Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Feb 15th announcement: "Mark Stone is suffering from a broken heart after watching The Titanic for the first time. We take the mental health of our players very seriously and will be playing Stone on LTIR for at least 2 months to give him time to recover"

"...the NHL also said we are excused to not have any of our players count towards the cap, thus we will be having another Expansion Draft and make a new team. Vegas will have two teams on the ice at once so to make it fair for us since we are on hard times".

Reactions: oobga

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That is probably because our Dcore is really, REALLY, bad. Like, "bottom third of the league" bad right now. Yes, we will very likely make a move at some point to bring a guy in, and maybe that moves us up into the 50th percentile or so. But even after that move, we have, at best, an average defensive room. Our top pairing is fire, and then its a whole bunch of nothing, with mostly 3rd pairing and 7th Dmen. We don't have a legit 3-4 guy after the top pair. It's pretty bad right now.

Damn, I had no idea that losing Ceci and Desharnais decimated one of the better defensive teams in the league last season. The Sharks and Canucks really struck gold with those two pillars.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Damn, I had no idea that losing Ceci and Desharnais decimated one of the better defensive teams in the league last season. The Sharks and Canucks really struck gold with those two pillars.
See here's the thing, losing them on their own isn't a big deal, it's when you lose all of them and don't adequately replace them that's the concerning thing.

You can't tell me with a straight face that the bottom 4 D aren't at least a little concerning, especially that second pairing regardless of who gets paired with Nurse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
See here's the thing, losing them on their own isn't a big deal, it's when you lose all of them and don't adequately replace them that's the concerning thing.

You can't tell me with a straight face that the bottom 4 D aren't at least a little concerning, especially that second pairing regardless of who gets paired with Nurse.
You don't go from a top 10 defensive team to bottom 10 by losing Ceci and Desharnais, flat out.
Sure there might be some struggles as the new personnel adjusts but the Oilers D will be fine in time. The top pairing will do what they usually do, the bottom pairing will as well because Kulak always anchors solid pairings. The big question, as it always had been under Holland, is the Nurse pairing which was actually ok during regular seasons but crumbled in the playoffs. The defense could take a bit of a step back as they sort stuff out but it won't be the massive drop off that some seem to think it'll be.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Bob did hint today that what they'd ideally like is a top 4 RHD with little term (not Rasmus Andersson) and said there are 3 or 4 in the NHL who are ready to move on from their teams.

He said this during rookie camp as well. I wonder if we do have our eyes set on someone if all else failed at camp (like right now)
Who do you think the 3 or 4 are? Risto, And.... I m just curious for day dreaming ha.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don't go from a top 10 defensive team to bottom 10 by losing Ceci and Desharnais, flat out.
Sure there might be some struggles as the new personnel adjusts but the Oilers D will be fine in time. The top pairing will do what they usually do, the bottom pairing will as well because Kulak always anchors solid pairings. The big question, as it always had been under Holland, is the Nurse pairing which was actually ok during regular seasons but crumbled in the playoffs. The defense could take a bit of a step back as they sort stuff out but it won't be the massive drop off that some seem to think it'll be.
This is also assuming everyone stays healthy. Until Nurse plays like a player who can elevate his partner his pairing will always be targeted. I didn't mind trading Ceci but the defense right now is questionable, to say the least. And while preseason may not count for anything on the scoreboard, seeing the team get ventilated game after game is cause for at least some concern.

Ideally there shouldn't be any dropoff at all. And it's fair to say that anything less than a championship this season is a failure. This defense doesn't really scream championship calibre to me, and I really don't like the idea of "We'll just address it at the TDL."

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This is also assuming everyone stays healthy. Until Nurse plays like a player who can elevate his partner his pairing will always be targeted. I didn't mind trading Ceci but the defense right now is questionable, to say the least. And while preseason may not count for anything on the scoreboard, seeing the team get ventilated game after game is cause for at least some concern.

Ideally there shouldn't be any dropoff at all. And it's fair to say that anything less than a championship this season is a failure. This defense doesn't really scream championship calibre to me, and I really don't like the idea of "We'll just address it at the TDL."
You don’t like any ideas the oilers have anyways.

They could trade for makar at 50% and you’d be finding something wrong with it

Reactions: Kepler 186f

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don’t like any ideas the oilers have anyways.

They could trade for makar at 50% and you’d be finding something wrong with it
The Oilers could sign Lucic to a max contract and you'd still lap the feet of their management.

I know nuance is a foreign concept to you, so maybe research it and then come back to the discussion.

The funniest thing about your post is that I literally said that I didn't mind trading Ceci. Somehow you equated that to "Don't like any ideas".

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
So can someone clarify things if I'm misunderstanding?

In order for Lehner to go LTIR he has to report to camp for evaluation. If a player refuses to report for camp, the contract can be terminated, alleviating the cap hit.

Lehner refused to report to camp giving Vegas grounds to terminate his contract and alleviate themselves of the cap hit.

Vegas instead chose to still pay Lehner his money instead of being completely washed of his contract as would normally happen upon contract termination anyways.

People are upset because Vegas is circumventing cap and gaming the system by still choosing to pay the salary of a contract that has basically been terminated by a player refusing to report to camp?

Am I missing something?
Normally, when a player doesn’t report to the team, that player is suspended. When that happens, it is expected that some resolution will be reached and the player’s salary continues to count against the cap until finally resolved.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Team defense is fine yet panic and handwringing over a #8/7/6 depth d Josh Brown. The same information based organization and management personnel who saw potential in Emberson stepped up on day 1 free agency for Brown.

Thankfully the end is near for marathon pre-season and experimenting with a big cut of new personnel who haven't played in winning organizations. Lots of questions that will work through when real bullets start flying.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This fan base will always protect him from the idiots.
Incredibly there are posters who have at times questioned his leadership, character and integrity when the team has hit its adversity, made personnel decisions with senior leadership, coaching and player. We have such limited vantage point to evaluate leadership. This documentary lets us inside the lockeroom.

Outsides will hate out of jealously. I get that. Easy to ignore. But team fans watching McDavid go through walls to win and often drag this team behind him, I've never understand questioning this super elite's character.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Damn, losing ceci and desharnais takes us from a top 10 team to a bottom 10 team?

And nurse is absolutely a top 4 guy
We weren't a top 10 Dcore team before, not by a long shot. The defensive successes we had, were due to forwards being superior mostly. Not due to D player success.

No, Nurse was barely a bottom pairing guy in the playoffs last year.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
15 minutes a night of bottom pairing responsibility? If that's a major concern, this is a very good hockey team.
If they don't upgrade on defense the Oilers will fail. All you have to do is sit back and watch and you'll witness the truth.

Maybe you're correct, you're not.... so why do you want to be wrong again?

Why don't you want the Oilers to succeed? That's the grandest question in my opinion as far as I'm concerned about you. You really don't want the team to win. A psychoanalyst would tell you the same. Like a dream where your dick falls off. You don't want the Oilers to win.

First querrey I have is "who's paying this guy to help ensure the team never wins." Something is f***ed up here.

I don't even want kool-aid Kulak on the team. He's not good, he's overpaid for what he brings, and it's exceedingly aggravating that posters keep insisting he is adequate enough... blah blah blah

Look at it this way, if Kulak sucks and half our defense is worse than Kulak what do have, a cucumber sandwich? WTF is going on with this board?

Didn’t you say

If a team loses a player to waivers doesn't the team losing the player move up the list of teams that can put in claims on players who are waived? Doesn't the order of the list change?

Ooof
I was wishful thinking about the waiver wire order being rearranged after a claim because the Oilers defense is so f***ing horrible right now. Is that a crime, to hope the team does something about a glaring weakness that should be unmistakably apparent to everyone and remedied immediately? It's manifestly obvious that the Oilers are not even one good defenseman away...

The regular season starts soon and it doesn't appear the Oilers are considering defensive upgrades... but they will be very soon and you'll change you smartypants toon. You always do.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We weren't a top 10 Dcore team before, not by a long shot. The defensive successes we had, were due to forwards being superior mostly. Not due to D player success.

You would think we’d bleed goals against last year with a bad D core and bad goalie, that wasn’t the case.

Yeah, I’ll take the rest of his career over a 25 game sample size when he was playing injured

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If they don't upgrade on defense the Oilers will fail. All you have to do is sit back and watch and you'll witness the truth.

Maybe you're correct, you're not.... so why do you want to be wrong again?

Why don't you want the Oilers to succeed? That's the grandest question in my opinion as far as I'm concerned about you. You really don't want the team to win. A psychoanalyst would tell you the same. Like a dream where your dick falls off. You don't want the Oilers to win.

First querrey I have is "who's paying this guy to help ensure the team never wins." Something is f***ed up here.

I don't even want kool-aid Kulak on the team. He's not good, he's overpaid for what he brings, and it's exceedingly aggravating that posters keep insisting he is adequate enough... blah blah blah

Look at it this way, if Kulak sucks and half our defense is worse than Kulak what do have, a cucumber sandwich? WTF is going on with this board?

I was wishful thinking about the waiver wire order being rearranged after a claim because the Oilers defense is so f***ing horrible right now. Is that a crime, to hope the team does something about a glaring weakness that should be unmistakably apparent to everyone and remedied immediately? It's manifestly obvious that the Oilers are not even one good defenseman away...

The regular season starts soon and it doesn't appear the Oilers are considering defensive upgrades... but they will be very soon and you'll change you smartypants toon. You always do.

May god have mercy on your soul.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Sorry but this is BS.

They were the 6th best for goals against last year under Knoblaugh which was like 85% of the season.

In the playoffs they had a lower GA than the Cup winning Florida Panthers. In all four playoff rounds, they flat out shut down every team they played against, none of LA, Vancouver, Dallas, or even Florida
could score more than 2 goals/game against the Oilers down the stretch of every series.

LA and Dallas got shut down to the tune of 1.75 goals for/game for the last 3 games of their series, Vancouver and Florida got held to 2 goals for/game for the last 4 games of their series.

That was a massive improvement over Woodcroft's defensive gong show in the previous two playoffs.

I'm sorry, but that is a good D.

Ekholm is one of the best D in the league too, one of the most underrated players in the game period, he's a legit no.1, he just doesn't get his props because his offensive game is merely "pretty good" and not "super sexy!". He and Bouchard outplayed the shit out of the Hughes-Hronek pair in the Vancouver series and were better than Florida's best D too head to head.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sorry but this is BS.

They were the 6th best for goals against last year under Knoblaugh which was like 85% of the season.

In the playoffs they had a lower GA than the Cup winning Florida Panthers. In all four playoff rounds, they flat out shut down every team they played against, none of LA, Vancouver, Dallas, or even Florida
could score more than 2 goals/game against the Oilers down the stretch of every series.

LA and Dallas got shut down to the tune of 1.75 goals for/game for the last 3 games of their series, Vancouver and Florida got held to 2 goals for/game for the last 4 games of their series.

That was a massive improvement over Woodcroft's defensive gong show in the previous two playoffs.

I'm sorry, but that is a good D.

Ekholm is one of the best D in the league too, one of the most underrated players in the game period.

It's good team D for certain, and our top pairing is VERY good in fact. But our bottom 4 was really bad (just go look at the advanced stats on them) and that is where we got worse (although I personally don't know how much we got worse). Our forwards are so dominant, that it covers up a lot of deficiencies on our backend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad