Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers waive Lavoie again

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I mean, they can’t be stupid enough to think he’ll clear after claims by other teams both times he was waived, right?

Giving him away for a bit more cap at the deadline is the plan, I guess
They really don't want this f***ing guy haha

Kinda wild turn of events for the kid in the last 72 hours. "They love me...they love me not...they love me...they lo...."

Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So was puckpedia saying yesterday that if no other team claims Lavoie other than Vegas that the golden knights can send him to their farm team?

They really don't want this f***ing guy haha

Kinda wild turn of events for the kid in the last 72 hours. "They love me...they love me not...they love me...they lo...."
You would hope they’ve had an honest conversation with his agent at this point

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Can't Vegas just claim him and send him down now? I'd rather give him a few games on the big club than give him away to Vegas.

No only we can I believe.

Edit - nope you’re correct. Looks like Raph might be a Henderson Silver Knight tomorrow. Poor guy.

Edit to the edit - Apparently Vegas can’t claim him twice in a row???

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Guess we’ll find out tomorrow if the second team was legit interested or just did Vegas a favor. I still think it was a favor and Vegas will put in the only claim and then send him to the farm.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Everyone here talking about Defense like Goaltending wasn't an issue last night... Skinner goes through bouts of being bad and showed that again last night. I hope he figures that out but I think Goaltending will be talked about more and more as the season wears on. I believe we should have picked up Chris Driedger for free yesterday.

Yes defense is an issue, but I'd like to give the new guys a little more time to put it all together. It has always appeared like they are going to use the cap space from Kane for a RD at the deadline but prices will be higher if we're more desperate... Gustav Lindstrom is a player I have time to claim but we should have offered a PTO to get a better view.

I'd have time for giving the defence time to gel if the problems were simply chemistry related. They weren't though, and it's a repeat of every f***ing October.

All the same themes are present across the board. Shitty gaps/back in too deep, abysmal coverage off the rush, laissez faire approach to net front defending, not tying up sticks allowing deflection goals, etc, etc, etc.

One of the problems here is like the rest of this group, I've learned that Bouchard is a slow starter. He sucks every October. I'm not as certain on Ekholm, but he wasn't good to start last year either, but that could have been injury related. These two have to step up now and carry the mail, because any formation with Nurse in it is going to get caved, and the third pair is the third pair. Not fair to them, but it is what it is.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No only we can I believe.

Edit - nope you’re correct. Looks like Raph might be a Henderson Silver Knight tomorrow. Poor guy.

Edit to the edit - Apparently Vegas can’t claim him twice in a row???

I am just completely thinking outside of the box here. I wonder if COL(if that's who put the claim in) lets Lavoie clear waivers and then a trade is made.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I love how Nurse gets blamed for everything but no one is saying anything negative about Emberson. What a joke.
The joke is that Emberson is 30 plus games into his NHL career. Nurse has been in the NHL for years and you legitimately can’t tell that he’s not the one 30 plus games in.

Reactions: Skar

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
This is so fukn stupid. Still have inept management after all these years, oldest team in the league. I just read an article that said any team can claim him and send them to their own farm team since he's now waiver exempt. Bye Raph, too bad we never got to know you.

"From NHL insider Elliotte Friedman:

Lavoie was waived by the Oilers earlier this week and then claimed by the Vegas Golden Knights. The Knights then waived Lavoie and he was reclaimed by the Oilers. Well, he’s back on waivers today and the Golden Knights have the opportunity to do the funniest thing of all time…

Interestingly enough, if the Golden Knights (or any other team, for that matter) are the only team to make a claim on Lavoie today then he’ll be waiver exempt and eligible for assignment to the AHL without needing to clear waivers."

MSN

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So when (inevitably) the Oilers need the 13th forward (due to injuries or guys who are finished) then who will that player be?

Wouldn't it make sense to sub Lavoie into the lineup every 2nd game knowing that at some point you can't just go with 12 forwards, two of which are probably in their last NHL season? Are Perry and Ryan going to be solid contributors for the remaining 81 games?

I guess its has to be Philp or Savoie? I can't see that anybody else could fit the bill?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We've now lost Holloway, Broberg, and Lavoie for a 3rd, a 2nd, and nothing in the name of accruing cap space for the deadline.

We had better have a HELL of a trade deadline. If the right side and the old, slow bottom six is good enough to even get there in a half decent position, which it might not be. Not to mention the goaltending.

Cool.

So when (inevitably) the Oilers need the 13th forward (due to injuries or guys who are finished) then who will that player be?

Wouldn't it make sense to sub Lavoie into the lineup every 2nd game knowing that at some point you can't just go with 12 forwards, two of which are probably in their last NHL season? Are Perry and Ryan going to be solid contributors for the remaining 81 games?

I guess its has to be Philp or Savoie? I can't see that anybody else could fit the bill?
it'll almost assuredly be Philp. The fact that he's waiver exempt is helpful.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
This is so fukn stupid. Still have inept management after all these years, oldest team in the league. I just read an article that said any team can claim him and send them to their own farm team since he's now waiver exempt. Bye Raph, too bad we never got to know you.

"From NHL insider Elliotte Friedman:

Lavoie was waived by the Oilers earlier this week and then claimed by the Vegas Golden Knights. The Knights then waived Lavoie and he was reclaimed by the Oilers. Well, he’s back on waivers today and the Golden Knights have the opportunity to do the funniest thing of all time…

Interestingly enough, if the Golden Knights (or any other team, for that matter) are the only team to make a claim on Lavoie today then he’ll be waiver exempt and eligible for assignment to the AHL without needing to clear waivers."

MSN

Maybe Jackson is unaware of how waivers work. Assuredly Stan Bowman is aware, but he doesn’t have the “full autonomy” tag that Holland had

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the oilers should put a claim in for him

* i wont be around tomorrow so just getting ahead of it

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He may well never be an NHL player, but if there was ever an opportunity it to give him a shot and send a message to other players at the same time, it would be Saturday night. The extra couple days they gain on cap accrual are meaningless. Worst case he is awful and you waive him on Sunday.

The only problem I see with this is - who do you scratch? Although not perfect, I thought the bottom 6 as a whole wasn't much of a problem last night, and more or less did what they needed to. Both bottom 6 lines even produced a few solid chances.

The guys truly deserving a seat all occupy the Top 6, and they aren't going to give a rip if Lavoie comes in for Podkolzin, for example.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Emberson is a bottom pairing D playing top4. He's making league minimum so it easy to be okay with it. Nurse is on his way to becoming unserviceable. The guy is lucky he is McDavid's buddy otherwise he would have been shipped out long ago
I will bet you the rights to my HF account that if Nurse has a top 4 Dman on his pairing (like Barrie), he’d be good again

Reactions: The Nuge

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
here is the original thread were we talked about the trade

"Adding Kesselring is so dumb. That's what it cost for 450K retention? Sheesh, just dumb for an inconsequential rental. I hate it tbh but I'm a Kesselring guy."

Hated it then and even moreso now. Never understood why Kesselring was a throw in for a bottom 6 center rental. Holland just loved throwing away picks and prospects.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad