Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So I'm trying to figure out if I finally understand the accrued cap space/LTIR situation we face. Please let me know if I have this all correct.

Without having to put Kane on LTIR, we currently have 946K in cap. If we let that accrue until the deadline (and not use our LTIR), we can take on about 4.3m in AAV salary. If teams retain 50%, that could be 8.6m. If we really paid through the roof and got double retention on everyone, that's 17.2m?

Then, if we wanted to add more, because the cap space has already been accrued, we could LTIR Kane until the playoffs and could add an additional 5.125 in salary?

Obviously not all of that would happen, but if we wanted to go insane at the deadline, we could find a way to bring in 22.3m in salary? Or do I need more sleep? lol
I think the 946k is with a 22 man roster which includes Kane, who won’t be playable, so really it’s a 21 man roster. I believe we would have about 170k in cap space with a 23 man roster which technically includes Kane on IR so really it would be a 22 man roster.

I may be mistake but I’m pretty sure if Kane is on IR he still occupies a roster spot and definitely his full cap still counts.

If the team designates Perry in favour of Lavoie then they would have about 500k in cap space to start the year.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Many of you are just nuts. Nurse isn't going to be worth his $9.25M and has flaws, but you treat him like he's barely an NHL player and that's just not the case, and if you think it's the case you're an idiot.

Not be worth his contract and not being an NHL player are VERY different things.
Think we unfairly attach at lot of Holland's managing errors to Nurse. If we weren't paying rough $6.5M (or 7.5% of the cap) to buyouts and performance bonus carryovers, the couple of million overpay to Nurse wouldn't look so bad.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Think we unfairly attach at lot of Holland's managing errors to Nurse. If we weren't paying rough $6.5M (or 7.5% of the cap) to buyouts and performance bonus carryovers, the couple of million overpay to Nurse wouldn't look so bad.
Absolutely, you're spot on. He had a monster year and was a pending UFA right when a bunch of "similar" guys got massive pay days as UFAs, Holland was too eager to give him big money, so here we are.

I expect him to be better this year, I think Coffey can help him be better and more consistent. I want him to get his swagger back.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
you are underestimating Hamilton.

my Girlfriend of 14 years is from Hamilton as is her family. They are leaf fans. most the of the GTA and surrounding areas (including Hamilton) are leaf fans. from city centre to city centre they are 68 KM apart and the way the area is populated its basically a giant city and in no comparable to Edmonton and Calgary.

Could a Hamilton team succeed? maybe, the league is harder to get into today than it was i
n the 70's. I don't see many hamiltonians dropping the leafs to cheer for a Hamilton team. Hell Ottawa has almost failed many times over the years and struggled to get a fanbase and take ground from Montreal. Ottawa had to wait 15 years for the kids who were fans to grow up and spend money. Would a Hamilton team have that patience?
That's because that's the only game in town. They have a farm team that they support over the leafs farm team. they have a CFL team they support over the Toronto team. I also recall, long ago, there was market research done showing that an NHL team would be successful in Hamilton (I think that was back when the Blackberry dude wanted an NHL team), They certainly have the population.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
you are underestimating Hamilton.

my Girlfriend of 14 years is from Hamilton as is her family. They are leaf fans. most the of the GTA and surrounding areas (including Hamilton) are leaf fans. from city centre to city centre they are 68 KM apart and the way the area is populated its basically a giant city and in no comparable to Edmonton and Calgary.

Could a Hamilton team succeed? maybe, the league is harder to get into today than it was i
n the 70's. I don't see many hamiltonians dropping the leafs to cheer for a Hamilton team. Hell Ottawa has almost failed many times over the years and struggled to get a fanbase and take ground from Montreal. Ottawa had to wait 15 years for the kids who were fans to grow up and spend money. Would a Hamilton team have that patience?
For starters, very sorry to hear of your girlfriend and her family and their affliction. You are indeed a brave soul to insert yourself into that mess, so kudos. As for Hamilton having an NHL team, why not? I think if Ottawa can support one, then Hamilton should surely be able to as well. Plus, it has the potential to get ugly between the Laffs and Hamilton during games, so there's always that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad