Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Oilers to sign Dermott, assign Philp, waive J. Brown, Caggiula, Lavoie, Rodrigue to minors.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
He’s at practice today so I assume he will be signed shortly.
because he hasn't been released yet, which means hes still technically part of the team. He hasn't "Made" it though. He could get released at any time. Perhaps he's being kept around until guys clear waivers. Just as likely as him making the team.

I think Dermot has done enough to make the team though, so I won't be surprised if he does sign. I also won't be upset if he doesn't sign.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They will get hurt soon enough
But remember last season. The team was worse until close to the trade deadline than the previous playoffs. Lost Kostin, lost Bjugstad. Struggled at the start of the season. They will probably not be as good as in the playoffs in the regular season. Will bring a couple of solid players at the deadline.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What’s funny is Perry looked completely cooked in the playoffs, we resigned him and are now risking losing guys on waivers just to keep him. It’s unfortunate. McDavid must love the guy.
If he looks cooked in the regular season then something needs to happen. Banking him to be an everyday player and an effective one at that is asking a lot.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
because he hasn't been released yet, which means hes still technically part of the team. He hasn't "Made" it though. He could get released at any time. Perhaps he's being kept around until guys clear waivers. Just as likely as him making the team.

I think Dermot has done enough to make the team though, so I won't be surprised if he does sign. I also won't be upset if he doesn't sign.

Technically that is correct but I doubt he would be practicing today and be released later.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think logically it's best to "wait-and-see" with regards to the team D.

Emberson had decent numbers on the PK last season with the Sharks as well.

XGA/60 was 6.04... playing an avg of 1:06 on the penalty kill per game. That was the best XGA/60 on the PK for any dman on the Sharks by a very wide margin.

Other dmen (who played any significant PK time per game) were at these levels :

So at the very least the Oilers may have added a body that can help on the PK... and with Ceci and Desharnais gone... that's needed.

By the way... Desharnais had an XGA/60 on the PK of 5.97 and Ceci had a XGA/60 on the PK of 8.03.... and that obviously was on a much better team than the Sharks as the Sharks had the 5th worst PK in the NHL.

All we really need from Emberson is to be reliable on the ice defensively... as the other 4 players on the ice for the Oilers can contribute offensively... including Nurse who may get a little extra boost on offense when he has a more solid D partner.

It's a smallish 30 game sample... but as others have said... being pretty solid defensively in a 30 game sample is better than being bad defensively in a 30 game sample.

Stecher also looked solid in the few actual NHL games with the Oilers last season... 2.09 XGA/60 and 1.10 GA/60 at 5 on 5 which is of course exceptional... yes a 7 game sample... but again better to look good than awful.

Let's wait and see what the defense actually performs like before deciding to do something drastic.

I actually have more concerns with the offense... going to take some time for the 2nd line to gel imo. Maybe some experimenting to see if Skinner plays better with McDavid but I dunno if Skinner will mesh well with a speed-demon like McDavid... again we'll have to wait and see.
You keep going on about concerns about offence which is overwhelmingly this team's competitive advantage which they further added to this off-season with two NHL proven top six players. Last year the Oilers were 99 percentile for shots on goal; 90 percentile for goals scored; 71 percentile for shooting percentage. They scored 40 more goals than NHL average.

It is this overwhelming ice-tilt in offensive production and their elite zone time play driven by their elite forward group (93 percentile offensive zone; 90 percentile defensive zone) that enables them to take a risk on three unproven or journeyman #6,7,8 on their right-side defense. Barring injury the clear need is going to be 2RD upgrade that pushes everyone down to more realistic, manageable competition levels for an elite team.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That’s been their stated plan since day 1 pretty much once they didn’t LTIR Kane for keeping Holloway. They want to accrue as much as possible for the TDL
And we also want Kane mid season and not game 1 of playoffs it seems. I'm fine with it especially since I don't see us whale hunting.

The team just really, really needs to succeed in getting that #4 RD with that accrued space

Reactions: Faelko

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Why waive Lavoie? That is a very stupid move.
Because they have old man Perry

Good for Brown, he sucks.
Sad for Philp, thought he earned a spot. Hope nobody claims Lavoie.
I don’t mind Philp going down. Have home play 20mins a game and call him up in Jan. He too, a year off, so more ice time the better he will be

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's funny how wrong often the Oilers media members are. Bootlickers who often get all 'pissy' or defensive when they get called out for being wrong. Always starts with the weasel Spector, then Matheson, then Gregor, and the list goes on from there including Escott.
Literally, Josh Brown was analytically one of the worst D man last season alone, and even the charts show that he's such a piss poor dman. But but but the media members say he's big and has grit! I personally don't care how big or how gritty he is when his stickhandling, passing, and defensive IQ is massively mediocre. He's never going to be the next Vinny Desharnais here.

Somebody on twitter basically said any time Brown's on the ice, opponents advanced stats offensively would rival McDavid. Oilers cannot afford to go on another slow start like last season either. Bury him in the AHL and only call him up when it's a game where there's potential facepunching involved.
The real question is how does Jackson's information based decision making organization make Josh Brown a day 1 free agent signing. And one with term. Personally I think it was also clear to foster NHL organization depth with poison pill term to move this guy between Edmonton and Bakersfield.

Frankly who cares about media, especially non-hockey playing ones who never elevated beyond midget hockey, trying to squint and make sense of this organization's peculiar priority signing. How did Jackson, his scouts and imbedded analytics group arrive at this decision? Ultimately he doesn't cost cap space when farmed out and that's the ultimate consideration for a cap stretched window team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They’re probably going to recall Philp pretty quickly. It might just be a paper transaction to keep their options open before the season starts.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if Dermott hasn't been signed because we are keeping tabs on the waiver wire the next few days?

Interesting thought. Maybe a team will wait until teams have set their rosters before sneaking someone interesting down. Plus we are talking about a #7 so there's no practical reason to hurry

Maybe it applies to Philp as well. We like him but there might be options opening there too

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The real question is how does Jackson's information based decision making organization make Josh Brown a day 1 free agent signing. And one with term. Personally I think it was also clear to foster NHL organization depth with poison pill term to move this guy between Edmonton and Bakersfield.

Frankly who cares about media, especially non-hockey playing ones who never elevated beyond midget hockey, trying to squint and make sense of this organization's peculiar priority signing. How did Jackson, his scouts and imbedded analytics group arrive at this decision? Ultimately he doesn't cost cap space when farmed out and that's the ultimate consideration for a cap stretched window team.
By signing Brown to a 3 year deal that can be fully buried in the minors we stopped the possibility that he is claimed when waived. It’s smart to do it this way as it allows us to have a vet in the AHL.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If he looks cooked in the regular season then something needs to happen. Banking him to be an everyday player and an effective one at that is asking a lot.
He still has hands and can score, which more than can be said about many fourth liners. but I agree, if he's not in the PB after the TD, the Oilers have problems.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Also I think every Oilers management group since Sather would have kept Brown up in this scenario, so at least progress is being made on actually being a functional management group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad