Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
I presume Vinik was consulted before Stammer was allowed to walk and likely with the communication leading up to today. Perhaps not, but given who Stammer is, I’d imagine so…..and that’s what bothers me the most
Gretzky was traded. If I am mad at JBB for anything is that he didn't trade him at the deadline and get value, this team was not making a run. To let him walk is stupid. If you want to be mad, be mad about that.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Gretzky was traded. If I am mad at JBB for anything is that he didn't trade him at the deadline and get value, this team was not making a run. To let him walk is stupid. If you want to be mad, be mad about that.
I really don’t want to be made. And I’m really not. But I am VERY interested in how things are handled. How things are communicated. Transparency is important. Was JBB transparent with Stammer? It doesn’t seem like Stammer believes so, but I guess we will never know for sure.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I really don’t want to be made. And I’m really not. But I am VERY interested in how things are handled. How things are communicated. Transparency is important. Was JBB transparent with Stammer? It doesn’t seem like Stammer believes so, but I guess we will never know for sure.
It seems easy to understand tbh.
JBB wanted Stamkos to stay, but at the price he set because he saw what we all saw: Stamkos regressing in the most important parts of the game. So he could not allocate more cap to him, or it would have been detrimental to the successo of the team.
Stamkos thought he deserved more, as he still got 40G and such. But the two parties didn't find a middle ground that could work for both, so no deal came to fruition.

Obviously all this hurt Stammer ego, also because it was not the first time JBB outed him as "expendable" (asking him if he would.waive his NTC for Vegas once, not taking care of his contract last offseason, etc.).
But it's all part of a GM's job.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It sounds to me that JFBB's retirement deals are all "take it or leave it" with the exception of Hedman's. Killorn, Palat and now Stamkos. This sucks dude
Yzerman has a similar approach. There's a certain amount of wiggle room in negotiating, but there is also a hard line that he won't cross.

We can't have two classes of people. Those who get anything they want, and everyone else. Hedman, Kuch, Point, and Vasi are all in the HHOF discussion. Where is the line?

BoltsFanSinceDay1

Apr 27, 2019
Yeah, it's not black and white, Don Meehan is hardly an angel and he would for sure push for as much money and term as possible (it's his job after all).

After what I read and heard, I do agree it could've been dealt with better, but I don't see it would've changed the outcome of Stamkos leaving. I don't see him take less than 6, maybe even 7 (depending on the term), with Meehan pushing hard for it.
Naive question here...are agents paid a percentage or a flat fee? If percentage, that changes the dynamics a lot.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yzerman has a similar approach. There's a certain amount of wiggle room in negotiating, but there is also a hard line that he won't cross.

We can't have two classes of people. Those who get anything they want, and everyone else. Hedman, Kuch, Point, and Vasi are all in the HHOF discussion. Where is the line?
Anyone can answer back "And Stamkos isn't?" and talk about respect

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I do wonder if Stammer was asking for 6 or 7 and it came down to Hedman OR Stamkos (since JBB was set on Guentzel). Kind of seems that way
i dont think so. Hedman's contract doesnt kick in until the season after next. And I mean... Hedman got a 250k raise. It's almost status quo in terms of cap.

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
Hedman is a defenseman so I suspect he is viewed differently than Stamkos, Palat or Killorn.

A study from 2014 found that:

Forwards perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 32 years old.
Forwards improve more quickly than they decline and typically begin "a significant decline in their early 30s".

D-men perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 34 years old. They improve and decline more slowly than forwards and do so very symmetrically.

Goalies on the other hand, performance varies little by age. At every age between 20 and 37, their save percentage is between 90 per cent and a tiny fraction over 91 per cent.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Hedman is a defenseman so I suspect he is viewed differently than Stamkos, Palat or Killorn.

A study from 2014 found that:

Forwards perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 32 years old.
Forwards improve more quickly than they decline and typically begin "a significant decline in their early 30s".

D-men perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 34 years old. They improve and decline more slowly than forwards and do so very symmetrically.

Goalies on the other hand, performance varies little by age. At every age between 20 and 37, their save percentage is between 90 per cent and a tiny fraction over 91 per cent.
Hedman is more valuable. Top D is a premium. Blue liners like Hedman are generational.

Interesting he got 32M over 4, nice term. Not going to hang forever when he is done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outl4w

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
So we lack a top 6 forward and at least one bottom 6 forward. Our defense is questionable and not certainly better or worse. So we are in the exact same spot we were post round 1 exits for leafs and panthers just no stamkos. I talked to Stamkos' yard man and he said Stamkos would take 6 million for 4 years. Jokes aside, I miss Stamkos and unless a major trade and signing happens we aren't necessarily better or worse now we may have helped the future with geekie but prospects aren't a good thing to bet on.

I like those, Roslovic probably first choice. Although, I have to wonder if Tarasenko is a better fit for the Lightning style vs FLA.
Why not sign both. Both can play top6/9.

Reactions: T REX

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I have a feeling there is going to be a trade... and it's going to be significant. Just a feeling.
The only 2 names I can think of would be Cirelli or Cernak, but the problem is we need top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men (especially a righty). Trading them just creates an even bigger hole. We don't really have much draft capital or prospect capital. Unless they flip Geekie, which I hope they don't.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
When the flames are put of Contention around January we would trade sheary for mantha plus something to get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad