amazing playing wing with Drai

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Nobody is signing a player about to go on trial for sexual assault and, if they do, they deserve all the negative publicity that comes with that decision.
Can Holland do it as his last move in management? Rest of the org can just claim ignorance that they forgot to revoke his authority.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I imagine the pending sexual assault trial might have something to do with being a UFA.

Reactions: capazzo

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

4.5 minus 3.3 = 1.4m

4.5 - 3.3 is how much Mr. accountant?

Reactions: OilerTyler

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah they should just throw away 3.3M in real dollars for no reason. Like it or not but the real dollars are part of the equation and a big reason why it costs so much to dump a bad contract. This isn't a video game. These kinds of million dollar mistakes cost people their jobs.
They almost made that in one or two playoff games. The guy is a billionaire.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I imagine the pending sexual assault trial might have something to do with being a UFA.

Is kinda interesting to me that teams have to just lose asset value like that without the player being guilty, but I guess every team did the same with the players involved.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Well they didn't have to...

Not sure why you are defending the players involved here.

Not defending the players. More the teams. If they players are found not guilty and can play again, all these teams lost the asset. Hart especially is a guy Philly put a lot of effort into to try to develop.

But of course no team wants to be the one to qualify when the rest kick the players to the curb.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How does Strickland even have a source in relation to Oilers? If there’s no teeth to that rumor he can go f*** himself. Throws our org under the bus.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

4.5 minus 3.3 = 1.4m

Your prof teach you anything about logical fallacy or sunk cost?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If you think 4.5-3.3=1.4 then I'm glad you didn't become an accountant.

By buying him out we save a total of $1.2 more than we would by burying him in the minors, not $1.2 million total. We save $4.5 million.

The important thing anyway is the distribution of those savings. We are saving $9 million over the next three seasons and then paying $4.5 million over the three seasons after. With the rising cap, the penalty that we will be paying in years 4-6 will become a smaller percentage of the cap every season.
Ha ha. Ya, 1.2.

I guess I need to double check my work. If that's the best you got...kind of petty.

Ignore the reality that he can be buried. That's what you are doing...

They save 1.2M over six years instead of leaving him in the minors. You can dance around that all you want, but that is a concrete fact.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2