Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Brown being waived must mean Dermott close to contract?
How has Dermott looked so far?

One element I'm curious to see with Nurse-Stecher is if Troy manages to drag Nurse into more battles.

One of the biggest issues (of many) with Nurse-Ceci was the lack of pushback they brought, Both guys are over 6'3 and 210lb, that should have been a nasty, physically taxing pairing to play against and it just wasn't.

Stecher, being a true Napoleon complex on ice, is probably the Oil's quickest Dman to get into a scrap, and I'm hoping that gets Nurse more engaged vs. the neutered Darnell we've seen for the last few seasons.
Stechers legs look pretty decent to me. He seems to like to rush/carry the puck.
Not sure if thats a fit with Nurse though because he also likes to carry the puck.

Regarding Stechers scrappiness...I didnt realize that was part of his game.
Good to know.
I havent seen enough of this preseason to know how good he looks overall.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Invisible, but in a good way.

Stechers legs look pretty decent to me. He seems to like to rush/carry the puck.
Not sure if thats a fit with Nurse though because he also likes to carry the puck.

Regarding Stechers scrappiness...I didnt realize that was part of his game.
Good to know.

That's the catch-22 with Nurse: he can rush/carry the puck, but it's really his only play to move the puck. When teams focus on taking away his rushing lanes and force him to pass, he struggles.

This is why he worked so well with Barrie and Bear. two guys that are good at puck retrievals and breakouts. Other teams had to respect their breakouts and play things more cautiously, meaning when Nurse did get the puck during the odd breakout, he near always had the option to skate it out.

As for Stecher, he can be a little ball of hate, and is like that more often than not. Classic example of don't look at the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Honestly, I love him as a fit with Nurse, the only issue is they're no way he lasts 82 games of playing 18-20min a night.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
My head is spinning. How has Gleason been waived but not Josh Brown?

Hmmm, Brown gonna be a weird blind spot for management/coaching? We've had our share of these guys over the years. Just something about them that no one outside the org understands that keeps them up the depth chart. Hope we rarely see him in real action.

Feel like we've done Gleason dirty 2 years in a row now. I thought he played well last year and got demoted earlier than expected too. Last year he was on for 8 GF and 1 GA in pre-season, was very noticeable in a good way, and doesn't even get a sniff all year.

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Gleason as a leftie is buried by the depth chart. Unfortunate reality of the league for players trying to break in.

I think most likely he clears but if some non playoff team put a claim in I wouldn't be that surprised.

Reactions: McDoused

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He's looking at what Sorokin got and wants that + the difference if it were signed now. And I don't blame him.
So he wants to be paid on level with Hellebyuck whose contract also starts this year and is buying all UFA years. Thats stupid if Swayman thinks he’s worth as much as Helle, because he most definitely is not. He’d be lucky to land somewhere between Saros and Sorokin because he’s not clearly better then either of those guys.

You aren’t going to get much of anything for a goalie who’s never been a starter and is asking for 8-9M on max term, GM’s aren’t going to want to give up much just to end up in Boston’s contractual dilemma.

If Swayman wants to dig his heels in, he’s more then welcome to go play lesser comp in Europe or Russia for 2-3 years until the rights expire then come back and see if any team is going to give you an 8x8 deal even 2-3 years down the road. Doubt he’d have much luck and is likely settling for a 1 year prove it deal before anyone is going to give him big bucks and term after not playing in the league for a couple years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So he wants to be paid on level with Hellebyuck whose contract also starts this year and is buying all UFA years. Thats stupid if Swayman thinks he’s worth as much as Helle, because he most definitely is not. He’d be lucky to land somewhere between Saros and Sorokin because he’s not clearly better then either of those guys.
No, Swayman is making the absolutely correct call. If Boston doesn't want to pay him, then trade him.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No, Swayman is making the absolutely correct call. If Boston doesn't want to pay him, then trade him.
Well if someone is dumb enough to give up value for him and pay him 8-9M over 8 years then that’s what Boston should absolutely do but I’m sure they’ve already explored the trade market for him and they don’t like what they’re hearing. But they’re under no obligation to trade him, if he doesn’t want to sign the deal in front of him, he’s welcome to go play outside of the league for the next few years.

Boston has a great track record with goaltenders, they found Ullmark, they doing Swayman, they’ll be able to do it again if they have to.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gleason as a leftie is buried by the depth chart. Unfortunate reality of the league for players trying to break in.

I think most likely he clears but if some non playoff team put a claim in I wouldn't be that surprised.

Would have loved to see if he could play his off side. I can't imagine he would be worse than Brown on a 3rd pair. His very brief NHL career was playing with Lindell, who is a LHD. Just hasn't managed to get another opportunity.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Why would they do that?
Why don't they just pay him?

Well if someone is dumb enough to give up value for him and pay him 8-9M over 8 years then that’s what Boston should absolutely do but I’m sure they’ve already explored the trade market for him and they don’t like what they’re hearing. But they’re under no obligation to trade him, if he doesn’t want to sign the deal in front of him, he’s welcome to go play outside of the league for the next few years.

Boston has a great track record with goaltenders, they found Ullmark, they doing Swayman, they’ll be able to do it again if they have to.
Plenty of teams would, if that's the logic, they should trade Swayman, I'm sure they can just find someone.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Why don't they just pay him?

Plenty of teams would, if that's the logic, they should trade Swayman, I'm sure they can just find someone.
If plenty of teams were interested in giving up value in order to pay 8-9M long term for a goalie who’s never faced a starters workload then he’d be gone already. The relationship between team and player obviously isn’t in a good place, at this point trading him is likely preferable to signing him over 8M long term. But like I said, they’re under no obligation to trade him just like Swayman is under no obligation to sign under what he’s worth. Nobody has a gun to his head, he’s more than welcome to go play in another league for a few years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure, but given Gleason going on waivers one has to think Dermott is earning a contract.

Not to say that Dermott gets a contract and is here opening day as who knows if Gleason going waivers is an actual roster move or some sort of 3D chess trying to send him down early just to call him back later.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure, but given Gleason going on waivers one has to think Dermott is earning a contract.

Not to say that Dermott gets a contract and is here opening day as who knows if Gleason going waivers is an actual roster move or some sort of 3D chess trying to send him down early just to call him back later.
There isn’t no room for 8D on the roster. Only way Dermott gets a contract (and sticks) is if one of Stetcher or Brown also end up on waivers.

I could see them signing Dermott and sending him down to be the first call up though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad