Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
One thing that shouldn't be discounted is that in the McDavid era every single time we had a "glue" player that was more or less a dressing room mascot, the team has gone backwards after losing said player.

It makes no sense, and I still am not sure the validity of it, but the results are results. Hendricks and Gagner (the first go around) were cited as reasons the team was flat the next year. Maybe the calculus was that they didn't want that to happen again with the possibility of both Perry and Gagner moving on.

Ridiculous if true, but a possibility.

Yeah, you might be right.

Maybe controversial opinion but as great as McDavid is and he can sure as hell lead by example, I do wonder how well he actually brings or pulls the team together. Impossible for us to know when we sit behind a computer or phone. But feels like this team never gels until after January.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
It feels like we are picking between Philp and Lavoie as an extra forward. I'd think the smarter pick is Philp as an right shot center who seems to be good at faceoffs. The bottom six is about versatility

But there is something appealing about having Lavoie, especially with him as a natural fill-in player for Perry as RWs. Lavoie replaces the size and shooting ability and I just love the idea of Perry mentoring Lavoie.
As of now Perry will be mentoring Pod. We all can understand why he was brought back, think he was injured in the playoffs, can give a little more and gets under the other teams skin. With Kane out, who else can provide this? J Brown if he plays, Nurse if he can back to playing his game without taking dumb penalties. No one else on our team to play the role of villain.

If Perry doesn't do much else aside from rattling the other team then that's a plus. Still he is too old and really is a part time player. If we give up Lavoie for nothing, won't be too happy. Both Philp and Lavoie have looked better than Pod. Pod, if he gets his confidence back can be a really good player... really want him to outperform Holloway. Please don't be Virtanen or Perlini 2.0, please.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The one thing that Hoffman can do, the Oilers have in abundance. It was a weird PTO to begin with.

Perry occupies a different role. He's a "for the room" hire.
Not all players on PTOs are looking to sign with the team they are on a PTO with, his agent might of seen it as an opportunity to play with high end centers to show he still has it and within our org we might of just wanted more internal competition.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd feel a lot more comfortable heading into the season if we could flip Kulak + a pick for Will Borgen.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Borgen
Gleason - Emberson

IMO Borgen gives us some of the edge we wanted with J. Brown, but he can actually play and I see him as a good compliment to Nurse's style. Gleason's isn't as capable a defender as Kulak nor as polished, but he seems to have that knack for getting the puck moving in the right direction quickly and with some polishing I think he can contribute to positive possession differentials from the 3rd pairing and I also put a premium on puck movement for our team given the make-up of our roster.

Not calling it the perfect D to win us a Cup, but I think a better template to work off of.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I'd feel a lot more comfortable heading into the season if we could flip Kulak + a pick for Will Borgen.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Borgen
Gleason - Emberson

IMO Borgen gives us some of the edge we wanted with J. Brown, but he can actually play and I see him as a good compliment to Nurse's style. Gleason's isn't as capable a defender as Kulak nor as polished, but he seems to have that knack for getting the puck moving in the right direction quickly and with some polishing I think he can contribute to positive possession differentials from the 3rd pairing and I also put a premium on puck movement for our team given the make-up of our roster.

Not calling it the perfect D to win us a Cup, but I think a better template to work off of.
Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Emberson/Dermott

I do not think we need to look externally quite yet - yesterday was a good indication of where we are at, and J. Brown is NOT it. Emberson looked very shaky too, could be the pairing he was on as a whole but regardless.

Dermott and Stecher looked good, Stecher looked very comfortable activating on the rush, would be a decent pair with Nurse staying home and not making braindead plays; Stecher's first passes also looked sharp.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I'm not saying it's true, just that he deserves it. I think Dermott gets one, but I think Gleason has the edge for making the team out of camp. I would, as the Oilers, sign and waive Dermott to have him as an extra LHD

Gleason has impressed over two preseasons now. He's been better than the Coyotes trifecta by a good measure and I can see him being a solid third pairing guy with more experience. The only issue is handedness.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Gleason has impressed over two preseasons now. He's been better than the Coyotes trifecta by a good measure and I can see him being a solid third pairing guy with more experience. The only issue is handedness.
Sure, but the better players are more important and Gleason played a some shifts a RD last night, I suspect he can play both sides, though I couldn't tell you to what extent.

I will say, Gleason looks ALOT better this year, he was flashy last year, but once things got tough, he faded a bit, he's looked good against NHL competition. Seems to have more polish to his game.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Boston situation is interesting. Neely threw him under the bus, but what is the most games Swayman has played in a year? No more than 40?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Skinner + Kane + picks for Swayman, cmon Sweeney

This would solidify the goaltending position for the rest of the McDrai era. It’ll never happen but it’s fun to dream lol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Emberson/Dermott

I do not think we need to look externally quite yet - yesterday was a good indication of where we are at, and J. Brown is NOT it. Emberson looked very shaky too, could be the pairing he was on as a whole but regardless.

Dermott and Stecher looked good, Stecher looked very comfortable activating on the rush, would be a decent pair with Nurse staying home and not making braindead plays; Stecher's first passes also looked sharp.

One element I'm curious to see with Nurse-Stecher is if Troy manages to drag Nurse into more battles.

One of the biggest issues (of many) with Nurse-Ceci was the lack of pushback they brought, Both guys are over 6'3 and 210lb, that should have been a nasty, physically taxing pairing to play against and it just wasn't.

Stecher, being a true Napoleon complex on ice, is probably the Oil's quickest Dman to get into a scrap, and I'm hoping that gets Nurse more engaged vs. the neutered Darnell we've seen for the last few seasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Boston situation is interesting. Neely threw him under the bus, but what is the most games Swayman has played in a year? No more than 40?
It is a tough spot to be in giving a guy with those few games 8 years. At the same time they cornered themselves into this place.

Goes further than just this off-season too. They had a chance last year to lock him up, but never did. They had cap issues and elected to go a different route and now they are at this stand still

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like the true offer was now 7.8mil.

Wonder if Swayman is looking at the Lindholm deal and thinking you guys can give a guy like that who is so up and down that kind of money, but won't give me the money.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sounds like the true offer was now 7.8mil.

Wonder if Swayman is looking at the Lindholm deal and thinking you guys can give a guy like that who is so up and down that kind of money, but won't give me the money.
He's looking at what Sorokin got and wants that + the difference if it were signed now. And I don't blame him.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad