Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’m sorry, I just disagree with the notion that a goalie who only plays acceptable hockey in half his games is anything other than garbage.
You said he "sucked all playoffs". You're moving the goal posts.

These were his goals against in Games 4-7 of each series.

Game 4 against L.A. - 0, a game he outright stole
Game 5 against L.A. - 3
Game 6 against Vancouver - 1
Game 7 against Vancouver - 2
Game 4 against Dallas - 2
Game 5 against Dallas - 1
Game 6 against Dallas - 1 (outright stole this one)
Game 4 against Florida - 1
Game 5 against Florida - 3
Game 6 against Florida - 1
Game 7 against Florida - 2

That's a crapload of 1's and 2's with 2 of those games being Skinner thefts, 3 or less in each game with all but two of those games being 2 or less.
He played his best in the biggest games so, yes, while he had some bad games in the first 2 series, he did not "suck all playoffs" which was your original statement. The numbers are staring you right in the face if you choose to read them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You said he "sucked all playoffs". You're moving the goal posts.

These were his goals against in Games 4-7 of each series.

Game 4 against L.A. - 0, a game he outright stole
Game 5 against L.A. - 3
Game 6 against Vancouver - 1
Game 7 against Vancouver - 2
Game 4 against Dallas - 2
Game 5 against Dallas - 1
Game 6 against Dallas - 1 (outright stole this one)
Game 4 against Florida - 1
Game 5 against Florida - 3
Game 6 against Florida - 1
Game 7 against Florida - 2

That's a crapload of 1's and 2's with 2 of those games that were all Skinner with 3 or less in each game with all but two of those games being 2 or less.
He played his best in the biggest games so, yes, while he had some bad games in the first 2 series, he did not "suck all playoffs" which was your original statement. The numbers are staring you right in the face if you choose to read them.
We’ve already had this exact conversation lol.

You post how he had good numbers in the back half of a series and I post how he set the team back in every series with laughably horrible stats in the front half of every single round:

Round 1: 2-1, .890 sv%
Round 2: 1-2, .793 sv%
Round 3: 1-2, .897 sv%
Round 4: 0-3, .868 sv%
4-8 overall, .867 sv%

And in nearly a 1/3rd of a regular season worth of hockey. Skinner stole two games. TWO. And you’re trying to argue that is anything but bad?

Maybe I could have chosen my words better: when I say he sucked the entire playoffs I mean as taken as a whole, his playoffs sucked. You can't be straight up dog shit for the first half of every single round lol.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

You post how he had good numbers in the back half of a series and I post how he set the team back in every series with laughably horrible stats in the front half of every single round:

4-8 overall, .867 sv%

And in nearly a 1/3rd of a regular season worth of hockey. Skinner stole two games. TWO. And you’re trying to argue that is anything but bad?

Maybe I could have chosen my words better: when I say he sucked the entire playoffs I mean as taken as a whole, his playoffs sucked. You can't be straight up dog shit for the first half of every single round lol.
I think Skinner is perfectly fine for the role.

Neither Saros or Helly were amazing for their teams in the playoffs last year. Stu outdueled Oettinger. Bob had TEN games in the playoffs last year that were under .900. Two of which were under .800

We always notice the bad in our own players far more than we ever will on any other team. Stu has been getting better every year. We can absolutely win a cup with him. Especially as we improve the product in front.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Skinner is perfectly fine for the role.

Neither Saros or Helly were amazing for their teams in the playoffs last year. Stu outdueled Oettinger. Bob had TEN games in the playoffs last year that were under .900. Two of which were under .800

We always notice the bad in our own players far more than we ever will on any other team. Stu has been getting better every year. We can absolutely win a cup with him. Especially as we improve the product in front.
He's still young. Hopefully he gets better and develops more consistency. He wasn't good enough last year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

4-8 overall, .867 sv%

Goalies outright stealing games in the playoffs is not all that common and I'd say that Game 4 against L.A. in a 2-1 series and the Western Conference championship clinching games are pretty good games.

This all stemmed from you saying that he sucked all playoffs, I never said that he didn't have some bad games.
If you look at his playoffs as a whole, the good outweighed the bad and he got better as the playoffs wore on as I indicated in the previous post. He outdueled Oettinger and largely went toe to toe with Bobrovsky. The Reinhart Game 7 goal is one he'd like to have back but when you let up 2 goals you're pretty much doing your job, top guys went MIA in the Florida losses.

With that said, Skinner still has inconsistencies to improve upon but most goalies in the league are inconsistent nowadays. There's like 5 really good goalies and a whole whack of guys including Skinner below that. Bottom line is that he gave them enough goaltending to win a Cup.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Goalies outright stealing games in the playoffs is not all that common and I'd say that Game 4 against L.A. in a 2-1 series and the Western Conference championship clinching games are pretty good games.

This all stemmed from you saying that he sucked all playoffs, I never said that he didn't have some bad games.
If you look at his playoffs as a whole, the good outweighed the bad and he got better as the playoffs wore on as I indicated in the previous post. He outdueled Oettinger and largely went toe to toe with Bobrovsky. The Reinhart Game 7 goal is one he'd like to have back but when you let up 2 goals you're pretty much doing your job, top guys went MIA in the Florida losses.
Agree to disagree. Not many teams are winning a cup with .901 goaltending. It's as simple as that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This recollection is also wrong.

Canucks had 3 shots in the final 10 minutes of that game. Skinner gave up a goal on 2 of them. After they scored the second time the Oilers thankfully didn’t give up another shot on net. Skinner wouldn’t have stopped a beach ball at that point.

Cam Talbot was twice the goalie Skinner was when he represented us the one time we made the playoffs with him here.

Oh sorry, he must have made all those saves in the back half of the second/early 3rd. As if that matters.

Cam Talbot stunk in the series against the Ducks and was a factor in the loss, especially in Game 3. Time heals all wounds apparently.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oh sorry, he must have made all those saves in the back half of the second/early 3rd. As if that matters.

Cam Talbot stunk in the series against the Ducks and was a factor in the loss, especially in Game 3. Time heals all wounds apparently.
Cam Talbot posted a .923 sv% in that 7 game series against the Ducks and a .924 sv% in that run as a whole. On a mush worse team than this current one. If we had anything even remotely close to that level of goaltending over the last couple seasons we'd be back to back cup champs.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Cam Talbot posted a .923 sv% in that 7 game series against the Ducks and a .924 sv% in that run as a whole. On a mush worse team than this current one. If we had anything even remotely close to that level of goaltending over the last couple seasons we'd be back to back cup champs.
Yeah people need to understand Stuart Skinner and Stuart Skinner alone cost this group 2 cups.

He cost this city 2 cups.
Your family, your friends, the elderly barely hanging on to see their team win another one.

Stuart Skinner robbed us all.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Harley received an offer sheet it would be a much bigger payday than what Broberg got. It’s not the same thing
If a team sent Broberg an offer sheet a team absolutely sent Harley one. He just didn’t sign it. Harley is better than Broberg will ever be.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Believe what you want. He’s been straight trash two playoffs in a row. .901 isn’t close to good enough. Cost the team multiple games. Garbage back breaking game winner in game 7 too.

A real goalie in net and the Oilers sweep the Kings, beat the Canucks and Stars in 5 and beat Florida in 6 or 7.
It absolutely is close to good enough. Bobrovsky just won the cup with a .906

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If a team sent Broberg an offer sheet a team absolutely sent Harley one. He just didn’t sign it. Harley is better than Broberg will ever be.

That’s the thing. The primary reason why offer sheets don’t work is because the players don’t actually sign them. I think agents use the threat of them more than fans think but I think both sides are generally amicable and careful of what they actually do. In Brobergs particular case, I don’t think he wanted to be here so he was happy to sign it. And in Holloway case, apparently his agent was only working for him, and he probably just got bad advice and was coaxed by Broberg and his agent.

People can blame Jackson and Bowman all they want but they werent worth those deals and I personally don’t think Broberg wanted to be here anyway. Holloway just got played, got bad advice and was in the cross hairs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll give Skinner some credit, he did make some big saves and had stretches of solid play in the playoffs.

That said all this sophomore babying the guy shit is now over. He's had two full years as a starter now, is turning 26, six different playoff rounds including a game 7 of a Cup Final ... there's no more excuses.

He better be ready to cook this season from day 1 and show improvement in his game. I expect better from both his regular season and playoff numbers. No ifs, ands, or buts.

.905 in the regular season needs to go back above .910 minimum.

.901 in the playoffs needs to be well over .905 at least.

These aren't unreasonable asks, considering this team was relatively effective at choking out high danger chances.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’m sorry, I just disagree with the notion that a goalie who only plays acceptable hockey in half his games is anything other than garbage.
Florida just won the cup with a goalie who posted under .900 10 times.

Skinner posted under .900 11 times.

I guess Florida just won the cup with a garbage goalie, so it is possible to win the cup with a garbage goalie.

I wonder where you'll be moving the goalposts to after this one, backs gotta be getting sore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad