Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Except zero teams would offer Robertson $2.3 million. So it's really a non issue as the player didn't have an RFA pedigree big mobile d-man as wingman through this process. Even which he's a much more narrow player type than Holloway. The real prize was always Broberg. The opportunity space was a 2 fer situation.
Nobody expected any team to offer Broberg 3x what he’s worth and Holloway 2-3x what he’s worth either. Let alone one team doing both.

You expected the Oilers to account for a team being stupid and overpaying two RFAs massively on offer sheets?

I’m the first to get on management’s case when they f*** up but this isn’t one of those times.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You expected the Oilers to account for a team being stupid and overpaying two RFAs massively on offer sheets?

I’m the first to get on management’s case when they f*** up but this isn’t one of those times.
Hard to get young big skilled puck moving d-men NHL ready entering prime year production. St. Louis had the need, cap space and opportunity. They moved on Oiler vulnerability. The risk is low with a couple secondary picks and some cap space mitigated by a big LTIR Krug salary and position and a walkaway option at year 1 with one-third buy-outs. Reasonable bet on youth versus rehashing old veteran free agent market.

There was never a 0% risk of offer sheet on two available RFA's. Especially one that asked for a trade this season. Unfortunately low likelihood based on history became 100% certainty and the Oilers off-season forced by external market to veer off in a new, unexpected direction.

Just the facts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean doesn't that basically seal the deal that Kane is out for the regular season?

One single aductor can be 6-9 months healing time alone, but even if we say that's accelerated up to 7 months, that's basically the entire regular season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hard to get young big skilled puck moving d-men NHL ready entering prime year production. St. Louis had the need, cap space and opportunity. They moved on Oiler vulnerability. The risk is low with a couple secondary picks and some cap space mitigated by a big LTIR Krug salary and position and a walkaway option at year 1 with one-third buy-outs. Reasonable bet on youth versus rehashing old veteran free agent market.

There was never a 0% risk of offer sheet on two available RFA's. Especially one that asked for a trade this season. Unfortunately low likelihood based on history became 100% certainty and the Oilers off-season forced by external market to veer off in a new, unexpected direction.

Just the facts.
You can rationalize it from a Blues perspective but that’s basically irrelevant to putting the blame on Oilers management.

Do people blame the Ducks for not matching Penner’s OS, or the Habs for not matching Kotkaniemi’s? You could also make a strong argument that Buffalo screwed up by matching the Vanek OS, and he was an actual 40 goal scorer, not someone with potential like Holloway or Broberg.

Generally you shouldn’t match extremely overpaid OS even if you have the cap space.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Except zero teams would offer Robertson $2.3 million. So it's really a non issue as the player didn't have an RFA pedigree big mobile d-man as wingman through this process. Even which he's a much more narrow player type than Holloway. The real prize was always Broberg. The opportunity space was a 2 fer situation.
Two unknown quantities for approximately $7 million. Fantastic deal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So what's the best way to play this? Keep Kane on IR until the trade deadline and then put him on LTIR right at the deadline to allow cap to acrue?

Then we have that acrued cap and we have 5.125 to spend (potentially more with likely retention)?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This was why a Barrie PTO/signing might have been a sneaky good play... you give him the primo PP time for the regular season instead and force Bouch to prove he can be a true top pairing guy 5-on-5. You might see Bouch's numbers drop to 60-70 points instead of 80+ which means some cap savings while also making him a better player overall.

Is it worth burning that bridge ahead of a lengthy extension for what may end up only being $1-2M? Probably not, which is why JJ is the Prez and not me. I still think a fair number ends up being $10-10.5.
Adding Barrie or DeAngelo to run the PP would not help the Oilers at even-strength. At worst, it would be viewed as a spiteful move by the Bouchard camp.

I think it's fair in the negotiations for the Oilers to point out that Bouchard doesn't PK (two minutes less each game than, for example, Makar). They also should play Bouchard away from Ekholm for stretches, if they can afford to do so. Both of these asks are reasonable litmus tests to determine a fair AAV on a long-term contract - basically, does Bouchard deserve perennial Norris trophy candidate money?

North

Jun 25, 2009
You can rationalize it from a Blues perspective but that’s basically irrelevant to putting the blame on Oilers management.

Do people blame the Ducks for not matching Penner’s OS, or the Habs for not matching Kotkaniemi’s? You could also make a strong argument that Buffalo screwed up by matching the Vanek OS, and he was an actual 40 goal scorer, not someone with potential like Holloway or Broberg.

Generally you shouldn’t match extremely overpaid OS even if you have the cap space.
I’m not sure there is any point in trying to get through. BEL is entrenched in his position regardless of the validity of any argument made.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

I'm not rationalizing anything. It's what happened. There's logic and reason to their execution right down to the specific financial amount. And to your first point, of course it was a surprise, it's the only real way offer sheets can work. Oil thought they made a calculated bet despite numerous vulnerabilities.

What happened a decade ago is irrelevant. NHL management have seem to accept the consequences of their decisions. At least no barn fight being planned. Rarely used, teams are more selective with defense and centres. High end proven talent is likely matched.

The Oilers were cooked immediately once those offer sheets were signed. They did know Broberg was an unhappy player with an in-season trade request. They chose to try to smoke out two players and the market reset the value to make it not viable. The margin is in the latent potential of the two young players. Low risk to St. Louis where their team is at and high risk/not affordable to the Oilers. Mousetrap worked.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hows Hoffmans skatings now a days? He used to have good speed in Ottawa no? He seems cooked, but a PTO doesn’t hurt so long as he actually has to earn a contract (a guy like Erne didn’t earn one last year imo and was given one anyway).
Holland liked his size so I get it. But that’s why Erne didn’t stick just had size

Nobody expected any team to offer Broberg 3x what he’s worth and Holloway 2-3x what he’s worth either. Let alone one team doing both.

In hindsight it makes sense why stl did but I’m not overly mad.

I think something is coming in the next two weeks
Ya hockey tony

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not rationalizing anything. It's what happened. There's logic and reason to their execution right down to the specific financial amount. And to your first point, of course it was a surprise, it's the only real way offer sheets can work. Oil thought they made a calculated bet despite numerous vulnerabilities.

What happened a decade ago is irrelevant. NHL management have seem to accept the consequences of their decisions. At least no barn fight being planned. Rarely used, teams are more selective with defense and centres. High end proven talent is likely matched.

The Oilers were cooked immediately once those offer sheets were signed. They did know Broberg was an unhappy player with an in-season trade request. They chose to try to smoke out two players and the market reset the value to make it not viable. The margin is in the latent potential of the two young players. Low risk to St. Louis where their team is at and high risk/not affordable to the Oilers. Mousetrap worked.

Well I’ll agree that it was a mousetrap because both Holloway and Broberg are rats.

Still can’t see how you’d place the blame for this on Oilers management.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Two unknown quantities for approximately $7 million. Fantastic deal.
For a capped out Oilers team, no bueno. Said as much in my first reaction to the offer sheet news. Different story for the Blues. Reasonable risk of some money, secondary draft assets, and a low threshold walkaway after 1 year of one-third salary. Open roster position at LD across from quality veteran options Parayko or Faulk. Holloway a salary reach to push the likelihood of securing the real target.

That's how free agency works. There's no certainty that any player lives up to market driven prices. Standard process is to bet on old veteran's past performance. This is a bet on young NHL ready pedigree players only entering peak year performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad