Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He was, no exaggeration, the worst possible goalie for us to sign that offseason based on analytics profile and I said as much the weeks leading up to him hitting free agency. Did well into low/medium danger shots and had decent puck freeze stats, near the worst in the league for high danger shots, bad goals saved above expected, bad consistency, bad against tips/deflections. Then he came here and somehow couldn't stop low danger shots or freeze pucks either (probably Dustin Schwartz effect). As for the goalie department thing, we could literally hire the Rangers and Islanders staff combined and it still wouldn't matter b/c Dustin would find a way to ruin them anyway.
Great post

Not expecting the Oilers to do much if anything at all. Just try and tidy up their free agents and that’s about it.
They need a top 4 d man and top 6 winger for Draisaitl. These are critical needs

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Because retention will end sooner. Who says it would be 2.5M? This season they have Brown’s bonus, Perry’s bonus, Neal’s buyout, and now Campbell’s buyout. That’s what 7M? That’s a significant player. That’s just a bad way to do business. All this is my opinion, of course. You are entitled to yours.
Yes it would be great if every move the team made worked out perfectly.

I think everyone agrees with that opinion

If you trade with retention then you still have all those other things but are 99% likely spending more on Campbell

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
In an alternate universe Marky accepted our UFA offer, and bombed in playoffs, and we bought him out to try again by signing Campbell :laugh:

Our goalie pro scouting needs to be way better. Hopefully the last inconsistent headcase we go all in on. We tried to go all in on 2 of them in the last 5 years.
I wonder how much is coaching. Bobrovsky is a bit of a head case and I wonder how he would have looked here. Probably would have fallen into one of his slumps and maybe struggled to ever get out of it. Or maybe not.

Glad Campbell is gone, I really didn’t want to sign the guy after such a short sample size as a starter and half of their sample was a disaster. Very foolish signing, of course I hoped it would work out but holy smokes it was worse than I thought.

Reactions: foshizzle

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yes it would be great if every move the team made worked out perfectly.

I think everyone agrees with that opinion

If you trade with retention then you still have all those other things but are 99% likely spending more on Campbell
No one is saying every move. How about just the big ones? With analytics and scouting combined- big dollar pays need to work out every time. If there is even a little shadow of doubt- don’t invest.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
There were red flags with Campbell from day 0. Those discussions are all out there.

That said, I also think it would be unfair not to acknowledge that he turned out to be somehow even worse than his biggest detractors thought he might be.

Its true, I was against it from the get go but even I said something like “maybe if we are out on the other Gs and can get him to 4 x 4.75 it’d be alright” . Woulda been an easier buyout I guess but yeesh.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_5118.jpeg

Not one of these other teams are supposed to be contenders.

Signing Hyman and trading for Ekholm is more than offset by this buyout and the Nurse contract.

Its like bringing the most 2 beautiful gifts to someone’s wedding and getting a standing ovation but then getting drunk, falling into the wedding cake, throwing up in the punch bowl, taking your pants off and then at the mike making a slurred joke about how the groom was seen kissing the maid of honour in the hallway and how hot the bride is, right before leaving and crashing his car into the wedding limo, ruining the entire day.

Thanks Holland. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
It is stunning that Campbell was passable in Toronto for a couple of seasons. He seems like an athletic AHL goalie. Best of luck to him, and big congrats to him and his agent for getting about 20M before taxes for, what, 1.1 seasons of sub par NHL goaltending? Set for life with generational wealth.

Reactions: Hollywood55

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Dead cap isn’t an investment when it lowers your overall cap space. Dead cap is literally a punishment for poor management. Calling it an investment is like saying your Tesla stock is down 30% so you’re jumping ship and calling your stop loss an investment. Your overall portfolio is down. You lost money. Sure you freed up some money to buy other stock- but you’re buying power is way less.

Anyways- he’s being bought out- no point discussing further

In both examples, the investment is now a sunken cost. You can lament on how and why it became a poor investment, but then you move on from that and try and maximize your return with what remains of that asset. In the case of Campbell, it’s going to cost you cap space in both of the options, you just have to decide which one fits into your teams overall cap space situation year to year. The Oilers are banking on being competitive this year, another win it all year, and need every dollar of cap space they can muster. A few years down the line when the cap should continue to rise, and we no longer have other dead cap space, the Campbell dead cap hit won’t be as burdensome as his full cap hit would be this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad