Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You trqde Ceci and Kane goes on LTIR ans who knows what haopens during the season of Kane comes back. Could be another injury etc. Deal with thatbin january if needed
Sure but if Kane is supposedly committed to oilers and everything is saying months but none have said full season and one said maybe till the deadline for LTIR.

Since we cannot accrue cap for the deadline if he is on LTIR before the season (to my knowledge) the. We legit if he comes back may have to trade 2 of kulak skinner or henrique. I guess you could ask nuge to waive to fit if kane refuses.

You are banking on an injury but realistically to get this done and keep Broberg we are destroying what makes us so formidable in 3 ridiculously good lines and have to play a rookie who had a good series vs Dallas and okay versus Florida and stecher on our second and third pair. I get people want to keep him and I like the player but what decision makes us more likely to win a cup.

Can’t be emotional about it as it is cup or bust and Broberg is no longer a cheap cog if he doesn’t live up to that contract on the right side and we run a dog shit third pair we are in a world of hurt.

Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We'll they very well might be more useless Ken Holland picks.

One pick was given to Nashville so it won't be his pick. The other I have no idea how he is doing but he may very well be useless as well given Tyler Wright was high on the kid. Between Chiarelli and Holland our drafting has sucked, which fits right in with how the Oilers have drafted for about 40 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One pick was given to Nashville so it won't be his pick. The other I have no idea how he is doing but he may very well be useless as well given Tyler Wright was high on the kid. Between Chiarelli and Holland our drafting has sucked, which fits right in with how the Oilers have drafted for about 40 years.

People get up in arms about but the best Oilers era of drafting post 1985 was like the Kevin Lowe days.

Hemsky, Stoll, Dubnyk, Petry, Cogliano was a decent haul of players considered none of those are top 10 picks, though they did blow a few 1st round picks.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I'd say it's not bad. Robert Thomas late 1st round (86 pt player). Kyrou (67 pt player) 2nd round. Neighbours late 1st round (27 goal player). Bushnevich, Schenn trades. Tage Thompson, Vince Dunn. They peaked with a Cup win and retooling around some pretty good young forwards. Built up solid prospect pool without going down to the wood in a full rebuild. Losing an end of roster waiver eligible exchange trade with Kostin is hardly defining.

They were a 40+ win team for just about a decade. So doing something right. Mid league consideration in at least one prospect ranking (notably missing a quality young defense prospect) : Ranking every NHL team's prospect pipeline: Why the Sabres are No. 1

For the record I can't stand the Blues but I can still see where they've done some solid work with drafting and some of their trades.

They’re a fine team on paper but have been exposed as frauds since that miracle Cup. The upstart premature Canucks put them to bed the year later early in the playoffs (yes yes the bubble). They haven’t been much of anything since. I’m sure they’ll get past the bubble soon but I don’t see this as some sort of master stroke. He had the balls to overpay for unproven but reasonable bet potential, which is something.

Overrated GM IMO

Like I’ve already posted, even if the Oilers had 10M in cap space, this wouldn’t be an automatic match. That tells you that it’s not only a cap space issue, it’s a contract structure issue.

The Blues will likely regret both of these contracts.

Yup, I feel this is an incredibly risky piece of business and again, a big part of why we never see offer sheets in the cap world

Reactions: Cloned

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
They’re a fine team on paper but have been exposed as frauds since that miracle Cup. The upstart premature Canucks put them to bed the year later early in the playoffs (yes yes the bubble). They haven’t been much of anything since. I’m sure they’ll get past the bubble soon but I don’t see this as some sort of master stroke. He had the balls to overpay for unproven but reasonable bet potential, which is something.

Overrated GM IMO

Yup, I feel this is an incredibly risky piece of business and again, a big part of why we never see offer sheets in the cap world

To me its as simple as not having anything close currently to peak O'Reilly, Tarasenko and Pietrangelo. I don't think they were frauds, they just had a much better team.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Overrated GM IMO

Like I wrote I can't stand the Blues. But as I outlined they've found solid success drafting late 1st round and have made some good trades. Their amateur scout was hired to build up a moribund Arizona Coyotes team stocking them with talent and now with a real owner will be able to do more.

There's been 9 Cup winners the past decade and the Blues are one of them. Not every team is build for sustained runs at Cups but they rolled a decade of 40 wins before a season of early epic injuries finally bottomed them out. They've brushed off in a retool. Now they're betting low cost on NHL talent that's been badly handled in their development. Apparently they've liked both players for a while. Suggested by their draft and development they've had decent success in identifying talent. Qualified gamble.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
To me its as simple as not having anything close currently to peak O'Reilly, Tarasenko and Pietrangelo. I don't think they were frauds, they just had a much better team.

They still had all three of them when they got embarrassed by the Canucks. Binnington was VERY good the previous season, and not as much in the bubble. I think that was a big part of it. I actually had a bit of a soft spot for the Blues (not so much this past week) and was rooting for them the year they won. But I also don’t think it’s a stretch to assert they are one of the “unlikeliest” winners since the Canes won theirs (spits)

Like I wrote I can't stand the Blues. But as I outlined they've found solid success drafting late 1st round and have made some good trades. Their amateur scout was hired to build up a moribund Arizona Coyotes team stocking them with talent and now with a real owner will be able to do more.

There's been 9 Cup winners the past decade and the Blues are one of them. Not every team is build for sustained runs at Cups but they rolled a decade of 40 wins before a season of early epic injuries finally bottomed them out. They've brushed off in a retool. Now they're betting low cost on NHL talent that's been badly handled in their development. Apparently they've liked both players for a while. Suggested by their draft and development they've had decent success in identifying talent. Qualified gamble.

See above post. I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree with the direction they’ve gone since the miracle Cup. They were a decent playoff team before, I’ll agree with that. But haven’t been much in the way of result since, even if decent on paper.

I feel that Berube had a bit of a Trotz-lite effect on the team and between getting the stars going the right direction and some brilliance from Binnington, they got it done. Armstrong is having a decent time on paper but is getting quite a bit too much credit here, IMO.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
They still had all three of them when they got embarrassed by the Canucks. Binnington was VERY good the previous season, and not as much in the bubble. I think that was a big part of it. I actually had a bit of a soft spot for the Blues (not so much this past week) and was rooting for them the year they won. But I also don’t think it’s a stretch to assert they are one of the “unlikeliest” winners since the Canes won theirs (spits)

See above post. I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree with the direction they’ve gone since the miracle Cup. They were a decent playoff team before, I’ll agree with that. But haven’t been much in the way of result since, even if decent on paper.

I feel that Berube had a bit of a Trotz-lite effect on the team and between getting the stars going the right direction and some brilliance from Binnington, they got it done. Armstrong is having a decent time on paper but is getting quite a bit too much credit here, IMO.

I don't really like to judge a team on one playoffs. Seattle beat Colorado in the first round after the Avs had won the cup but I wouldn't consider them frauds either.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

The Oilers just about followed the Blues in terms of miracles. Was that a fluke too? Both teams deserve credit for getting off the carpet to get back into the fight and run the gauntlet to a Stanley Cup Final. Exceptionally rarified air in that happening and the Oilers were 2 goals from similar immortality.

The teams had a Berube and Trotz effect in that both coaches delivered very good performances but could never win the big games. Until they did. It's like Holland preached about being good enough every year to compete and eventually everything falls into place including good fortune to win it all.

Ultimately the Blues have been able to sell off and maintain a competitive team that's driven by a younger core group of forwards found with later 1st round picks and beyond. Suggests they have some ability to identify talent and with an old veteran d-corp and good goaltending pivot reasonably quickly without deep rebuild. Hard to do, impossible to be perfect.

Like I said, I've never liked this team. But I can see a plan and some things which suggest they can compete.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sunk cost fallacy is how I’m feeling. Neither are worth those contracts, and will be ugly to re-sign because of them. The value of these players was they being cost controlled. That is no longer be the case.
I'm in full agreement there. But then there's the future cost of acquisition. I'm not sure it's easy to get players of that particular skillet without having to overpay.

Prime example is suggesting we turn around and add a 1st rounder for a couple seasons of Rasmus Andersson before he walks as a UFA. I'd rather overpay the player I know and have those assets for future use.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Broberg would be an easy sign coming out of that two year contract, but you have two years to figure that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Klef played 77 games before he got his 4M x 8 years. 4.6M x 2 years at today price is not too bad. Of course we wish it was better.
The two year term is what makes Broberg a way harder deal to match. If it was in the 5-7 year term I think they’d do it no problem, you’re ok living with the fact that he’s probably not worth the $4.6m now but you hope he develops and is a bargain contract at the tail end of it. But as it is with the term you’d be stuck paying him way more than he’s worth this coming year for sure, the following year would be iffy if he’d earn that contract, and if he pops off then you’re in a position where you have to re-up him the same off-season as McDavid. A large part of the appeal of Broberg was that he could be a bit of a bargain who’s outperforming his contract the next couple years, but I have a really hard time seeing that happening at $4.6m.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What do you think we should do? You'd really be fine with letting them both walk?

I know you never asked me but theres no way for the Oilers to win in this situation.

They are worse without these players. But the players also aren’t worth their contracts either.

Only way they win imo is if they use the cap space and assets to find better players than Holloway/Broberg and/or on better contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHelpus

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Overrated GM IMO

To me, the Blues are a team that struck out on trades or free agency. They couldn’t land anyone they targeted because players wouldn’t go there. They are an ok team but not really going anywhere.

So they just sent out inflated offer sheets because they have nothing to use their cap on. Theres not a super risk because the deals are short and the 2/3 picks aren’t much. So on one hand it makes sense. But on the other hand, I think handing out bad contracts even if its short term is bad cap management and roster creation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I know you never asked me but theres no way for the Oilers to win in this situation.

They are worse without these players. But the players also aren’t worth their contracts either.

Only way they win imo is if they use the cap space and assets to find better players than Holloway/Broberg on better contracts.
I don’t know if they are necessarily worse out forwards are upgrades and we can fit Kane under the cap with limited guys being sent down to ltir. Then sign a couple vets to stop gap us to the deadline.

There is some really interesting UFAs out there JvR wheeler kubalik for forwards and some meh stuff but likely decent enough to play bottom pair on D.

Save the ammo and upgrade D at the deadline big and I think we are likely a better team for it.

The following year yeah this really hurts but we would have needed to resign drai and bouch so this would have potentially hurt just as bad if we are cap strapped

Reactions: Duke74

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Only way they win imo is if they use the cap space and assets to find better players than Holloway/Broberg on better contracts.
It kind of feels like no one wins in this situation haha.

Like sure, the Blues (probably) get Broberg, but that contract is so bad that he essentially has zero value the second he gets there.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The more I think about it the more I lean towards letting them both walk. It sucks, but when you take a step back we managed to get through the season without them. They had their moments in the playoffs, but were fleeting and not consistent. I don’t know if much would have changed if they weren’t dressed.

A lot of their value was based on being able to (potentially) take a step while being on a cheap deal. Now that the cheap deals are gone, they dont have the same shine. In a reverse scenario where we signed either of these players to these deals in UFA we would all be screaming about how stupid and reckless it is. It really just doesn’t make sense to risk cap issues on these two.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDrai

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Like I’ve already posted, even if the Oilers had 10M in cap space, this wouldn’t be an automatic match. That tells you that it’s not only a cap space issue, it’s a contract structure issue.

The Blues will likely regret both of these contracts.
Not really. They aren't in a cap crunch

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Here's a question which would you rather have to round out the bottom 6?

Holloway at 2.3
Holloway-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan/Philp-Perry

Kostin at 2? (assuming you flip the 3rd returned from Holloway or less for him)
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Kostin-Ryan/Philp-Perry

Or Lavoie at 0.75mil, and the extra 1.5 mn cap space to upgrade on Stecher/ the 4th line centre
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Lavoie-Ryan/Philp-Perry

Knowing they already have Janmark locked up for the next 3 years, I think I like the other 2 options more than Holloway. Kostin gives you a proper replacement for Kane, and creating as much cap space for a defence upgrade should also be a priority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad