Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was born in 86 and grew up in the 90s. Things I did every day growing up would literally get people fired today if it was caught on videos, things like breaking into schools on the weekend, our vocabulary, trespassing places we shouldn't, and general just being little brats. We bullied, were bullied, fought and said things I would never say today. People need chances to grow up and adapt to new social norms.

The poster wasn't wrong though in saying if it happened in 2024 MacT's drinking and driving would be looked at in a different light. I understand drinking and driving WAS VERY COMMON in the past. My dad who grew up in rural Quebec would tell me stories of him and his friends drinking and driving down country roads in the 70s and 80s. He had a successful career in intelligence in the Canadian armed forces, but if that happened today he would have ended in jail.

As for me, im happy I grew up before everybody had a camera in their pockets. Worst I had to worry about was someone recording me for 10 seconds with a YAKBAK I would hate to see the shit I did as a kid and teenage live on the internet forever. However, im very grateful that in my young adulthood I had cell phones and internet access. So im biased. However we need to let kids be kids these days and teach them the right way to act in society, but adults need to be treated like adults regardless if something was "okay" in their day.
I agree with your post, the only part that I have a slight issue with is the bolded. Adults will only know what they've been taught/told/learned to that point in their lives. A guy like Bowman was probably taught to respect and not challenge authority throughout his life. So when the team's president said "I'll take care of it" Bowman backed off because that is just what you used to do when someone higher up in the pecking order gives orders. We all have to adapt to the world as it changes, but what a 60 year old, 40 year old and 20 year old were taught/lived through are different. I see people ripping past generations yet what I hear about in school from my kids and see from many kids it paints a picture of a very entitled and disrespectful generation. Fact of the matter is that there are good and bad in every generation and if people would take the best lessons from each generation and apply them vs. shitting on everything that came before them maybe we'd get somewhere as a society.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I agree with your post, the only part that I have a slight issue with is the bolded. Adults will only know what they've been taught/told/learned to that point in their lives. A guy like Bowman was probably taught to respect and not challenge authority throughout his life. So when the team's president said "I'll take care of it" Bowman backed off because that is just what you used to do when someone higher up in the pecking order gives orders. We all have to adapt to the world as it changes, but what a 60 year old, 40 year old and 20 year old were taught/lived through are different. I see people ripping past generations yet what I hear about in school from my kids and see from many kids it paints a picture of a very entitled and disrespectful generation. Fact of the matter is that there are good and bad in every generation and if people would take the best lessons from each generation and apply them vs. shitting on everything that came before them maybe we'd get somewhere as a society.
Im not even talking about Bowman, I don't hold Bowman liable for what happened. I just think he should passed up the line quicker.

Im more talking about the direct pararell to drinking and driving from 40 years ago to today. Older generations learn about changing social norms through media like TV shows, movies, news paper articles, music, radio, podcasts and in speaking to other people. Some people dig in and ignore it at all get left behind thats fair. adapt or be a fossil.

Also when I hear people ripping the newer generations for being entitled and disrespectful, the common denominator is usually the parents, not the generation. It's likely the people from above paragraph that don't adapt then raise kids of thier own. There is a lot of people just digging their heads in the sand in regards to reality around them these days. Theres a whole class of people (multi generational as well) that seem to be proud of their own ignorance and actively pass this on.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Im not even talking about Bowman, I don't hold Bowman liable for what happened. I just think he should passed up the line quicker.

Im more talking about the direct pararell to drinking and driving from 40 years ago to today. Older generations learn about changing social norms through media like TV shows, movies, news paper articles, music, radio, podcasts and in speaking to other people. Some people dig in and ignore it at all get left behind thats fair. adapt or be a fossil.

Also when I hear people ripping the newer generations for being entitled and disrespectful, the common denominator is usually the parents, not the generation. It's likely the people from above paragraph that don't adapt then raise kids of thier own. There is a lot of people just digging their heads in the sand in regards to reality around them these days. Theres a whole class of people (multi generational as well) that seem to be proud of their own ignorance and actively pass this on.
100% I blame the parents for not teaching their kids. The sense of entitlement rolls down from them as well. The whole "it's all about me" horseshit attitude.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's highly unusual for a top level UFA to play out the last year of his contract and re-sign with his own team. Usually when they let it go to UFA they're signing elsewhere or, in most cases, re-sign with their team the offseason prior. If Drai isn't re-signing this offseason, there's a very good chance that he's done, for nothing.
Of course the vast majority would re sign asap or choose to move on because most situations are straight forward. There are exceptions though. The McDavid decision is franchise deciding. For Drai this is the exception. I wouldn't blame him to wait if we are talking about committing 8 years. Winning a cup is extremely important to Draisaitl for his legacy. He views himself as the torch bearer for German hockey. If McDavid signs here, Draisaitl would sign in a hurry. If McDavid doesn't, his cup odds fall here

I still say that Draisaitl is close enough to McDavid that they can have an honest conversation about it, and that they both want to stay here. I can't know for sure though

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We need to sign Broberg ASAP..
Hopefully we won't have to lose Holloway to fit Broberg under cap.

Similarly I have a feeling that we will have to lose Bouchard to fit McDavid and Draisaitl long term.

Reactions: soothsayer

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Similarly I have a feeling that we will have to lose Bouchard to fit McDavid and Draisaitl long term.
I think McDavid, Drai, and Bouch all take a bit of a haircut for the good of the team TBH. They're going to lead by example and let everyone else know that they are committed (including any FA out there) to winning.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think McDavid, Drai, and Bouch all take a bit of a haircut for the good of the team TBH. They're going to lead by example and let everyone else know that they are committed (including any FA out there) to winning.
I doubt it. I am sure we will be extending McDavid with max cap avaialable before we look at signing Bouchard(RFA).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think he'll take the max cap (McDavid). I really don't.
Max will be closer to 19 with cap going over 90M. Anything under 15 will be insulting offer for McD. McDrai will cost a combined 30M IMO and everyone should be fine with it.

Reactions: Messrules11

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Max will be closer to 19 with cap going over 90M. Anything under 15 will be insulting offer for McD. McDrai will cost a combined 30M IMO and everyone should be fine with it.
I agree, I’ll say 29M combined though, just cause.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Its not going to be easy, but it shouldn't be too difficult either.

Salary cap going up 4 mil from now until then. Ceci and J. Skinner's contract will have ended, 6.25 mil. That 10.25 next offseason. Then you have Ekholm's 6, Kane's 5.13, Avidsson's 4, Henrique's 3, Kulak's 2.75 the following season, ~21mil.

Not sure the likelihood but would make a ton of sense for us to pay Draisaitl on his next deal, and then give Bouchard a 1-year bridge knowing that there's 21mil opening up the following offseason for Mcdavud and Bouchard's extensions (which will knly require about half of that). Could structure a "9"-year deal where the first year is low, and then the 8-year extension to make up the difference.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Its not going to be easy, but it shouldn't be too difficult either.

Salary cap going up 4 mil from now until then. Ceci and J. Skinner's contract will have ended, 6.25 mil. That 10.25 next offseason. Then you have Ekholm's 6, Kane's 5.13, Avidsson's 4, Henrique's 3, Kulak's 2.75 the following season, ~21mil.

Not sure the likelihood but would make a ton of sense for us to pay Draisaitl on his next deal, and then give Bouchard a 1-year bridge knowing that there's 21mil opening up the following offseason for Mcdavud and Bouchard's extensions (which will knly require about half of that). Could structure a "9"-year deal where the first year is low, and then the 8-year extension to make up the difference.
1yr won't make sense because McDavid, maybe a 2yr bridge deal ala Necas in CAR. 2x6.75M should get us in the clear.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

It’ll be Bouchard or Nurse. Can’t have both at their salaries if you want a stable defence. That Nurse contract is going to hurt for a long time

Reactions: InTheBox

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It’ll be Bouchard or Nurse. Can’t have both at their salaries if you want a stable defence. That Nurse contract is going to hurt for a long time
Why do you believe that they can't have both Nurse and Bouchard. Can you show me the numbers because I don't see it. Of course it would be great if Nurse's salary was less but they will have room for both unless Draisaitl and McDavid take a lot more than I expect.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why do you believe that they can't have both Nurse and Bouchard. Can you show me the numbers because I don't see it. Of course it would be great if Nurse's salary was less but they will have room for both unless Draisaitl and McDavid take a lot more than I
We will have 50M tied up in 8F assuming Drai gets 13.5M per
20M tied up in 5D without Broberg or Bouchard
3.6M in goalies.

8 more salaries to count with about 18M in cap space.

Holloway, Jarventie, Savoie, Broberg will hopefully be 4 of those 8. Let's say they make a combined 6M.
Bouchard at 8x8 would mean we have to sign 4 more close to league min forwards and then go through the same struggle the following year when McD gets a 4 to 5M raise.

It's certainly possible but with some of dead cap (buyouts) not easy.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
We will have 50M tied up in 8F assuming Drai gets 13.5M per
20M tied up in 5D without Broberg or Bouchard
3.6M in goalies.

8 more salaries to count with about 18M in cap space.

Holloway, Jarventie, Savoie, Broberg will hopefully be 4 of those 8. Let's say they make a combined 6M.
Bouchard at 8x8 would mean we have to sign 4 more close to league min forwards and then go through the same struggle the following year when McD gets a 4 to 5M raise.

It's certainly possible but with some of dead cap (buyouts) not easy.
What is the cap going to be in 26-27?

Reactions: capazzo

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'll be fine with it for sure if that's what it turns out to be. They'll be worth every penny.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’m going to predict that Nurse has a bounce back year and will look closer to a 9 million Dman.

What bounce back? He only looked really good in a season playing against Canadian teams, half of which the players weren't even trying.
He is serviceable in the regular season and absolutely horrific EVERY post season.

No sure what he's realistically supposed to "bounce back to" ?

He's been so bad in the post seasons if he actually levels up in the future it would still be subpar. He would literally have to level up by 4-5 to be in good status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium