Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers to sign Dermott, assign Philp, waive J. Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue to minors.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still hope that we trade him for a LD prospect with some draft pedigree. We could really use a boost on the farm this year and it would be nice to have somebody trying to push their way onto the roster.

I just don't see the fit for Lavoie here long-term.
How so? It's an old roster, two of their top 6 forwards (older guys also) are signed short term and the pipeline is pretty barren. How is Lavoie not a long term fit? I don't know if he's a future NHLer but there's certainly room for a big young forward who has proven scoring ability at the pro level.
This organization continues to not prioritize development, it's disappointing.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
By signing Brown to a 3 year deal that can be fully buried in the minors we stopped the possibility that he is claimed when waived. It’s smart to do it this way as it allows us to have a vet in the AHL.
Been saying that since he was signed. I was being facetious. Both Brown and Stetcher were pre-purchasing trade deadline depth without blowing draft or trade collateral. Adding term to both are clear poison pills to mitigate waiver wire interest. I always expected Brown to shuttle between Edmonton and Bakersfield.

So much angst and outrage over a training camp organizational depth guy who they were auditioning throughout pre-season to see where he slots in.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'd rather Lavoie.
The Oilers lavoie Perry obviously.

How so? It's an old roster, two of their top 6 forwards (older guys also) are signed short term and the pipeline is pretty barren. How is Lavoie not a long term fit? I don't know if he's a future NHLer but there's certainly room for a big young forward who has proven scoring ability to the pro level.
Lavoie looks like Marc-Antoine Pouliot.

• Haha
Reactions: Senor Catface

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How so? It's an old roster, two of their top 6 forwards (older guys also) are signed short term and the pipeline is pretty barren. How is Lavoie not a long term fit? I don't know if he's a future NHLer but there's certainly room for a big young forward who has proven scoring ability to the pro level.
Agree, there will be room for guys like Savoie , Philps and Lavoie once vets like JSKINNER, Perry and Ryan move on

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I respect that they sent Brown down. That sends a message that if you aren't ready to hit the ground running then gtfo. The problem is that whoever vouched for him needs to get their hand slapped.
i think we all wanted it, and weren't sure if we were gonna get it. His play in the preseason most definitely warranted it. But, even though it's 100 % off the cap in the minors, it still looks bad on management and every person who supported the 3 year signing. Very happy it happened, that signing was questioned on the day it was signed, it looks even worse now.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pelletier seems like a guy who would have been in Europe two years ago if he wasn't a former 1st rounder.

You don't see too many 5'9'' 170lbs 4th liners in the NHL.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
i think we all wanted it, and weren't sure if we were gonna get it. His play in the preseason most definitely warranted it. But, even though it's 100 % off the cap in the minors, it still looks bad on management and every person who supported the 3 year signing. Very happy it happened, that signing was questioned on the day it was signed, it looks even worse now.
It's less than a month into his career here. It doesn't look good but seeing as it's a buryable deal it doesn't hurt us.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Surprised Dermott made it just because he seems to be a Stetcher clone. That said the team is valuing puck movement over size and physicality that can’t move a puck. A good thing when you have the 2 Ferraris up front driving the offence.

I think it's more to do with having a guy they believe is an NHL dman on the roster. Josh Brown does not look like an NHL dI man, and even though Stetcher and Dermott have similar skill sets and statures, at least they both look like they can play. Also, I'm sure the Oilers are hoping Emberson is a good fit with Nurse, therefore making the obvious rotattion/swap being Stetcher in/out for Dermott. The Condors have Kemp, Gleason, Dineen, Wanner, and now Brown. Those 5 have their own skillsets and limitations, Dermott is the safest bet at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad