Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Edmonton Reclaim Former Oiler Raphael Lavoie via Waivers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Thats way less deadline cap than we were planning. It screws us either way. Either we lose Lavoie or we lose cap at the deadline.
You don’t have to keep him all season. Nows the time to actually play him for ~5-10 games on that 4th line. Give him an honest 10 minutes a game. If he doesn’t cut it, waive him again and it’s no loss if he’s claimed. If he proves he should play in that spot, waive Perry.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
See normally I would agree with you but if you look at everything that has happened this past summer there seems to be some funny business going on with regards to the Oilers. Between offer sheets and waiver claims things look a little fishy to me.
The offer sheets were simple perfect storm.

Waivers who knows, maybe teams perked up once Lavoie was originally claimed by Vegas lol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You don’t have to keep him all season. Nows the time to actually play him for ~5-10 games on that 4th line. Give him an honest 10 minutes a game. If he doesn’t cut it, waive him again and it’s no loss if he’s claimed. If he proves he should play in that spot, waive Perry.
This is the most logical move imo. Especially since Perry has a 150k bonus at 15GP. I haven't fully written off Perry yet. I don't think he ever found the right fit on a line. He played with a bunch of speedy perimeter and speedy forechecking line mates who really struggled at playing a cycle game. He's slow, but if you can find him a line that's built around the cycle and puck protection he might still be a valuable player.

Oddly enough I think Philp and Derek Ryan are probably the two line mates who best match that style in the bottom 6.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I think I’d throw him on the 3rd line with Henrique, he wouldn’t have a chance with Ryan as his C. Scratch Perry and put Brown on the 4th.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
The Oilers were never going to hit the 4M accrued cap space projections.

Let’s say Lavoie was sent to Bakersfield today and everything was hunky dory. If even a single forward got injured down the road, we would need to call up a replacement, which would take away from how much cap space we would accrue. If multiple forwards get injured? Then we’re dipping into LTIR which stops any accrual.

Cap space by accrual isn’t going to get us much.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Let’s say Lavoie was sent to Bakersfield today and everything was hunky dory. If even a single forward got injured down the road, we would need to call up a replacement, which would take away from how much cap space we would accrue. If multiple forwards get injured? Then we’re dipping into LTIR which stops any accrual.

It's annoying that Vegas and some other troll team messed with our options, but do agree, running 12 forwards or 6 D was very likely not going to work for any extended period of time. We are back to a typical roster size now.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Agreed, but they still need to try and squeeze every dollar out of accrued cap space that they can before the inevitable injuries happen.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It's better than running with 6D.

Going with an 11-7 in a pinch is a lot easier with this roster.

I know accruing cap space is important for TDL. But I don’t think trying to play 20/21 man roster should be the goal or realistic. Especially for a team with old fourth liners, and several bottom pairing dman. We also had a short summer.

If they wanted to accrue space, JJ/Bowman needed to figure something else out to move out more cap space imo

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The offer sheets were simple perfect storm.

Waivers who knows, maybe teams perked up once Lavoie was originally claimed by Vegas lol
Both players were contributors last night in St. Louis but its a long 82 game season and the real results won't be available for awhile.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Imagine how much cap bulls it we could avoid if we just cheated our way out of contracts like other teams.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not as old as some guys here, but next March, I will officially be an adult longer than I have been a child. It's such a mindfuk. Luckily, I may have already gone through a midlife crisis, so hopefully another doesn't happen later in life.
If it makes you feel better, I’d have never guessed you were an adult.;)

Last edited:

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
The nucks just being their petty selves
Not much to cheer for
genai_m4_ncg_odn_v3_upload_img_91612032_10_09_2024_15_01_50_358219_4710881112325507569.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's annoying that Vegas and some other troll team messed with our options, but do agree, running 12 forwards or 6 D was very likely not going to work for any extended period of time. We are back to a typical roster size now.
The next CBA they need to change the rules that the salary cap for season/playoffs is based on 12F, 6D, 2G. Every team should be allowed to carry 3 reserve players in the regular season with whatever is league minimum not counting against the cap. Any dollar over that counts against the cap. Teams shouldn't have to play short because of cap mismanagement or saving to acrue cap space and risk players getting injured from being over worked.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
The next CBA they need to change the rules that the salary cap for season/playoffs is based on 12F, 6D, 2G. Every team should be allowed to carry 3 reserve players in the regular season with whatever is league minimum not counting against the cap. Any dollar over that counts against the cap. Teams shouldn't have to play short because of cap mismanagement or saving to acrue cap space and risk players getting injured from being over worked.
Have a feeling the NHLPA wouldn’t like this. Basically have 3 players up the whole year who don’t play ?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Have a feeling the NHLPA wouldn’t like this. Basically have 3 players up the whole year who don’t play ?
It guarantees 3 extra players per team are making league minimum and traveling with the big club. They'd get games in just like any other team today that carries a roster of 22 or 23 players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad