Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Elliott Friedman said on his latest 32 Thoughts that the Oilers aren't planning on keeping out Kane until playoffs because they want him playing NHL games before playoffs start so they he isn't rusty

Hard to say at this point.

Might be true. Might not be true. Could just be planting seeds so that it looks like they aren’t going to abuse the LTIR rule.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Elliott Friedman said on his latest 32 Thoughts that the Oilers aren't planning on keeping out Kane until playoffs because they want him playing NHL games before playoffs start so they he isn't rusty

Well

1.) Of course they're going to publicly say that for now. It looks to me like they are making it clear the recovery time is just short of the full season with the stipulation that it's the minimum time required. If the NHL wants to give grief later on, the Oilers can pull up these tweets and say "hey we were aiming to have him play".

2.) You can put someone else on the LTIR for say the last 12 days of the season if you really want Kane to get some games in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Risking a little rust in the first round + adding another 5M player, vs Kane playing handful of games before playoffs. Doesn't take a genius to do that math IMO. But, also don't expect the team to ever at any point lay out the plan they have for anyone. Around the deadline can release that Kane's rehab taking longer than expected and all will be well.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They have to say that but of course there is benefit to adding more impact players using Kane's cap space. He'd start the playoffs rusty but just the first round or so

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They’re giving themselves as many options as possible. Who knows what’s going to happen between now and when he’s ready to come back, they could have another ltir candidate, they could accrue enough cap to upgrade and bring him back before playoffs. They also have the option to send him to Bako for a conditioning stint, get him some game action if he has to stay on ltir until playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If it's really that big of an issue I'm sure probably there will be someone on the roster who will be willing to sit the last 2-3 games of the season to give Kane some reps.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
"Healthy Kane in the lineup is our trade deadline acquisition" - did Ken Holland not say this?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So he comes back for the playoffs. How much do you wanne bet if the Oilers out him on LTIR and replace him..we WILL see a change in the LTIR rule

Maybe sure. The problem with it is you get into a real dicey area if the NHL is complicit in forcing an athlete to come back and play before they are comfortable doing so. If there is an immediate injury, as a player I would sue the shit out of the NHL.

The NHL doesn't want that smoke because they're still trying to distance themselves from lawsuits due to concussion issues with ex-players, a list that's a mile long.

A court case where the NHL was shown to be forcing a player to come back and play before they felt ready would be a terrible, terrible look and even worse than that a real legal liability for them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Maybe sure. The problem with it is you get into a real dicey area if the NHL is complicit in forcing an athlete to come back and play before they are comfortable doing so. If there is an immediate injury, as a player I would sue the shit out of the NHL.

The NHL doesn't want that smoke because they're still trying to distance themselves from lawsuits due to concussion issues with ex-players, a list that's a mile long.

A court case where the NHL was shown to be forcing a player to come back and play before they felt ready would be a terrible, terrible look and even worse than that a real legal liability for them.
Exactly that last part. The league will not stick its neck out to make an accusation.

There also will never be a doctor who will say a player needs to get back on the ice, for the same reason

If we want Kane to come back game 1 of the playoffs, all we need is for him to get on board and say the right things

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If it's really that big of an issue I'm sure probably there will be someone on the roster who will be willing to sit the last 2-3 games of the season to give Kane some reps.
Sitting the last 2-3 games is not enough though. LTIR requires a player misses at least 10 games and 24 days.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sitting the last 2-3 games is not enough though. LTIR requires a player misses at least 10 games and 24 days.

Can that terminate once the regular season is done?

If not, then if they don't have a player who wants or needs to be out say 10 games, then what's going to happen is Kane ain't playing until game 1 of the playoffs, lol.

Simple as that.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

If not, then if they don't have a player who wants or needs to be out say 10 games, then what's going to happen is Kane ain't playing until game 1 of the playoffs, lol.

Simple as that.
Maybe we would look at whatever Stamkos did when he came back early (and I think Kucherov immediately sat on LTIR). That seemed like more than 3 games

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Exactly that last part. The league will not stick its neck out to make an accusation.

There also will never be a doctor who will say a player needs to get back on the ice, for the same reason

If we want Kane to come back game 1 of the playoffs, all we need is for him to get on board and say the right things

Yeah I don't think there's a doctor anywhere that would look at someone with double adductor surgery + double abdominal tear surgery + double hernia surgery and say "yeah after X days you should be forced to play by my opinion".

If I was a player and got injured again quickly, I would sue the shit out of that doctor and the NHL and for big money too, none of that "1 year lost wages", I would claim I could have had another 5 year contract at 5+ million so I'm suing for $25+ million and throw on some extra for emotional damages.

I don't think the NHL wants to open this pandora's box.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Simple as that.
To be honest I am not 100% sure how this works.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe we would look at whatever Stamkos did when he came back early (and I think Kucherov immediately sat on LTIR). That seemed like more than 3 games

Yes I vaguely remember something about this stuff too, they juggled some players around so Stamkos could get some games in.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Tullio with 2 assists so far tonight. We lost the trade. :sarcasm:

looks like every player that used to be an Oiler becomes a god in pre-season. Can we make money betting on that somehow using one of the dozen gambling products the NHL is promoting?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Without Kane our forwards group doesn't look all that deep.
Our 4th line is now our 3rd line.
Podkolzin, Ryan, Perry not much of a 4th line.
we could use a gritty waivers pickup at start of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad