Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Vegas Claims Raph Lavoie off Waivers, Everyone Else Cleared

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to say f*** Elon Musk. Twitter used to actually work and I'd be able to read these threads - in order. Now Twitter feeds aren't organized by time. They're a jumbled mess.

You need to change the order to Following. Its been like that for over a year already.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I believe if you click "following" up top instead of it being clicked on "For You", it will do it by time for everybody you follow
That would mean I'd need a subscription to said social media app. I never had to have a membership to access the info that's on it. It allowed me to avoid the cesspool.

Reactions: capazzo

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I believe if you click "following" up top instead of it being clicked on "For You", it will do it by time for everybody you follow
So technically, it still works like absolute garbage because insecure man child dipshit f***ed it up because people correctly made fun of him for being a dipshit.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to say f*** Elon Musk. Twitter used to actually work and I'd be able to read these threads - in order. Now Twitter feeds aren't organized by time. They're a jumbled mess.
You can look at getting something like the Nitter redirect extension for your browser if you want to skip all that stuff. Seems to bypass all the recommended and algorithm nonsense, and even allows you to dispense entirely with requiring having an account with the site in order to view things.

Reactions: belair

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Surprising nobody picked up Lavoie. Maybe he's overrated and overvalued.

Lavoie is not a waiver standout...
You're only taking him if you think he's going to make your team. Who's team is he going to make? There are actual proven NHL players on waivers.

Every year the same people panic.

We have possibly the worst prospect pool in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: joestevens29

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Which Cup Final are you talking about exactly?

The one they damn near won with Draisaitl totally cooked and unable to shoot basically, Kane not able to play, and McDavid's shot being also crippled all year long (64 goal scorer limited to just 32 goals)?

The one we almost won with what? 5 million of Campbell, 1.9 million in Neal dead cap, 5 million of Kane basically unusable?

That one? That one they came within a Evan Bouchard shot off the post of potentially winning in OT?

Skinner had below average save percentage in the playoffs and they still almost won.

The Oilers role players and their "role" as such is overstated. This isn't like the 2006 Oilers where legitimate 3rd liners like Pisani and Torres had large impacts in playoff rounds and Roloson was standing on his head keeping the team in stretches they were under siege, the 2024 Oilers had nothing really equivalent to that at all and still damn near won.

More or less we've transformed into a Cup contender because of 3 player additions (Hyman, Ekholm, and Bouchard) and 1 massive coaching upgrade (Knoblaugh/Coffey). The rest is honestly a bunch of gravy.
You said ‘McDavid and Draisaitl don’t need a whole lot’. That’s the idea I took exception to.

As if to make my point for me you go on to point out that injuries limited the ability of both guys to play to max. Not for the first time either I might add. I guess in fantasyland injuries like that don’t happen and the club doesn’t need players to pick up the slack. We probably won’t need to worry about that this season or next eh?

Then you go on to list three or four other guys like Bouchard, Hyman and Ekholm. Two of those guys were among the highest scoring players at their positions. Is that how you define ‘not a whole lot’? I also notice that while dismissing the ‘role players’ you neglected to mention that those guys were largely responsible for killing an unheard of 23 penalties in a row. Again, is that what ‘not a whole lot’ looks like in your world?

Next you talk about wasted cap space to the tune of $10 million plus. Exactly what we’ve all been bitching about for the last five seasons and exactly what this club cannot afford because McDavid and Draisaitl aren’t even close to enough to get the job done. They need support players for all the reasons mentioned above. Calling that ‘a bunch of gravy’ suggests that you haven’t been paying attention at all.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That would mean I'd need a subscription to said social media app. I never had to have a membership to access the info that's on it. It allowed me to avoid the cesspool.
I partly share your frustration because I also don’t subscribe to X. On the other hand, why should you be entitled to access without signing up? Lots of other social media (facebook, instagram) is the same way. And even more content is going behind paywalls every day. If you really want access, sign up. Seems simple.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You said ‘McDavid and Draisaitl don’t need a whole lot’. That’s the idea I took exception to.

As if to make my point for me you go on to point out that injuries limited the ability of both guys to play to max. Not for the first time either I might add. I guess in fantasyland injuries like that don’t happen and the club doesn’t need players to pick up the slack. We probably won’t need to worry about that this season or next eh?

Then you go on to list three or four other guys like Bouchard, Hyman and Ekholm. Two of those guys were among the highest scoring players at their positions. Is that how you define ‘not a whole lot’? I also notice that while dismissing the ‘role players’ you neglected to mention that those guys were largely responsible for killing an unheard of 23 penalties in a row. Again, is that what ‘not a whole lot’ looks like in your world?

Next you talk about wasted cap space to the tune of $10 million plus. Exactly what we’ve all been bitching about for the last five seasons and exactly what this club cannot afford because McDavid and Draisaitl aren’t even close to enough to get the job done. They need support players for all the reasons mentioned above. Calling that ‘a bunch of gravy’ suggests that you haven’t been paying attention at all.

I mean the point remains ... they basically damn near won a Cup with a wishy washy bottom 6 (lets be honest), below average goaltending, basically really only one reliable 5-on-5 top 6 winger (Hyman), Cody Ceci in the top 4, and some random rookie (Broberg) who wasn't good enough to even make the Oilers out of camp with like 25 real NHL games experience, and Desharnais is what ... some dude who was a career AHL player at age 26.

Really all they've needed to become a legit Cup contender was Hyman + Ekholm added to what they already had (development of Bouchard) and then the real key ingredient last year was Knoblough/Coffey (actual structured coaching with adjustment making). The Knoblaugh add took us from a 2nd/3rd round type of team to a legit Cup contender even with the Cody Cecis of the world being asked to play big time minutes.

The team is more like a kid who grows in huge singular growth spurts rather than something that's gradually building because we're making all these shrewd little moves and little steals of draft picks.

It's basically really just the natural evolution of McDavid + Draisaitl + 3 or 4 other ingredients added to the max that has elevated us.

Now sure you can argue we *should* be this that and the other, but the fact is we haven't been and we damn near won a Cup anyway, we've won more playoff rounds I believe than any team in the last 3 years. All that shows to me is you give McDavid/Drai even a little help and all of the sudden opponents are in deep, deep trouble.

Hyman levelled us up, then Ekholm levelled us up another notch, then Knoblaugh/Coffey basically took us to another level. That's basically all the net improvement to the team, three large bursts in total, other than McDavid/Draisaitl/Bouchard having natural development in their games.

If we can get anything from Arvidsson, or any freaking growth from Stuart Skinner (time to put on your big boy pants, you're not an NHL toddler anymore) that will move the needle just on its own.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I partly share your frustration because I also don’t subscribe to X. On the other hand, why should you be entitled to access without signing up? Lots of other social media (facebook, instagram) is the same way. And even more content is going behind paywalls every day. If you really want access, sign up. Seems simple.
Because Twitter has been a valuable source of information for many years prior to Musk purchasing it for his own political interests. Hockey specifically, Twitter was a great tool.

I don't use Facebook or it's related apps either. That is a horrible company that freely allows scammers to defraud the elderly and cognitively impaired. Tiktok as well.

Having had a family member fall victim, I've had to deal with these companies first hand. In depth I've seen how these different scams work, I've seen who bites on them and I've seen how the companies respond when those accounts get flagged.

I understand the concept of pay to read. I pay for the Athletic. I just don't see any of those social media apps as safe spaces. I don't trust any of them to protect my personal information or do I think they're looking out for my best interests.

Twitter was better before Elon owned it.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You can look at getting something like the Nitter redirect extension for your browser if you want to skip all that stuff. Seems to bypass all the recommended and algorithm nonsense, and even allows you to dispense entirely with requiring having an account with the site in order to view things.
Thanks. I'll have to check that out.

Reactions: Tarus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Surprising nobody picked up Lavoie. Maybe he's overrated and overvalued.

He isn't a proven NHL yet. Has some tools sure, but every team has a guy or two like that in their system. They'd rather just ride it out with their own guys than go after someone elses.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hope we abuse the shit out of Kane's LTIR (using their own tactics against them) to beat Vegas' Marchessault-less asses in the playoffs. Bring them on.

No more freebie goals due to Woodcroft's garbage defensive system this time around to bail you out of game 5 and 6 deficits.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad