Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Something might since the probability of Kane getting officially LTIR'd is now extremely high. I really really don't want to go into the season with the defensive roster we currently have. Aside from that Bouchard & Ekholm pairing, it's absymal. Emberson might impress but gifting him top 4 minutes would put too much pressure on him.

We need an upgrade. I just can't see who we'd be bringing in that could help us before the season begins. If something wild like a trade for Zub or Carrier happens I'll eat my hat!
He might get LTIR right before the deadline so they maximize the cap accured along with the 5 million from Kane.
Would be almost 10 million in space.

Reactions: Duke74 and McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He might get LTIR right before the deadline so they maximize the cap accured along with the 5 million from Kane.

Yup we're going to have plenty of cap room at the deadline.

Other thing to consider is generally speaking selling teams retain salary, so Kane's $5.125 million could effectively function like $10+ million in cap itself if the teams we're dealing with are willing to retain 50% on a player or 2-3 players in different deals.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers demonstrated an ability to have the cap space so it’s not true that they handled it any differently than other teams have. It’s not a matter of not having the cap space it’s about making the correct decision to not overpay for non contributing players, which brings us to the next point. The players on the teams you suggested, unlike Holloway and Broberg, have actually proved they can play and contribute to a team consistently.
What prevented them from trading Ceci before the offer sheets to create some cap room to mitigate their vulnerability? After the offer sheets were made the horse was out of the barn and the valued cheap contracts gone. It was a pretty easy decision after the decision was made for them by the market.

I've been pretty clear on the difference of Harley and other quality free agents. As proven NHL players, the probability is lower a team will not match and clearly why maintaining cap space important. Broberg and Holloway were uniquely positioned as a dual threat and a dice roll to get them under a threshold with real cost of first round or higher (and which is traditionally matched because of more proven performance which also reflects on smoother development). This was a decidedly different offer sheet situation on multiple levels.

Anywho, as discussed with Cloned, there's a 200 page thread on this covering all of this group and more. We can run around the pole again there or via DM. But quite honestly the conversation is stale and clearly my pov is tiring people. Inviting the use of the Ignore function for some peeps but really this has been thoroughly beaten to death in its dedicated thread.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I hope this our version of the spleen job.

Why the f*** not Makar. He's not better than Makar.

Nurse already makes more than Makar. Makar messed up :) His contract is meaningless now. And in 2 years Makar can sign for 14M x 8.

Dahlin and his 59 points and -3 is unfortunately an easy one to grab onto for Bouch. If we want to try to sign him early. Bouch can always take his chances and wait. Chance at another 80+ point season, a huge cap increase and offer sheet potential would be hard to pass up. He would also get to wait for McDavid to blow through the highest salary ceiling again with the new cap increase.

What an epic fail not signing Bouch long term last year.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Further proof that the Oilers didn't lowball Holloway, or if they did that's the standard.

Predators Sign Philip Tomasino to One-Year, $825,000 Contract​

Good work on a player with little threat of offer sheet. Even floated in speculative trade rumours as a package deal to the Oilers.

Coincidentally maybe not coincidentally, on the very same day the offer sheet bomb dropped the Predators moved out $2.5 million cap Cody Glass for no cap return. Penguins were busy bees that day. Predators acted to give themselves cap room and flexibility.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Good work on a player with little threat of offer sheet. Even floated in speculative trade rumours as a package deal to the Oilers.

Coincidentally maybe not coincidentally, on the very same day the offer sheet bomb dropped the Predators moved out $2.5 million cap Cody Glass for no cap return. Penguins were busy bees that day. Predators acted to give themselves cap room and flexibility.

Clearing space for Nurse ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
This news opens up a lot of options. I'm no capologist but when I heard the news I thought of three distinct possibilities. There are likely more and I'll await to see every interprepritation and the strategies behind each and every one of them and the likelihood of each happening.

Reactions: McHelpus

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Frank Seravalli on Oilers Now:

- Kane has changed things for the Oilers (if LTIR). If out for the entire year, Oilers could have around 9 million to spend at Deadline
- Believes Ty Emberson will breakout this year
- Bob is hinting at Ristolainen
- Andersson is unlikely

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

- Kane has changed things for the Oilers (if LTIR). If out for the entire year, Oilers could have around 9 million to spend at Deadline
- Andersson is unlikely

Potentially it could be more than this, if the team selling is retaining on the incoming player, then the amount you have to spend increases. Most deadline deals have some retention.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I didn't say anything about offer sheets. I said that they didnt lowball Holloway. Some fans were upset that we didn't offer him like 1.5-1.8M.

If anything the fact that Nashville moved glass after the offer sheet just reinforces what I'm saying. The preds didn't have the cap room and could have been targeted.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Potentially it could be more than this, if the team selling is retaining on the incoming player, then the amount you have to spend increases. Most deadline deals have some retention.

Ya Kane out for the entire year (maybe I’m reading too much into it but I swear he smirked in his press conference about being out), would mean we can potentially add like 20 million in rentals after retention. Thats a seriously huge amount of talent to bring in

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

- Andersson is unlikely

Ristolainen is the opposite of what we need.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Ya Kane out for the entire year (maybe I’m reading too much into it but I swear he smirked in his press conference about being out), would mean we can potentially add like 20 million in rentals after retention. Thats a seriously huge amount of talent to bring in

In theory the Oilers would have around 5M in accrued cap space and 5M in LTIR for 10M total use. With double retention we could acquire guys at $0.25 on the dollar and have 40M or half a roster.

I don't think cap space will be the issue, it will be the assets.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Maybe Coffey could work his magic with him, there's a lot of talent there, but yeah it'd be a risk.

I think Torts has gotten a lot of the stupid out of his game, but the trade off has been his offense has evaporated.
Sounds exactly what they need.

No stupid and offense is secondary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad