Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The leafs absolutely didn’t leave cap to protect against an offersheet
The Leafs had $955,333 in cap space remaining after their free agency work. Robertson was never a threat for RFA signing and they closed the loop with a cheap signing likely to facilitate a trade.

Adding that he didn't have a RFA buddy at a more desirable and harder position to acquire from which to leverage against.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This was why a Barrie PTO/signing might have been a sneaky good play... you give him the primo PP time for the regular season instead and force Bouch to prove he can be a true top pairing guy 5-on-5. You might see Bouch's numbers drop to 60-70 points instead of 80+ which means some cap savings while also making him a better player overall.

Is it worth burning that bridge ahead of a lengthy extension for what may end up only being $1-2M? Probably not, which is why JJ is the Prez and not me. I still think a fair number ends up being $10-10.5.

Inhibiting his biggest strength in order to diminish his results is certainly not the right way to go.

Please don't risk something like that with a player like this. Get him signed. Then there is no worry with him. With the top 6 we have this year, he may get over 82 points

What risk? He's an RFA.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So what you’re saying is they didn’t leave cap space and squeezed their RFA.
No I'm saying that middle fringe wingers are most plentiful supply option and easiest positionally to replace. Added that he didn't have the benefit of a big mobile age 23 puck moving RFA buddy to leverage against. Offer sheets aren't squandered on easy replaceable pieces.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The way Bowman talked about Kane, he expects him to be out for a LONG time. I do wonder if they put him on LTIR to start the season and use that space on immediate help on that RHD spot.

Brad Holland replacement? :D
Depends. Bowman also said the next two weeks are heavily important when it comes to their top 4 RD solution. Maybe we see a player fall out of favour and we jump at the opportunity?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
No I'm saying that middle fringe wingers are most plentiful supply option and easiest positionally to replace. Added that he didn't have the benefit of a big mobile age 23 puck moving RFA buddy to leverage against. Offer sheets aren't squandered on easy replaceable pieces.
Holloway is about as replaceable as they get.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The way Bowman talked about Kane, he expects him to be out for a LONG time. I do wonder if they put him on LTIR to start the season and use that space on immediate help on that RHD spot.

Brad Holland replacement? :D
I didn't have the sense from his interview. Pretty cautious about medical information rightly so that it should be communicated by their medical staff. Think Stan is likely a better poker player than GM Ken Holland. See what they have in camp, assess waiver wire opportunities when it comes up. Had a good answer about Emberson in which I think one of his underrated value-adds will be his deep knowledge and experience with U.S. hockey pipeline (Emberson, Fischer).

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The Leafs had $955,333 in cap space remaining after their free agency work. Robertson was never a threat for RFA signing and they closed the loop with a cheap signing likely to facilitate a trade.

Adding that he didn't have a RFA buddy at a more desirable and harder position to acquire from which to leverage against.
and if some team offered Robertson 2.3mil they would walk from his as we did from Holloway.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He’s going to be out for quite a long time.
Still, unless he’s out all year, we don’t gain any benefit from putting him on LTIR

Holloway is about as replaceable as they get.
Robertson is probably the better player right now also.

But apparently the oilers should’ve kept 6m in space open so we could overpay our RFA’s.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
and if some team offered Robertson 2.3mil they would walk from his as we did from Holloway.
Except zero teams would offer Robertson $2.3 million. So it's really a non issue as the player didn't have an RFA pedigree big mobile d-man as wingman through this process. Even which he's a much more narrow player type than Holloway. The real prize was always Broberg. The opportunity space was a 2 fer situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad