Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It will definitely be different for the Oilers... because Oilers.

Bettman will bend over backwards for his sunny US franchise darlings... Edmonton is way too far North for them to give 2 shits about.
I mean if we wanted to have Campbell on the cap for 2 more years before we got to pull something like Vegas did than sure?
Lehner hasn’t played hockey in 2 years, this would be his third.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Thoughts after Pre-season.

The defense isn't as big of a worry to me as most (as long as they do the right thing by signing Dermott and demoting Brown). I still at the end of the day see it as a deadline fix. We just need one solid top 4 guy for the playoff run.

I think our bottom 6 forward group is built very well for the playoffs, but won't provide much offense substance during the regular season. I'd like to see Podkolzin get a crack in the top 6 when injuries or poor play from one of our top 6 wingers allows for it.

Kane coming back will be great, and hopefully Savoie is ready by the end of the year. However, I could see us needing to add a middle 6 scoring forward at the deadline as well.

Lastly, I worry we are due for another slow worrisome start. I don't know what it is with this core, but they always seem to take a while to get going.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

The defense isn't as big of a worry to me as most (as long as they do the right thing by signing Dermott and demoting Brown). I still at the end of the day see it as a deadline fix. We just need one solid top 4 guy for the playoff run.

I think our bottom 6 forward group is built very well for the playoffs, but won't provide much offense substance during the regular season. I'd like to see Podkolzin get a crack in the top 6 when injuries or poor play from one of our top 6 wingers allows for it.

Kane coming back will be great, and hopefully Savoie is ready by the end of the year. However, I could see us needing to add a middle 6 scoring forward at the deadline as well.

Lastly, I worry we are due for another slow worrisome start. I don't know what it is with this core, but they always seem to take a while to get going.
He had a monster first game in Bako, which bodes well.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

That top 4 addition better be a puck moving superstar. The Oilers defense is a joke right now. Worse than mediocre.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Colorado claims John Ludvig
That's a good pick up for them. He was another waiver guy I was kind of looking at. Big defensive D that had 5 scraps last year. Had some offense playing in the WHL.

It'll be interesting to see what happens there now.

They were already carrying 8 D with Brannstrom and Kylington as scratches while Sam Malinski was dressed as the #6. All three of those guys aren't waivers exempt.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It’s definitely got holes and has taken a step backwards since Game 7, but lacking a superstar??
Overstatement on my part. Focus on the "puck-mover" ingredient. We need someone really good and the goals and assists component is secondary to the completeness of the players game.
That's a good pick up for them. He was another waiver guy I was kind of looking at. Big defensive D that had 5 scraps last year. Had some offense playing in the WHL.

They were already carrying 8 D with Brannstrom and Kylington as scratches while Sam Malinski was dressed as the #6. All three of those guys aren't waivers exempt.
We could do well on the waiver wire if we had great pro-scouting. I don't even follow the AHL any longer but there has to be quick responsible defenders that don't put up a lot of points that we never hear about which would be an upgrade for the Oil.
Bouchard is one of the best offensive dmen in the game. Ekholm is easily a top 30 dman in the game. We don't need a 'superstar'.
Puck-retrieving and puck-moving skills are lacking.

And beyond our first pairing our defense is sad.

Now listen here and remember what I say. Our lack of depth on defense means teams can isolate and target Bouchard and Ekholm because there is no need to worry about the rest.

Some teams target with X and O strategies drawn up on a board. Some teams target with physical play. Some teams target with dirty play.... get it? It's going to happen.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Overstatement on my part. Focus on the "puck-mover" ingredient. We need someone really good and the goals and assists component is secondary to the completeness of the players game.

We could do well on the waiver wire if we had great pro-scouting. I don't even follow the AHL any longer but there has to be quick responsible defenders that don't put up a lot of points that we never hear about which would be an upgrade for the Oil.

Puck-retrieving and puck-moving skills are lacking.

And beyond our first pairing our defense is sad.

Now listen here and remember what I say. Our lack of depth on defense means teams can isolate and target Bouchard and Ekholm because there is no need to worry about the rest.

Some teams target with X and O strategies drawn up on a board. Some teams target with physical play. Some teams target with dirty play.... get it? It's going to happen.
I don’t disagree that a puck mover will help. It’s a basic need that every NHL D corps has/desires. I think Stecher can be effective in that role.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I doubt we claim anyone with Dermott likely to get a contract, but Brannstrom is a player I'd have a lot of interest in. Plays both sides, moves the puck quite well and seems to have a career trajectory very similar to Kris Russell's.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Bit of a misleading headline, as per usual, just going for the clicks. He's only saying what all of us are, that at some point this year we need to upgrade our D, not exactly a revelation.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Maybe the wild finally blow it up and trade Jared Spurgeon? He will be a ufa next year so that helps us out.
Maybe at 50% retained.. he’ll be 35 next month with 3 years left on his deal. It would be cool adding a local guy who would probably want to push hard to win a Cup in his career (especially in his hometown)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don’t disagree that a puck mover will help. It’s a basic need that every NHL D corps has/desires. I think Stecher can be effective in that role.
On a 15th place team Stecher is passable. There are a lot of Stecher level players earning paychecks in the NHL. If you want to make it out of the Conference he is not an option.

Kulak has to go. Same reason as above. And I know we made it to the Finals with Kulak but that's luck when you make it that far with average defensemen. If we had someone better than a Kulak level player to put out on the ice in a game seven of a Stanley Cup Final the team skates away with a championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad