Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It is stupid, but young people making stupid choices is definitely neither new or in the past only. Some are fortunate enough to not have it impact their life while others die or ruin their lives because of it.
Social mores were much different back then. We learn, we adapt we evolve. We know now that a 40-$ Uber rider is smart, safe, cheap and wise. In 1978 it wasn’t even a forethought.

Can you imagine an RCMP officer telling you to “get home” nowadays. No I can’t neither. But I can also shamefully admit I was told to do that more than a handful times and I stupidly did.

Thankfully we evolve and learn. Saw a nasty accident yesterday south of Page, Arizona. Wheeled ambulance and a medi heli landed on the highway, we sat for 90 minutes. Sadly the wheeled unit left without lights or speed. Not sure what happened with the chopper. Just a reminder to pay attention, drive reasonably, stay off your f***ing phone. Stay engaged.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Social mores were much different back then. We learn, we adapt we evolve. We know now that a 40-$ Uber rider is smart, safe, cheap and wise. In 1978 it wasn’t even a forethought.

Can you imagine an RCMP officer telling you to “get home” nowadays. No I can’t neither. But I can also shamefully admit I was told to do that more than a handful times and I stupidly did.

Thankfully we evolve and learn. Saw a nasty accident yesterday south of Page, Arizona. Wheeled ambulance and a medi heli landed on the highway, we sat for 90 minutes. Sadly the wheeled unit left without lights or speed. Not sure what happened with the chopper. Just a reminder to pay attention, drive reasonably, stay off your f***ing phone. Stay engaged.

Yup, Edmontons finest often just said to go home and if we see you out here again that’ll be it. You can’t judge yesterday by today’s social norms.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Thankfully you survived, didn't hurt anyone and have learned over time that it wasn't a good idea. People make mistakes every day, we all need to do our best to learn from them and become better people for it.

Look at MacT, he made a dumb decision and someone lost their life as a result. He learned from it and became a contributing member of society.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's easy to forgive when you're not directly affected by someone's "stupid choices."

Lots of forgiveness to go around when that person works/plays for your favourite team too I've noticed.
Who said anything about forgiveness? How about giving someone a second chance to make amends? How about not damning Bowman to hell simply because he was 1 of many that mishandled the situation? You'd think that he was a serial rapist or killer the way that he is detested by many. The guy f***ed up, he owned up for it and lost millions of $'s as a result of his mistake. What else should be taken from him so that you can be happy?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Thankfully you survived, didn't hurt anyone and have learned over time that it wasn't a good idea. People make mistakes every day, we all need to do our best to learn from them and become better people for it.

Look at MacT, he made a dumb decision and someone lost their life as a result. He learned from it and became a contributing member of society.
yes.

And this, we all hopefully get better every day. I have a lotta love for MacT, spending a year in prison for vehicular homicide and coming out and evolving into the parent and coach that he did.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's easy to forgive when you're not directly affected by someone's "stupid choices."

Lots of forgiveness to go around when that person works/plays for your favourite team too I've noticed.
In MacT's case he became close with the family of the victim. The had the grace to forgive him despite being most definitely directly affected.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
First the gm hire thread now the rumors thread. Oh, and the olympics.
Why can't we have hockey talk anymore.

At least the resign Drai thread is intact.

There should be a thread exclusively for controversy and incorrectness banter.

Im here to talk hockey. I wonder with Calgary being in full re-build mode if they would consider trading with the Oilers. Can we realistically put together a package for Andersson?

Philip Broberg + 2026 1st round pick + Cody Ceci

Rasmus Andersson (50% retained)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Explain why it is so impossible for Drai to wait. He would not be the first impending UFA to become a free agent. He would not even be the first UFA to simply re-sign with his last team.

I'd even wonder if maybe to take the sting out of wondering, if he might consider signing for one year, just so his contract would align with McDavid's

I'm just skeptical that Drai would commit 8 years to a team where he doesn't even know if they will be a contender. Even if the odds of McDavid re signing were 90+% there's no upside to taking that risk. Draisaitl will be paid either way and we aren't trading him either

Imo you are so resistant to this idea just because you don't like it. It really would not be that strange or unprecedented
It's highly unusual for a top level UFA to play out the last year of his contract and re-sign with his own team. Usually when they let it go to UFA they're signing elsewhere or, in most cases, re-sign with their team the offseason prior. If Drai isn't re-signing this offseason, there's a very good chance that he's done, for nothing.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Im here to talk hockey. I wonder with Calgary being in full re-build mode if they would consider trading with the Oilers. Can we realistically put together a package for Andersson?

Broberg showed these playoffs that he's better than Ratmus right now. Broberg's performance can't be overstated. I eat crow: he is legit.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

If Calgary is committing to a full rebuild they'd be stupid not to take the best offer for any player at this point.

The kicker is Andersson only has two more seasons left. Conroy really should be looking to move him sooner than later if they are going rebuild.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Broberg showed these playoffs that he's better than Ratmus right now. Broberg's performance can't be overstated. I eat crow: he is legit.

We will have to disagree. Its a small sample size.

Andersson has 50/49/39 point seasons. He's basically a 0.5 P/G defenceman with 2 more years at a reasonable cap hit. He also has 14 points in 27 playoff games.

Broberg has 3 points in 10 playoffs.

Andersson is also a natural RHD. I think making a swap makes a lot of sense for Calgary as Broberg will be around longer than 2 years and has high upside. Andersson helps us win now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Broberg is one of the last players we should be trading. A young, cheap, top 4 option that can potentially explode next season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Hey may even breakout and be as good as Andersson.

The problem is that if you want to extend the window you need young cheap guys. In two years Anderson will be looking at $8M or so. So not only will you be dealing with McDavid's new deal but you either have to find an additional $6M or so (assuming you do the 50% retention deal) or you let him walk.

Value wise the deal is fine. But I don't think you can make this move right now.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It is stupid, but young people making stupid choices is definitely neither new or in the past only. Some are fortunate enough to not have it impact their life while others die or ruin their lives because of it.
I was born in 86 and grew up in the 90s. Things I did every day growing up would literally get people fired today if it was caught on videos, things like breaking into schools on the weekend, our vocabulary, trespassing places we shouldn't, and general just being little brats. We bullied, were bullied, fought and said things I would never say today. People need chances to grow up and adapt to new social norms.

The poster wasn't wrong though in saying if it happened in 2024 MacT's drinking and driving would be looked at in a different light. I understand drinking and driving WAS VERY COMMON in the past. My dad who grew up in rural Quebec would tell me stories of him and his friends drinking and driving down country roads in the 70s and 80s. He had a successful career in intelligence in the Canadian armed forces, but if that happened today he would have ended in jail.

As for me, im happy I grew up before everybody had a camera in their pockets. Worst I had to worry about was someone recording me for 10 seconds with a YAKBAK I would hate to see the shit I did as a kid and teenage live on the internet forever. However, im very grateful that in my young adulthood I had cell phones and internet access. So im biased. However we need to let kids be kids these days and teach them the right way to act in society, but adults need to be treated like adults regardless if something was "okay" in their day.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The problem is that if you want to extend the window you need young cheap guys. In two years Anderson will be looking at $8M or so. So not only will you be dealing with McDavid's new deal but you either have to find an additional $6M or so (assuming you do the 50% retention deal) or you let him walk.

Value wise the deal is fine. But I don't think you can make this move right now.

I think that's fair and a conversation worth having.

Personally, I see the Oilers biggest weakness right now is that we need a top 4 RHD. Andersson would plug that hole for the next 2 years. The number one goal is to try and win a cup now.

In two years, you can re-evaluate. The cap will continue to go up, Ekholm's contract will be coming off the books (hopefully he's signed for less), Kulak will be off the books, Henrique and Arvidsson will be off the books and Kane will likely be gone. I wouldn't just assume that he's gone after 2 years - especially if he fits in well and wins a cup here.

When it comes to right now, I don't see how anyone can make the argument that Broberg is as good as Andersson. Can he be? Perhaps but he was almost trade fodder a few months ago. Not everyone on this team is going to project upwards. Broberg is also in tough as he is a LHD and has Nurse/Kulak blocking him from his natural side.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Lol what kind of reasoning is this Bouchard's already an 80 plus point getter and ppg playoff guy because he proved that he should get comparable pay to a guy you hope gets to that level.

You might want to re-read what I said?

I just said that the contracts aren't comparable and then you come in and start whining about how Bouchard isn't comparable to Faber?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Something is different though now. The degree of risk taking is unparalleled. The thought of jumping down a waterfall would be insane to me or anybody I ever knew back when we were young. Today in places like Lynn Canyon in North Vancouver you can't stop people from jumping off a cliff and in some cases shooting down waterfall(s). Even while doing a video documenting this with film crews and first responders on site all sorts of people jumping.

Unfortunate but I'll mention the thousands of needless deaths from the Opioids crisis. No end of warnings about how unsafe supply of any illicit drugs are now but people just keep using.

Death by misadventure has never been higher.

Indeed youth mortality has never been worse than what it is in NA now. What we're experiencing here is somehow much different than most affluent countries.

I'll follow with a comment that this is not judgement. The influx of horrible drugs on the streets much more dangerous than what was formerly readily available is making mistakes of youth lethal today, in ways that hadn't been seen.

I will say also that the dynamic influence of social media and cohort age based influence today leads much more pressure to conform, to emulate, to follow and so that its literally like lemmings jumping off a cliff. To wit in 1970 if a couple people did that and others watched few if any would follow. Now soon as you post up youtube or pictures the trail of carnage is endless. The social pressure to follow is immense.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
First the gm hire thread now the rumors thread. Oh, and the olympics.
Why can't we have hockey talk anymore.

At least the resign Drai thread is intact.

There should be a thread exclusively for controversy and incorrectness banter.
The resign Drai thread is about Rishaug and media idiots now. Thanks. ;)

Not sure what you expect. This is business as usual in summer on a hockey board where no news or events are occurring. Should we just make up current material? There is none. So that focus wanes and goes OT, as it does every summer here ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium