Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers waive Lavoie again

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Bob Stauffer says on Oilers Now that there are question marks coming out for the Oilers right side on defence
Lol it's been known all summer. Heck it's been known for the entire McDavid era

Great to hear. Send Brown down; sign Shattenkirk/Schultz.
What's funny is that getting either still makes a question mark on the right side.

Although yes I like the idea

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bob Stauffer says on Oilers Now that there are question marks coming out for the Oilers right side on defence
I think that Emberson would be a fine #3RD, I still don't think that it'd be advisable to go onto the season with him as our #2RD. Justin Schultz is still a guy that I'd consider even though many have said that he supposedly sucks now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is Barrie the guy that we need? Likely an upgrade on either of Brown or Stetcher but hopefully we are aiming our sights higher.
Yeh, I don't know what some here are/were hoping for. There is no top 4 RD available even if we put Savoie+Akey duo available. Fabbro isn't even much of an upgrade over Ceci if one.
Good luck getting Weeger out of CGY and into Edmonton.
even at deadline there wouldn't be much available because there is no quality pending UFA RD rental.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
no one should be excited about the "Coyote castoff crew" vying for top 6 playing time
this defense is woefully thin
It was thin last year too especially with Nurse not doing much. We were winning games because of defensive structure/coaching and not the players.

I am fine with giving this group a month.. really more worried about goaltending than defense.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It was thin last year too especially with Nurse not doing much. We were winning games because of defensive structure/coaching and not the players.

I am fine with giving this group a month.. really more worried about goaltending than defense.
we were far deeper on defense last year....Ceci, Desharnais, Broberg >> Emberson, Stetcher, Brown

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
we were far deeper on defense last year....Ceci, Desharnais, Broberg >> Emberson, Stetcher, Brown
From meh to meh.
The defense wasn't 'good' last year.. the system made it good.
Broberg aside from a couple games at the end was a downgrade on Stecher.

The money spent on J.Skinner or/and Arvidssson should've been used on D for sure (and to keep Holloway) but it was all part of the plan to make Drai stay in town.

I am sure we will add someone if the current group falters but this group should get a fair shake before declaring them garbage

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
From meh to meh.
The defense wasn't 'good' last year.. the system made it good.
Broberg aside from a couple games at the end was a downgrade on Stecher.

The money spent on J.Skinner or/and Arvidssson should've been used on D for sure (and to keep Holloway) but it was all part of the plan to make Drai stay in town.

I am sure we will add someone if the current group falters but this group should get a fair shake before declaring them garbage
They were far more established than the current group

Ceci- legit NHL defenseman, played too high here but a #5
Desharnais- huge bottom pairing guy, but good PKer and uses his massive size effectively
Broberg- great in the playoffs, great skater....tons of room to grow

Emberson- maybe he can be a top 4 d-man, maybe not....unknown but room to grow
Stetcher- small, injury prone, doesn't provide offense and too small to play large minutes...#7
J. Brown- physical #7 at best...advanced stats are horrendous

I see a ton of "maybes" on that D core

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Barrie would provide us some cover, no idea why we don't just sign him and run him with Nurse for the first month. The last time they played together was the last time Nurse looked like himself.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Broberg didn't play until the tail end of the playoffs.
Hell, Desharnais didn't even start the season here.

They went from Ceci and Desharnais to Emberson and Stecher/Brown.
Like I said in the other thread, we knew what we had in Ceci and Desharnais so in that sense there was more "known" with them but the upside was very limited and they were/are now in Vinny's case too expensive to keep on and fill out the roster.

Essentially it's Ceci+Desharnais vs. Emberson+Stecher/Brown+accrued cap space. I take the latter quite easily and I might even take the latter without the cap space. I was sick of seeing Ceci and Desharnais fumble pucks constantly and getting hemmed in their own zone because they're poor puck retrievers. It's a bit of a gamble in the short term but there's more potential with this new group. The Oilers are good enough to work out the kinks until the right side gets established.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Broberg didn't play until the tail end of the playoffs.
Hell, Desharnais didn't even start the season here.
Ya but he had the DEPTH to bring up Broberg in the playoffs and we didn't miss a beat...do we have that luxury this year?
no
They went from Ceci and Desharnais to Emberson and Stecher/Brown.
Like I said in the other thread, we knew what we had in Ceci and Desharnais so in that sense there was more "known" with them but the upside was very limited and they were/are now in Vinny's case too expensive to keep on and fill out the roster.

Essentially it's Ceci+Desharnais vs. Emberson+Stecher/Brown+accrued cap space. I take the latter quite easily and I might even take the latter without the cap space. I was sick of seeing Ceci and Desharnais fumble pucks constantly and getting hemmed in their own zone because they're poor puck retrievers. It's a bit of a gamble in the short term but there's more potential with this new group. The Oilers are good enough to work out the kinks until the right side gets established.
and who's to say this new group will be able to handle this? the unknown scares me
and the fact we are could be in a desperate position to fill a vital role should worry a lot of people

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ya but he had the DEPTH to bring up Broberg in the playoffs and we didn't miss a beat...do we have that luxury this year?
no

and who's to say this new group will be able to handle this? the unknown scares me
and the fact we are could be in a desperate position to fill a vital role should worry a lot of people
Sometimes you have to take risks to take the next step in the process. The Oilers potential was capped with Ceci and Desharnais and they wouldn't have had the ability to accrue cap space if they were here so that would have been their defense going into the playoffs unless they found a way to unload salary in season out of desperation so, yeah, it's a bit of a risk (I don't think it's the major risk some of you paint it to be since, after all, it's Ceci and Desharnais we're talking about) but I think it was a necessary risk in order for this team to grow.

The real loss this offseason was Broberg's long term potential but once his number reached $4.6m/yr, that took away from a good chunk of his value as a cheap upside asset.
Management did the best they could all things considered and now the team has flexibility to really add to the roster headed into a critical playoff run, flexibility they wouldn't have had by keeping the status quo.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Sometimes you have to take risks to take the next step in the process. The Oilers potential was capped with Ceci and Desharnais and they wouldn't have had the ability to accrue cap space if they were here so that would have been their defense going into the playoffs unless they found a way to unload salary in season out of desperation so, yeah, it's a bit of a risk (I don't think it's the major risk some of you paint it to be since, after all, it's Ceci and Desharnais we're talking about) but I think it was a necessary risk in order for this team to grow.

The real loss this offseason was Broberg's long term potential but once his number reached $4.6m/yr, that took away from a good chunk of his value as a cheap upside asset.
Management did the best they could all things considered.
who's playing top 4 defense beside Nurse?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad