Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Looks like we’ll have 4.4M to spend at the TDL. Any good RHD on expiring contracts this year?

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I believe Broberg was deliberately neutered to play a more conservative play style and to be more of a DFD. That, coupled with his sporatic deployment, have led to his development being stifled as a result.

Broberg has, not a single time, shown the elite skating rushes that he did prior to being drafted. I think Woody/Manson neutered him on purpose, and he had most of his dynamic play coached out of him to play a safe bottom pairing role. The guy that was supposed to be a puck carrying dynamo and the best skater in the draft now suddently is supposed to play like a third line plug and completely change his style of play. You could just feel how brainwashed he was in his early games with the team; at least that's my interpretation given he looked so scared to actually do anything dynamic, like he was being told not to, because we have fwds that can do it. I don't think people realize the effect that having mcdavid does on a team's makeup and how they decide to deploy complimentary pieces. It's get the puck to the fwds as fast as possible and don't do anything stupid or you are going to bakersfield. When, in reality, elite offense is driven from the back-end.

I don't disagree that he's gotten some chances and hasn't looked the best until recently, but I feel like they were skewed becaues of the above, which all contributes to why he wanted tf out. And now that he's finally ascending, he would have to start his full-time nhl career on his off side, to boot, if he signed that cheap deal for us.

So I think yeah, he partially didn't do enough with his chances, but also a lot of those chances were a result of his development being de-prioritized to fit into a bottom pairing role.

I hope these serve as a lesson learned to all involved but especially this new front office and how we approach player development

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I'd argue that is not the case. He excelled when playing a more offensive based deployment with other offensive players. When put in a defensive deployment he has sucked with whomever he has played with.

Edmonton needs to stop using him as a defensive stopper. Puck movers do not help with the puck in the back of the net all the time .....
His best season he was paired with Barrie and put up close to 40 points playing 26 minutes a night. He was also 7th on Norris votes. This was also his most productive goal scoring year. His first bridge deal he showed major potential playing with green jacket Schultz. He needs a puck mover the proof is glaring. As soon as we give him a shutdown partner he craters. Larrson Ceci are perfect examples of this.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
you do know who his employer is, don't you?
Yup. Still its hilarious how the guy does a 180

His best season he was paired with Barrie and put up close to 40 points playing 26 minutes a night. He was also 7th on Norris votes. This was also his most productive goal scoring year. His first bridge deal he showed major potential playing with green jacket Schultz. He needs a puck mover the proof is glaring. As soon as we give him a shutdown partner he craters. Larrson Ceci are perfect examples of this.
Agreed. I know a lot of people don't like Nurse on here but, points wise, he does so very good every year. He needs someone stable with or a puck mover

Reactions: WaitingForUser

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Looks like we’ll have 4.4M to spend at the TDL. Any good RHD on expiring contracts this year?

Larsson if he’d come back since it’s been a while since his dad passed. Otherwise you’re looking at someone playing their offside like Chychrun/Provorov, or someone with term like Andersson/Murphy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Larsson if he’d come back since it’s been a while since his dad passed. Otherwise you’re looking at someone playing their offside like Chychrun/Provorov, or someone with term like Andersson/Murphy
Hm that’s it eh. Slim pickings for RHD like most years. I’d take Lars back all day long though if he’s game.

Reactions: ujju2

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Yes, the year he got a career high offensive start ratio. His second highest PP time/game in his career.

Exactly as I said, its when he is not deployed as a shutdown D is when he excels. It co-incides when he is with a better puck mover, i.e. an offensive D man. Its correlation, not causation.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, the year he got a career high offensive start ratio. His second highest PP time/game in his career.

Exactly as I said, its when he is not deployed as a shutdown D is when he excels. It co-incides when he is with a better puck mover, i.e. an offensive D man. Its correlation, not causation.
For better or worse Nurse mimics the partner he is deployed with. With Larrson and VD he played a shutdown game which as you said does not suit his skill set . With Barrie and Schultz it was a puck moving or at least puck skating game. I think the reason for this is to try and compliment his partner more so than anything else. Nurse saw very little PP time once Barrie arrived though so I don’t get that statement at all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd argue that is not the case. He excelled when playing a more offensive based deployment with other offensive players. When put in a defensive deployment he has sucked with whomever he has played with.

Edmonton needs to stop using him as a defensive stopper. Puck movers do not help with the puck in the back of the net all the time .....
Nurse is far from a puck mover, he is a puck carrier/transporter. Not sure if anyone keeps tabs on how many times players ice the puck but Nurse has to be our team leader or close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad