GDT: DIG IN! RIGHT NOW! Mantra of the 24-25 Season starts today! Oilers v Jets, 8 PM

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team be like 5-5 to start. Hopefully we come out stronger than that.
That would be bad but acceptable

Few things to remember, this is a well coached team, that has depth and unrivalled top end talent. Also a veteran laden team that understands that in the midst of long cup run seasons you need to pace yourself.

I certainly won’t panic if they don’t come out blowing the doors off early season, this team is a wagon and they are going to pick up steam as the season goes on. It may take a bit for the pieces to fall into place and for the machine to get up to speed with some changed out parts but I think it’s fair to have faith in a coaching staff that showed last year they could get more out of individuals and more out of the team.

It’s going to be an exciting season and I look forward to seeing how the team evolves over the course of the season.
I don't get the whole us having depth thing cause we really don't. We finally have 6 top 6 capable players and a 3c but our bottom 6 as a whole outside of Henrique are all 1 line too high and our defensive depth is...shaky with nothing really knocking on the door.
Now ideally the 4th line is Janmark - Philp - Brown and we find new wingers for Henrique but who knows.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't get the whole us having depth thing cause we really don't. We finally have 6 top 6 capable players and a 3c but our bottom 6 as a whole outside of Henrique are all 1 line too high and our defensive depth is...shaky with nothing really knocking on the door.
Now ideally the 4th line is Janmark - Philp - Brown and we find new wingers for Henrique but who knows.
I think it's a bit premature to say that about Janmark and Brown. They both had down seasons last year, but they had a promising playoffs and their track records in the 3-5 years prior to last season has both pegged as 3rd line players. When Kane is back it also bumps one of them down or it makes the Oilers re-think if they want to run more of a balanced top 9 by dropping Nuge down a line or two.

I think it's a decent bet to think that at least one of Janmark or Brown will be capable of producing like a 3rd line player, which both have done almost entirely throughout their career minus last year.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

When Kane is back this team has eight top 6 forwards. They’ve got young guys they can potentially throw in like Lavoie and Savoie and they’ve got a wild card in Podkilzin. Brown will be more third liner then 4th this season, especially if his 3C is a guy who is more top 6 then 3rd liner.

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson
Kane - Henrique - Pod/Savoie/Lavoie
Janmark - Ryan/Philp - Brown

What awful depth that is.

Reactions: Duke74

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wouldn’t it be nice if the Oilers had a season where there wasn’t some horrible portion where our entire season looked like it could be in jeopardy?

Here’s to a season where the team doesn’t have to play catchup at some point.
I love the days when we go on a 6 week losing streak around the CFR.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Brown has the capability of being a RW3 if his speed comes back. So far from the post season and the preseason looks like it has. But he has to follow it up with production and results.

I think Janmark is a 4 LW with little chance of moving up. But I think hes a perfect LW4. Him playing on the LW3 isn’t the worst thing in the world if Henrique/Brown produce.

I still think theres a chance of Podkolzin being a LW3 but I think it’s unlikely. I don’t think theres any chance of Ryan/Perry moving up beyond a fourth liners roll.

Obviously Kane will come back at some point and will likely be on the third line (with rotations in the top 6) or traded when his nmc expires.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think it's a bit premature to say that about Janmark and Brown. They both had down seasons last year, but they had a promising playoffs and their track records in the 3-5 years prior to last season has both pegged as 3rd line players. When Kane is back it also bumps one of them down or it makes the Oilers re-think if they want to run more of a balanced top 9 by dropping Nuge down a line or two.

I think it's a decent bet to think that at least one of Janmark or Brown will be capable of producing like a 3rd line player, which both have done almost entirely throughout their career minus last year.

In addition to the obvious hole on 4RD, I think the other target will be speedy 3rd line right wing that can score a bit here and there. Think a Foegele conceptually, but not Foegele.

Kane - Henrique - XXX
Janamark - Philp (assuming he's good) - Brown

That's a very, very good bottom 6.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Dig the f*** in starting NOW!

Love it.

We should aim to have home town advantage in true playoffs this year. Cup or bust still on the line. This will be our last year of Cheap Draisaitl. Gotta get it done.

Off season sucked.

Is there a promo going around? I got it for cheap last year. I think it’s worth it.

Promo code is OPENER24 to get the year for 19.99 before tax.

still on the fence if I should get it or not.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
In addition to the obvious hole on 4RD, I think the other target will be speedy 3rd line right wing that can score a bit here and there. Think a Foegele conceptually, but not Foegele.

Kane - Henrique - XXX
Janamark - Philp (assuming he's good) - Brown

That's a very, very good bottom 6.
Maybe have Janmark play 4RW, Brown 3RW and Podkolzin 4LW.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When Kane is back this team has eight top 6 forwards. They’ve got young guys they can potentially throw in like Lavoie and Savoie and they’ve got a wild card in Podkilzin. Brown will be more third liner then 4th this season, especially if his 3C is a guy who is more top 6 then 3rd liner.

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson

I've mentioned this before on here, but this is the reality of the Oilers bottom 6 if we consider the current top 6 set in stone.

Evander Kane when he last played a full season+playoffs healthy scored 37G and 56P in 58GP (52G, 79P/82GP pace). He followed that up with a season+playoffs of 19G 33P in 53GP (29G, 51P/82GP pace) after going through a serious tendon laceration. He then followed that up with a mostly injured season+playoffs still producing 28G and 52P in 97GP (24G 44P/82GP pace). A healthy Evander Kane is a 25 goal scorer playing on your 3rd line.

Adam Henrique just came off a 10G 16P in 39 games stretch in Edmonton on a new team playing mostly 3rd line. He's scored at a 40-50P pace in every season since his rookie year.

Connor Brown, while coming off a tough year after ACL surgery and joining a new team has a track record of being a 30-40P player who consistently scores 10-20 goals per year. There is reason to believe this player will reemerge given that in his last 36 games (season and playoffs) after scoring his first goal of the season he was able to put together 6 goals and 13 points (14G, 30P pace/82GP).

Janmark is another player that people are writing off despite a lot of data that shows last year as an anomaly for him offensively. His previous two seasons (one in Vegas, and one in Edmonton) were almost identical offensive production. 11G 31P/ 82GP pace and 12G 31P/82GP pace.

This bottom 6 has a lot more potential than they are given credit for.

Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Skinner - McD - Hyman
RNH - Drai - Arvidsson

When Kane is back. He isn’t yet and he is going to be missing a ton of time.
Podkolzin and Skinner are wild cards for sure.
Brown will be a third liner? Maybe.
People are massively overrating Brown and Janmark based on their playoffs.
Could they be 3rd liners? Maybe.
That current 4th line is absolutely awful though. That’s a rebuilding team level 4th line.
I just hope the team stops forcing Corey Perry, he is absolutely cooked lol.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've mentioned this before on here, but this is the reality of the Oilers bottom 6 if we consider the current top 6 set in stone.

Evander Kane when he last played a full season+playoffs healthy scored 37G and 56P in 58GP (52G, 79P/82GP pace). He followed that up with a season+playoffs of 19G 33P in 53GP (29G, 51P/82GP pace) after going through a serious tendon laceration. He then followed that up with a mostly injured season+playoffs still producing 28G and 52P in 97GP (24G 44P/82GP pace). A healthy Evander Kane is a 25 goal scorer playing on your 3rd line.

Adam Henrique just came off a 10G 16P in 39 games stretch in Edmonton on a new team playing mostly 3rd line. He's scored at a 40-50P pace in every season since his rookie year.

Connor Brown, while coming off a tough year after ACL surgery and joining a new team has a track record of being a 30-40P player who consistently scores 10-20 goals per year. There is reason to believe this player will reemerge given that in his last 36 games (season and playoffs) after scoring his first goal of the season he was able to put together 6 goals and 13 points (14G, 30P pace/82GP).

Janmark is another player that people are writing off despite a lot of data that shows last year as an anomaly for him offensively. His previous two seasons (one in Vegas, and one in Edmonton) were almost identical offensive production. 11G 31P/ 82GP pace and 12G 31P/82GP pace.

This bottom 6 has a lot more potential than they are given credit for.
Henrique isn’t going to get the PP and top 6 minutes he got for his whole career. Which is fine but he is going to be a 30-35 ish point player here. Janmark isn’t the player he once was. He is 31 and his offensive game has heavily fallen off. It happens.

The 4th line is horrible though and I don’t see them getting rid of Perry.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Henrique isn’t going to get the PP and top 6 minutes he got for his whole career. Which is fine but he is going to be a 30-35 ish point player here. Janmark isn’t the player he once was. He is 31 and his offensive game has heavily fallen off. It happens.

The 4th line is horrible though and I don’t see them getting rid of Perry.
Still scored at 20 goal pace in Edmonton. I expect the 2nd PP unit to get a lot more time than they did last season as evidenced by pre-season.

There's also not much to indicate his offensive game falling off outside of usage. His career average is 48P/82GP and he just put up 51 points last year. His best season is a 59 point pace and his career high in points is 51 which he just matched.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That current 4th line is absolutely awful though. That’s a rebuilding team level 4th line.
Don't know that Brown and Janmark are being overrated based on their playoffs. There's hope that 1 year out of 7/8 seasons for both players is an anomaly and that they will return to their typical production.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Wife and I were going tonight until she just informed me that my 17 daughter wants to go with her dad....never a bad thing!!

With our first 3 games in 5 nights, boys should be in it right away. 6 of our first 10 at home and to be honest...somewhat "easy-ish" first 10. (Calgary, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus and Phi). I'd be pretty disappointed with anything less than a 6-4 record to start.

LFG!!!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Still scored at 20 goal pace in Edmonton. I expect the 2nd PP unit to get a lot more time than they did last season as evidenced by pre-season.
He scored in a 20 goal pace playing top 6 minutes with Draisaitl.

Don't know that Brown and Janmark are being overrated based on their playoffs. There's hope that 1 year out of 7/8 seasons for both players is an anomaly and that they will return to their typical production.
That’s fair but they are 30/31 years old, that’s not usually when you bounce back. I’d say they are as likely to bounce back as not. Their d game is still strong but I don’t think they have the hands anymore.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
I think the Oilers roll right throught everyone straight to the finals this year. Similar to the 92 Penguins. Relentless season. 16-6 through the playoffs. Sheer dominance. Skinner Vezina. Bouchard gets 100. We go streaking again. Cup comes home. McDavid wins his second CS. Overly optimistic?....maybe.....I think they learned a lot last year. Cant wait to get going.

• Love
Reactions: CycloneSweep

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
It's game day... Woohoo!

There should be no banner raising ceremony at all. I don't think the Oilers did that period in 06-07.
I just assumed that they weren't going to do a banner raising or anything at all. Are they planning to do something? I hope not.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He scored in a 20 goal pace playing top 6 minutes with Draisaitl.

That’s fair but they are 30/31 years old, that’s not usually when you bounce back. I’d say they are as likely to bounce back as not. Their d game is still strong but I don’t think they have the hands anymore.
Don't think that's correct. Only 2 of his 6 5v5 goals here came with Draisaitl in the regular season and he produced at a 20+ goal pace in Anaheim. That being said, bottom 6 players get shuffled into top 6 spots on every team in the league so you can't just fully discount their production in those situations. By those same metrics McLeod and Foegele were essentially single digit goal scoring, 20P players last year when you take out their top 6 minutes.

If this was a multiple year thing with Brown and Janmark I'd agree, but one off year is rarely indicative that a player has fallen off a cliff, especially with the playoffs they just had. The 2nd year after an ACL surgery is exactly when you can expect an uptick in performance in the case of Brown. There are very few incidents of athletes performing well in their first year post-ACL reconstruction.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yup a guy who’s spent a career scoring 20/30 goals a year on teams that don’t have a mcdavid or Draisaitl is a wild card. Like always you’re just assuming the worse case on absolutely everything.

For a guy who eats so much crow it could be considered animal cruelty, you sure don’t ever learn your lesson.

Reactions: North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad